Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So much pain.

Just had my surgery at 10 am pst yesterday. Was discharged today and just got home.

They have me on Lortab but it doesn't seem to be helping much. Honestly, when I'm sitting or laying down I'm pretty much fine but the second I start to move in any way that engages my abs the pain jumps immensely.

I don't think I've ever been in this much pain.

How long did it take for you guys to start feeling better?

Just take it easy. I was fortunate that I was just sore and achy, but I understand many people require pain meds even post op. If you are still in that much pain tomorrow call your doctor and get a script for something,

I would say walk walk walk. The more you walk the better and faster you feel. Walk past the pain not easy but you can do it.

When you are not walking, either sit in a recliner that can give you a boost up, or lay on the bed with yourself propped up a bit. You could sit in a straight back chair and use your arms to push up. You just don't want to get sunk down into a piece of funiture that will cause you to strain your abdominal muscles when you rise.

I was one of the unfortunate ones, pain was excruciating, took 3 weeks for me to start feeling better. Everyone is different though.

My pain was gone around the 7th or 8th day. I was merely uncomfortable. Hang in there, it will get better and you'll be happy with the results.

I had a horrible post op experience. I was sleeved on 12/15. I could not tolerate any pain medication due to severe nausea. The only thing that helped me was walking and moving around. It was very painful, but I knew if I didn't move, the muscles would get sore. I take walks around my house many times a day and insist on getting in and out of bed by myself. Splint your tummy with a firm pillow. That really helped me. Good luck and remember "this too, shall pass."

I was pretty sore for about 3-4 days post op. Couldn't afford the crazy $150 pain meds they prescribed, so it was just me and good old liquid Tylenol. It started to noticably fade out after that and I was back to school by day 5, obviously still moving a bit slower than normal, but still mobile.

Just curious, did they give you a "compression belt", for lack of a better term?? That helped me immensely. Made it easier to get in and out of bed and also walking around since it helped with the downward pull from gravity on my gut. (heehee, sorry for the visual) :)

No, no compression belt. Getting up has gotten a little easier since I first posted, I'm also walking more upright now (it felt like it was pulling too much to do so before).

Now I'm dealing with coughing. Moved recently and my allergies kicked into overdrive with all the new pollens, etc. and I missed three doses of my Allegra at the hospital. Coughing up phlegm is pretty excruciating.

I'll look into a compression belt because using a pillow doesn't help at all.

The gas pains are there, but they're a walk in the park compared to the muscle/incision pain even with Lortab every four hours.

Yes the sore muscle pain is the worst. I guess they use the muscle as a site to "pin" a suture to hold things internally in place. Ouch! Also, did you get one of those little pastic contraptions to practice exhaling?? That is crucial in helping your lungs expand back to normal. Also, helps keep away possibllity of getting pneumonia. If not, all the walking around will help with this too.

Good to hear the pain is showing signs of improvment. All in good time dear, just keep moving, it really does make a difference in the speed of recovery. :)

I had to use the spirometer several times a day in the hospital. It really did help because it reminded me to take deep breathes when I was in the hospital. I noticed the first few days I was home there was some phlegm and congestion starting to build up and I just reminded myself to sit up as straight as possible and do a few deep breathes. I wouldn't have thought about it unless I had had to use that machine.