Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post-op and in a car wreck!

Okay...so my surgeon said I could drive 5-7 days after my surgery. I was banded on 5/14 and today being day 5, I decided that I was ready to go out. Besides, I needed to go to the Vitamin Shoppe and get those New whey Protein bullets as I have been having a hard time getting all of my protein in and the one they gave me in the hospital was pretty good.

Well...long story short, I was attempting to change lanes and looked behind me to "safely" change lanes, when I looked up again, the car in front of me had stopped and though I tried to swerve and miss him, I ended up hitting the back left hand side of his car with the right hand side of my truck. Noone was hurt, and my truck is still drivable (though there is probably a good $3k worth of damage) but I am worried that I may have done something to my band seeing as I am only 5 days post-op. I don't hurt or anything, and I can still drink my liquids and protein bullets so I think I am okay. What do you all think....should I be worried???:)

(PS...I was NOT on pain meds...haven't used those since the day after my surgery)

I've never had a car accident...I'm so mad at myself!!

I drove 3 days after surgery with minor discomfort. However, I did not have a wreck. I would call your doctor and inform him of the accident even if you do not feel any different. He might tell you what to look for if there was damage done.

Good luck!!!

Okay...so my surgeon said I could drive 5-7 days after my surgery. I was banded on 5/14 and today being day 5, I decided that I was ready to go out. Besides, I needed to go to the Vitamin Shoppe and get those New Whey Protein bullets as I have been having a hard time getting all of my Protein in and the one they gave me in the hospital was pretty good.

Well...long story short, I was attempting to change lanes and looked behind me to "safely" change lanes, when I looked up again, the car in front of me had stopped and though I tried to swerve and miss him, I ended up hitting the back left hand side of his car with the right hand [/url] side of my truck. Noone was hurt, and my truck is still drivable (though there is probably a good $3k worth of damage) but I am worried that I may have done something to my band seeing as I am only 5 days post-op. I don't hurt or anything, and I can still drink my liquids and protein bullets so I think I am okay. What do you all think....should I be worried???:)

(PS...I was NOT on pain meds...haven't used those since the day after my surgery)

I've never had a car accident...I'm so mad at myself!!

I agree you should contact your doctor's office. Just to be on the safe side

23_14_21.gif

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb098&pp=ZUxdm265MJUS

Oh My gosh - I have been following your journey on the may band month. You might want to call the dr and let them know what happened once the shock wears off from the accident. I am glad that no one was hurt.

Remember - Accidents happen like that - The very same thing happened to my husband and all worked out well - Let insurance take care of it and make sure you are ok with your port and the band. Are you bruised from the seatbelt???

Caring in Seattle...

Thanks everyone for your replies...I think I'll try to get ahold of someone at my Dr's office tomorrow. I have my one week post op appt on Monday so I guess if I can't get someone tomorrow, I'll be okay until Monday.

I don't have any bruises or anything...I'm not even sore. I don't think I hit the car that hard, but my husband said it was a pretty good whack. I'm such a goober.

Thanks everyone for listening and caring...I really appreciate it!

laureli,

Be careful--- hunger from surgery could be clouding your judgement. It happens, many people don't realize what hunger and low blood sugar do to people who are susceptible to it.

Evilah

Oh my goodness, how awful for you. I am glad no one was hurt though. I agree with the others, I would call your surgeon and tell him what happened just to be on the safe side. I hope everything from here on out is better for you.

What a scary experience. Be well.

Oh, you poor thing! Car accidents just suck, no matter what the reason. Thank goodness no one was hurt, that's the really important thing.

I know how shaken up you must be. Try not to be too hard on yourself; accidents can happen to anyone. :hug: