Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much weight can i expect to lose with gastric sleeve

I am having gastric sleeve in about 3 weeks. I am currently at 244lbs, 165cm on Optifast diet.

This is my body composition analysis taken a few weeks back:

Weight: 248.2lbs/ 112.6kg
Standard weight: 132lbs/ 59.9kg
Lean body mass: 134.4lbs/ 61kg
Body fat: 113.75lbs/ 51.6kg
Soft lean mass: 54.7
Total body water: 43.9
Mineral: 6.3
Protein: 10.8
Body fat percentage: 45.8

My goal is to reach 144 - 148lbs. Is this achievable?

I am having gastric sleeve in about 3 weeks. I am currently at 244lbs, 165cm on Optifast diet.

This is my body composition analysis taken a few weeks back:

Weight: 248.2lbs/ 112.6kg

Standard weight: 132lbs/ 59.9kg

Lean body mass: 134.4lbs/ 61kg

Body fat: 113.75lbs/ 51.6kg

Soft lean mass: 54.7

Total body water: 43.9

Mineral: 6.3

Protein: 10.8

Body fat percentage: 45.8

My goal is to reach 144 - 148lbs. Is this achievable?

Good luck with your upcoming surgery. While you have provided a lot information, I'm not sure I understand all of it. If you have 134 lbs of lean body mass, then if you lose lean body mass in addition to fat you can reach your goal. However most of us are trying to maintain or build our lean mass and only lose fat so at 144-148 lbs that would only allow for 10-14 lbs of body fat which it totally unrealistic. That said, I assume we all lose some of our lean body mass in the beginning. In which case, yes if both your lean body mass and fat percentages reduce, you can reach your goal. Again, I may not be correctly understanding your stats above so forgive me if my answer is flawed.

Let me tell you about what I know for certain. Ultimately you drive your results. My surgeon set a goal that I felt was too high so I set my own goal and worked until I reached it. My goal included weight but also body fat percentage and BMI. The only limit you have are those that you set for yourself.

@@erp Thank you for your reply. My doctor did not speak anything about goals or how much weight i can expect to lose.

Correct me if i am wrong, but your starting weight and height was somewhere around mine? How long did it take for you to reach your goal weight? Your progress is really motivating. I am going to do all i can i reach my goal weight!

Yep, your goal is totally achievable! You can definitely do it.

@@momohime Thank you! I am very nervous about the op, and this really makes me feel better ,that it would all be worthwhile at the end. Your weight loss is impressive, over 125lbs in 7 months? Wow.

If you keep your lbm... Which is muscle and bone.. 20 percent body fat would put you about 160. Losing muscle costs you calories and losing too much bone can lead to osteoporosis. Possible but not wise.

I would say it all depends on how much work your willing to put into it most numbers are achievable if you do the work. Good luck!

There's pretty much no way that you can NOT lose some muscle mass along the way. It doesn't make it "unwise" because things are redistributed. When I was at my highest weight, 260, about 132 of those pounds were lean body mass and the rest was fat. I needed more muscle then because I was so heavy overall. Now my whole body weighs 132 pounds, ~100 of which is lean body mass and the rest is fat. That puts me around 23% body fat, at a healthy BMI, etc for my height and current weight. I don't need to still be 132 pounds of lean body mass because I have less weight to carry around on my frame. Yes, I lost muscle.. but no, that alone is not bad. It's normal for my current size. (It is very important to get your protein/vitamins in daily because, while you can't completely stop losing lean muscle mass along the way, you do want to minimize it as much as possible so you're not "skinny fat".) Yes, my BMR is lower than what it was when I was heavy. It's not because of all the muscle I lost, it's because I'm generally just smaller.

And my numbers at the side are slightly misleading.. I was 260 at my highest pre-op, but I lost 30 pounds by day of. I'm almost to 100 pounds lost post-op after >7 months. Still though, my surgeon (and everyone else for that matter!) is very proud.

Guys what can i do to achieve my goal? Apart from following exactly what the doctor says ,is there anything extra i can do? Like how many calories should i burn and take in a day if i want to lose as much as i can?

Doctor advised me to start my preop diet about 10 - 14 days before. My calorie intake should be 1000 a day, can i drop any lower than this? I am planning to start my liquid diet 21 days before so i can lose as much as i can before. Is this advisable?

Currently i am on 3 shakes & one light meal a day.

Sorry for all the questions, i am new here and its nice to talk to people who have gone through this before.

Edited by grace1989

@@erp Thank you for your reply. My doctor did not speak anything about goals or how much weight i can expect to lose.

Correct me if i am wrong, but your starting weight and height was somewhere around mine? How long did it take for you to reach your goal weight? Your progress is really motivating. I am going to do all i can i reach my goal weight!

I hit my initial goal of losing to 140 lbs in 13 months.