Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone taken up Bycyling?

B-Thanks for the reply on the bikes...here's the thing. I already have an upright stationary bike, but I just hate it, so I don't ride it. Gonna list it on e-Bay! Now, I also happen to have a road bike and a trainer...BUT, I am uncomfortable in the drop down position at my current weight. I was wondering if a recumbent might be a better option simply because of positioning. I understand that you get a good butt and hamstring workout on those, but also can make you a bit lazy because of the reclining position. My husband is irritated with me over all this...he says ride the one (either one) I've already got, get used to the road bike so that I can spend more time in the saddle this spring and summer. I think he is probably right, but you know it is...I can't let him win! ha ha

I really am frustrated with all this. My arguement with him is, if I will RIDE the recumbent than it's better than anything we already have!

{{{stomp}}}

Okay...apparently I can't say all that I wanted to in one post! Sorry!

Yes, I have a surgery date...April 10th! WOO HOO! I was a little bummed that it wasn't sooner, but I don't want to complain either. I have eaten so badly over the last few days...like now that I know I won't get to have it, I seem to want it. Uh-oh, is that a bad sign?

~C

b

yea, French Lick...LOl has it's perks with the name...haha

Actually it is very pretty country up around here. Lots of hills and valleys. We ride allot over at a place called Patoka Lake, and it has some big hills.

Yes, I felt confident enough to actually change the ticker.....end of December and January I kept going in between what my ticker was at 251, and 257......I finally lost the 6lbs I had gained and than finally got below 250....Of course this is where I wanted to be at the end of December, but hey...I wont argue.

B....Hang in there.....it will kick your butt soon enough and you will be back on track. The band is something that we have to learn to live with. It is something new, and we can't be excpected to never make mistakes or fight with it.....you know???? So hang in there....

I am not sure I have introduced myself to C...but welcome....

Hi Hoosierpoms! Nice to meet you! I'm Carol. Not yet banded (I'm sure you saw the post), love to ride bikes (road bike currently), and been on LBT for a week hoping to make some friends!

I'm trying to get back into the swing of exercising again...it's so hard to get motivated.

I live where it's flatter than a pancake! ha ha Great for biking though, just no fun to look at.

Which initial are you?

~C

I was wondering if a recumbent might be a better option simply because of positioning. I understand that you get a good butt and hamstring workout on those, but also can make you a bit lazy because of the reclining position.

Easy on the Lazy - there are times you don't have to work as hard as an upright, and times that you have to work harder. On flat land, I burn about the same number of kcal/min with recumbent as on upright (reduced drag offset by higher micro-adjustments for balance), uphill I burn more (can't put body weight into it by standing up on the pedals), and downhill, who the hell cares, but I do go "Wwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" Highest recorded speed on buttercup (my bike) is 42MPH (GPS matched clyclocomputer).

If by lazy, you mean technique - well, maybe. There are different techniques depending on style of recumbent. At the end of the day, though, are you riding for technique to race competitively, to ride around the block, to burn many calories, to ride with the local bike club, to ride across the US, or like me, half-way across France & Back. Of this list, the only two that raise issues for recumbent riders are racing (if you want to race in UCI sanctioned races or in triathlons don't even contemplate recumbents - they aren't allowed due to their competitive advantage), and sometimes, riding with local bike clubs - some can be snobby about recumbents. There are, however, racing organizations that allow (embrace) recumbents - most notably the UMCA which sponsors the annual race across america (RAAM). For distance riding, RUSA has no concerns with recumbents.

My arguement with him is, if I will RIDE the recumbent than it's better than anything we already have!

{{{stomp}}}

Bingo - the bike that you will ride today is far better than the bike you might ride in a few months...

Oh...and I'm glad you got to eat something yummy for dinner tonight! :rolleyes:

Meeeee tooo!

Okay...apparently I can't say all that I wanted to in one post! Sorry!

Yes, I have a surgery date...April 10th! WOO HOO! I was a little bummed that it wasn't sooner, but I don't want to complain either. I have eaten so badly over the last few days...like now that I know I won't get to have it, I seem to want it. Uh-oh, is that a bad sign?

~C

It'll be here before you know it. I think it's common for people to indulge a little before having the surgery. One thing for me was mourning over the "loss" of certain foods, certain restaurants, etc. You'll get there.

b

yea, French Lick...LOl has it's perks with the name...haha

Actually it is very pretty country up around here. Lots of hills and valleys. We ride allot over at a place called Patoka Lake, and it has some big hills.

Yes, I felt confident enough to actually change the ticker.....end of December and January I kept going in between what my ticker was at 251, and 257......I finally lost the 6lbs I had gained and than finally got below 250....Of course this is where I wanted to be at the end of December, but hey...I wont argue.

B....Hang in there.....it will kick your butt soon enough and you will be back on track. The band is something that we have to learn to live with. It is something new, and we can't be excpected to never make mistakes or fight with it.....you know???? So hang in there....

I know how that goes - I'll lose 10, wobble up & down around 5 pounds, then a month or so later, start losing again. It does feel good to see the scale go down, though!

Good night all!

