Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To fill or not to fill....

So I am having a dilemma about getting filled. I have some restriction, I really do. I still get food stuck sometimes but I don't know if it is due to my restriction or due to me taking too large of a bite. But I can eat way too much on occasions. Like when I was upset about my plateau and took out my frustrations on a double cheeseburger from Mcdonalds (with bun). If I can eat a whole burger then I should need a fill right?

I know I am eating way less than I was before. But I feel like I can eat too much still. I don't know if I really do need this fill but I am too scared that it will cause me to have to give up things I have been able to eat (bread, chicken, etc) or if I am just one of those people who is able to eat anything. Any advice from some veteran bandster would be fabulous!

If you can eat a double cheeseburger with bun, you should get a fill!

Dr. Trace Curry Cincinnati, Ohio

Got a question? Ask the doctor at Trace W. Curry, M.D. Lap Band Surgeon :: Home

Participate in our forum--> Trace W. Curry, M.D. :: Index

513.559.1222 / 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: If am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

Boy you sound exactly like me. I can't decide if I should get one or not. I am not losing weight. When I went to the doctor, he said I didn't need one because I had just lost 5 lbs after being on a plateau for 3 months. So now I have decided I am getting one at the beginning of June if I haven't lost anything this month. I don't want another very long plateau.

Then when I get something stuck, I think I am never getting another one again. But really it's my own fault if something gets stuck, from eating too fast or not cutting my meat up small enough.

You can get a small fill. You may have to give up some of the things you can eat for a while, but it's probably worth it.

bread is always a problem for me, and I feel the same - I am due a fill on Saturday and don't want to do it! But although I feel much better having lost weight I am well short of my target, so I need to knuckle down and do it.

The best advice I ever had was to point out that you can still eat anything - it's just sometimes it is only a tiny nibble.

I am a little new to this situation, I was banded on Apr 12, 07. I got filled 4cc in a 10cc. I am having a hard time eating anything, and I'm a little sore (like heartburn). I hope I've simply tried to push it a little too hard, maybe went back to 'real food' too quick. I hope I haven't slipped, I would assume that's be really painful though. Is this normal to ahve a little discomfort after a fill if on'e seaten to quickly?:help:

Go on liquids for at least 24 hours and if it doesn't help, call you dr. You can't necessarily tell when you have slipped. Everyone tells me we are supposed to go on liquids for 24 hours after a fill and some people do mushies for the next 24 hours after that.

In your position, I've opted not to fill. Its not that I *cant* give up foods like bread because it would be well worth it, but that I've gotten to a normal weight anyway without giving them up and I just dont want the downsides of a bandster lifestyle, PBing and getting stuck all the time. Obviously the restriction I've had, whilst some would call it inadequate, has been enough for me.

So I'd even disagree politely with DrC there, in that if you're losing weight, you dont necessarily have to get filled just because you can eat a cheeseburger. You'd need to be filled if you couldnt stop yourself eating cheeseburgers, but if you can make good food choices and eat sensible amounts with little fill then there's no need for any more fill, unless you find you're overeating all the time and stop losing.

I *can* eat a cheeseburger but I dont choose to 99.9% of the time so I wouldnt say I need to be filled.

I was banded in Canada because I did not meet the criteria for a US surgery (obese, but not obese enough). I am having the same fill or no fill questions. My experience with eating has been not a feeling of fullness, but one of food stuck in my throat. After 3 bites, I am still very hungry but no more food will fit because it is backing up into my throat. Not always, though. Sometimes I am amazed with the quantity I am able to tolerate and have no "back up". I am hesitant to fill because I want the feeling of being "full", not choking so I CANT eat. To be filled, I have to fly to Canada, which I am willing to do, but I would probably be more apt to fill if I could go to someone locally.

Jacqui,

I definitly think if I were much closer to goal I would probably opt out of the fill. I am jsut frustrated about my plateau I am on right now and I think the fill is the best idea (seeing as I have already gotten it). It has definitly helped me curb my appetite and I know it is impossible at this time to eat a cheeseburger. I am at the point now where I would not even try it and I think I really needed that help at this point.

Oh, if you're not losing its entirely another matter! I would get a fill too in those circumstances. Its more that I've often thought along various stages of my journey "how come I can eat this and others cant" and wondered if I should have more fill, but then, I was losing so couldnt see why in the world I would. Its so individual for people that it can become very confusing.

And me personally, I'd trade being able to eat bread for getting off a final 6 or 7kg in a heartbeat but I *wouldnt* trade being 6 or 7 kg lighter with difficulty eating, not being able to eat out or pbing with any regularity. I would have traded that for being 40kg lighter though!

I am so frustrated with the not losing part. I am just hoping that it is because I am gaining a little bit of muscle. I started working out majory on the 1st of this month and that is when the plateau hit. I am just hoping now I am going to start burning some weight. I walk 3 miles a day, 6 days a week. I am doing the couch to 5K (week 3 now) 3 days a week. I also ride my bike a few days a week or play tennis. I have been way more active than I ever was before so you would think eventually it is going to pay off. I was just not expecting a plateau at month 3!