Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone taken up Bycyling?

Hoosierpoms, YES!! it feels awesome to do something you couldn't do before. When we first got up in the mountains my husband wanted to check out some fishing stream outside Estes Park, it was abotu a half mile hike in and I said right away, no way! I'll wait in the car. He promised it was flat and a path. Well the path was just beaten down weeds, but I did it and then just built my confidence the rest of the day. I can't believe the mileage you guys put in and am so impressed!

Turler, I'm in the 'burbs of Denver, I grew up here, but moved away 25 yrs ago and just recently back. Today was my first time on Trail Ridge as an adult! I love to go up there in the fall too and watch the elk bugle and fight. It's better than the UFC on TV!

Areellady, you love mountain passes? going down or up? ;)

Hi all - I'm really happy to see this bicycling thread. I've believe that cyclists are the best folks to "hang" with!!

Banded 9 days ago, not yet cleared to get back on my beloved "Lil' Red". I can hardly wait! No mountain passes in my part of KY (as the discussion has been referring to) but there are some challenging hills... I LOVE to ride hills.

I look forward to clocking some miles with y'all in the near future. In the meantime, thanks for being out there. Take care - and wear your helmets!;)

2bhealthe....YOU LOVE HILLS???? I know what Kentucky has, and You are right there are tons of hills.

I am in Indiana, and we have our share as well......in fact.....as long as they are a good rolling hill and than a climb I am all good...but to just out right climb...whew!!!!

Congrats on your banding.....I was itching so bad to get back out on my old single speed bike after my surgery it wasnt even funny. Now I am on a road bike...LOL. How 1 year can change you.

D...You are on !!!! My goal is to at least get the training schedule in at least and that is 112 miles. So, weather permitting, schedule permitting, that is my goal.

Your speed last night was amazing....what is the roads like when you get that kind of average??

triple L.....I know...I find it amazing to not be afraid to go out and "try" to do something I was afraid of doing before or something I couldnt do.....

Keep it up

g

OK D...

Remeber I said I'd go to the gym for you? Apparently I haven't made it there yet. BUT I did go for a walk yesterday! I hadn't walked in a long time, so I only did 2.5 miles, but I can totally feel it.

And then I did the stupidest thing. You'd think I'd learn?? I hadn't eaten anything yet yesterday, and It was 91 degrees out. I was plenty hydrated and even took Water with me... Anyway. After my walk I felt fine. I was tired and REALLY sweaty, but I needed to run by Dollar Tree to get a couple things... while in line there alllll of a sudden my blood sugar just waved goodbye. My vision was almost completely gone, mostly just black flecks floating around and every voice and noise sounded like it was coming through a tunnel. It was really awful. I reached over and grabbed some sugary beverage that claimed to be fruit punch and dropped my purse trying to open it up. I drank about half of it, while sitting on the floor. People staring at me. I was in line to check out... so sitting in the floor drinking was very noticable. Other than being embarrassed, I'm fine.

So yeah. From now on I need to EAT. Duh. I've always had blood sugar problems, cause I'm insulin resistant. (opposite of diabetic.)

I DID finally change the seat on my bike though. (Lol) I've been using the same old broken seat I bought the bike with... So yay for new seat. I was going to take it out for a spin yesterday, but with the heat decided to just walk instead, and after the blod sugar episode, I'm GLAD I only walked. Hahaa! But yes, hoping new bike seat makes riding more pleasant for me... I've still not mastered being aboe to do any hills at alllll or even just more than 3-5 miles. I'm slow. Bah!

ZZZ

That's not a fun way to learn a lesson. But at least you now know you need to eat.

All you new folks, WELCOME!

Hey Kentucy, Where are you at? I rode in Lexington this Spring at the Horsey 100. It was beautiful and hilly and beautiful. I'm in Ohio in Columbus.

D, You're on fire as ususal.

HP, You're so inspriring.

My ride yesterday got shortened, as I was one of the ride coordinators and someone had an asthema attack so a few us rode back with her to the starting point. I got 19 miles, the other riders who didn't cut it short got 30. I'm a little jealous but felt obligated...

BG, Deloris, the hybrid bike is ready to be ridden and on her way to Michigan today. Alison will bring it to the MB. That's only 2 weeks from today........I'M SO EXCITED!!!!

Over and Out.

wow

the board has been quiet today.....

I got in 23.5 tonight which pushed me over my weekly goal of 103 miles I had to get in for my training.....I went over by 15.10..woohoo!!! GO ME!!!!!

Actually, we skipped out on the afternoon ride with our friends due to the heat, and went out instead with our daughter this evening. She was poundin the pavement and seeming to have a pretty good time....

I had some issues at first with my seat and knee pain...so we moved the seat back, and I am hoping that will take care of the ouch of a pain.....The new multi release cleats are ok........i have allot more movement with them, and I can get out easier...which is good...but I do still see going with a new style for next season...we will see...been checking them out....not sure....just yet...

Hope all that got out today stayed cool....

I have to get in at least 112 miles for next week........I am going for at least 120......anyone up for some fun???????????

OH Juli - I am in Bowling Green (South-central KY). We have a ride coming up on Aug. 16th for the Kidney Foundation with 8, 20, 44 and 60+ mile courses. C'mon down - the routes are mostly flat! I usually ride sweeper for the 8-mile route because most folks in the club don't want to do that route. I say "more power to kids and whimpy riders!" We all have been there at one time or another!! :ohmy:

HP - I can't wait until my doctor's appt on Friday and clearance to ride. Of course, there is a part of me that is afraid of how much endurance I have lost over the past couple of weeks. Your goal for mileage is so motivating, and I'm green with envy.

Used the time since surgery to get my bike tuned up, put on new handlebar tape and brake pads. Brought it home yesterday, so I just pat it and say "soon baby". :biggrin2:

Mary

2bhealthe...

You live in Bowling Green?? WOW...I am about 2.5 hours from you!!! I live about 30 miles North of Jasper, In. I am a member of the Jasper cycling club and they have a couple who may actually be riding in your ride coming up. I am leaving for Florida on work that day, or I would be coming as well. Sounds awesome.....DO you have any other rides during the year scehduled???

Hey..I have to set a goal, or I will come home after work and sit on my butt...LOL

BG...How awful!!!!.....

Mary,

My niece is getting married that day, and I'm graduating with my BS the day after, so maybe next time.

Looks like you and Traci (HP) live close to each other. Well in LBT terms less than 3 hours is close. BG and I live 3 hours apart and tend to get together every few weeks.

You are right about people needing to start somewhere. I remember when less than 5 miles was a struggle.

BG,

That's tragic. Who was drunk, the cyclist or the driver? I'm so sorry for their families.

just checking in at lunch..in class this week

D....where the heck are you???

Oh, boy, a day of thunderstorms here.

Went to the resevoir yesterday and had a blast. I didn't tube. I wanted to, but didn't.

Probably not getting in my 38 miles tonight, one, because of thunderstorms and two, friends are coming in from out of town and we are having dinner.< /p>

Hmmmm, could get out the trainer....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I just might!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So sad when someone dies needlessly

Oh, I forgot to tell you all what the radiologist said to me as I am getting ready to go into the MRI machine. He says, " I may have to reposition you before we do the spine pictures, because with bigger people sometimes the neck needed to be moved around to get the best picture." I want to kick him.....I said, "wow, you should of seen me last year at this time if you think I am big now".....he was stumbling over himself then.......I was not too happy about that....I thought to myself, I guess I am still fat looking...that was not too good on the self esteem.