B

good nite b....

it was great talking to all of you tonight

C....I remember when I got my surgery date...I was so excited....I also remember I had to go straight to my liquid diet, and I though OH no, no last meal..But you know..there is no sense in it, because I still can eat what I had before, I just cant have 2 big steaks anymore....DId I really need that??NO of course not.....

So, enjoy the next few months, and before you know it it will be here.

Now where are you from C?? I am sure you have said, but I am not going back through all the pages if I dont have to..LOL

Well, I better get going,

Take care

Traci

Hi carol

I am HP, short for Hoosierpoms

I cant say that I live near flat land becuase it is mainly hilly around here..which is good and bad

I started this process last year about this time. I went to the doctor in Feb(family doctor) and was 336, went for my first consult in April, and surgery was May 31. It has been an interesting time, and my husband and I started cyclying together in Late May. I have a hybrid bike and am upgrading here next month. I love being outdoors....it is great.

Well, if you ever need anything, please feel free to ask, and you are more than welcome to email me as well.

HP congrats on the breaking of 250.

C congrats on the surgery date.

B congrats because you rock.

J congrats because you are looking so tiny.

We had a blast at the Water park yesterday. The kids had a great time. I ended up taking both Korrine and Jared with me. They had an amazing time. The girls went on the big waterslides and Jared had fun playing on the little slides. J talked me into going on the big ass slides (I haven't been on a slide since I was 16 or so and got freaked out by this huge one) but I couldn't sit there and be called a candy ass. It was fun. The hotel had an amazing buffet dinner too. Yes I said buffet. Allison thought it was humorous because J and I were not trying to "impress" each other by seeing who could eat the least. It was damn good food and us former fatties know we have to eat good food. =) Anyhow it was tons of fun.

Good morning everyone!

BG and J- welcome back and I'm so glad you had so much fun!

HP-I'm from Findlay, Ohio-Home of the Hancock Horizontal Hundred (HHH) What kind of bike are you upgrading to?

B-Oh my goodness, I didn't mean for 'lazy' to offend. I had hired a personal trainer last year, who wouldn't let me ride the recumbent-she would always say that to me because you don't use your arms on the stationary recumbent bike. I disagreed with her because either way if it raises your heartrate than you are benefiting from it. Our best friends own a bicycle shop here in town, and he sells recumbents too. They sell very well and lots of people ride them in the HHH. As far as what I'm riding for: well, all of the above! Sometimes it's just leisurely fun, sometimes with the bike club and hopefully, eventually I'd be in good enough shape to consider a race. Who knows? :rolleyes:

You all are right about surgery. It will be here fast. I think even though I know I can eat everything, just smaller portions once it's done, I am worrying about that "last meal".

Have a great day everybody!

~C

Yo my people.

We had a fantastic time with BG and her kiddos. Jared, her little boy is so cute makes me want to have another one! Buffets are evil though. Now I have to rebreak my carb addiction. Good thing Korrine kept both of us from getting more food. I was jonesing for some icing as well. heehee

I like beign called tiny, but you are the one needing a smaller swim suit. BG is looking ittybitty!

C-When is the HHH? BG and I were talking about doing a ride together and Findlay is smack dab in the middle of where we live. BTW, if you're up for a 100 mile drive a bunch of LBT Columbus chicas are getting together next week Saturday at Polaris Mall. If you don't know it, it's north of 270 on 71. Check out the Columbus thread for more details. One woman is like you, waiting for surgery....love to meet ya.

B-Give me chance to search the internet for a recipe similar to the ones I use so I don't have to type them into the computer. Glad you got some brisket down. I will majic bullet meat with some warm broth when I really can't chew it well enough. Meatloaf Soup looks like warm vomit, but it tastes better than it.

I'm staying out the upright/recumbant bike discussion. All I'll add is you got to ride something, do something if you want to really lose the weight. If you'll actually get your butt on a recumbant and not an upright, then it looks like a pretty easy answer.

Hi HP. Cute pic! Congrats on the weight loss.

I'll be posting a pic of me and BG shortly.

StacyandJuli2-2.jpg

Stacy, Hope you don't mind.

Look two chicas, minus 200 pounds together! Showin' some skin no less.

We could be an ad for Target swimwear. Or not....

Great pic!!

J-Love Polaris! I didn't even know there was a Columbus thread! haha

The HHH is held every year in September (I think Labor Day weekend). The ride starts at Findlay High School, they have a pancake Breakfast there, vendors and registration. They break up the ride into 32 mile, 60 mile and 100 mile so that every level can participate. Free SAG is provided, free Snacks at each stop ( I think there is a stop at every 25 mile mark) a T-shirt. It's a lot of fun. It's also nice because it's so flat here! The site is not updated with this years date, but you can check out hancockhandlebars.org and they talk about the ride. I'm not sure when they will decide and post the new date. That would be great if you all came here to ride it!

September is a bit far out to plan...but certainly I'll keep it in mind. I say that but we are planning the August MuddyBuddy thing.

Check out the Columbus thread and tell me if you'll be able to make it. I'll be there. Hopefully with out Zoe, but maybe with her. In that case it will be a quick visit for me. I'm trying to get a sitter.