Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Question

Hi Everyone, I am having my surgery June 5th and I keep thinking of so many questions. I am wondering about certian foods. My husband is a lobsterman and we eat tons of Lobster, do you think I will still be able to eat that ? Also I am a huge diet coke drinker, I know it is so bad for you so not having it I am sure will be a positive thing even thought I love it. My Dr said that you cannnot drink carbonated beverages at all, is that true ? I love fast food diet cokes so knowing I may not be able to have them I order one or two every day just to enjoy until my date comes. I know I will be sucessful with the band becuse I will be to afraid to eat things that can clog the hole. Has anyone ever had this happen and if so what caused it to get blocked ? Thanks so much Any advice you can give on any subject that you wish you would of known I would be so grateful to learn. Thank so much I am counting down I have 14 days left !!! Yay Kim:)

Yah Kim,

The lobster (yumm) will be fine.

The carbonation is what is bad about the soda. It is hard I had diet mountain dew withdrawl. Then when I put those size 18 jeans on my withdrawls disappeared with the lbs.

good luck,

edie

Kim,

If you ever need any help eating that lobster, I'm happy to volunteer!

Yeah, unfortunately, unless you let your coke go flat and try it that way, carbonated beverages are out.

Hi Kim, I have found things like lobster and snowcrab go down great, yum! I was a diet coke addict too, I had it for Breakfast, lunch, dinner and everything in between. I thought I would never be able to give it up. But, it was actually easier than I thought. And, a couple of months ago the hubby and I were travelling and stopped at a rest area. We were both thirsty, but all the machine had was sodas. So, he got one and we decided we would stop at the next exit to get me something. I decided to take a small sip of his diet coke and immediately spit it right back out. It tasted completely disgusting and the carbonation felt totally foreign and weird to me.

KIM, congrats on your upcoming BEING BANDED! I have no regrets.. I had lobster for the first time since being banded over the weekend! it went down fine.. although the snowcrab was easier to eat.. It sure was good.. as far as carbonated drinks-- my doc says they can stretch out the portion above the band, that's not good.. what's the point of being banded? Now, my sister has been banded for 2.5 years... She just started drinking carbonated drinks and does fine w/it... but she has already lost all of her weight (102 lbs) She looks great! She doesn't drink them every day.. just on occassion. I'm 6 mos post op and not really wanting to try them, b/c i know that I will want them more & more..

good luck w/ that and keep us posted

I have had no problems giving up diet cokes at all. I just kept trying different crystal lite (and similar) flavors til I found one I like a LOT. Now I'm hooked on Propel berry flavor, adding lots of fresh lemon. I drink 60 oz of this per day and never get tired of it!! So refereshing!

bread got me stuck and chicken fingers (for some reason!). Neither of which are good for me, so I"M GLAD I can't eat them!!!

I can't eat chicken nuggets/strips.. it has something to do w/ the breading.. it swells and comes up.. same thing with onion rings.. it has to do w/ the batter-- if they are really crunchy, i can eat it.. but if it's not crunchy forget it~

I have no problem with lobster (yummm), crab, chicken breast, Pasta, bread, ... - you name it! everything goes down perfectly, just make sure you chew it very, very well. I've had 6 fills in over 2,5years I've been banded. Every now and then, on special occasions, I have a little Diet coke (try to have it flat because carbonation is not good for your pouch).

niki