Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone taken up Bycyling?

Hi my little vegetarian buddies. I made a risotto tonight for my wheat allergic friend and her vegetarian daughter. It was sooooooooooo good. But yeah, straight up carbohydrates for me...Peas and green onions with thyme and parmesan.

ZZ,

One thing you can do is get a friend to hold up your back wheel and pedal the bike with their hands while you shift your gears. And see what you are doing and where the chain is moving. Most people have three on the front and most people do flat riding with the chain on the middle gear. You move to the littlest ones for going up hill (I'm pretty sure, unless I'm backward, which could be the case.) You move to big one for going faster but it takes more effort. Mostly however, you don't play with the front ones much.

The back ones the rules are the same about using the littles for going up hill. I typically ride with it on the biggest one in the back, then as I hit inclines I pop one or two to help get up the hills, (or seven, then move to the little one up front, also known as the granny gear) then I pop them back down as I'm going down hill so I can pedal out of the decline and bust ass...but that's not what you need to be doing just yet.

So the idea is figure out where the shifters sit when the chain is way high and way low in the back. Feel for the resistence. Also, only shift gears while pedaling. Never while you are stopped.

Now, while riding the goal is to pedal consistently (cadence) and to do that quickish, not to push, grunt with each rotation of your legs. You get overly tired that way, you are giving it too much effort. But that's like cycling 207, not 102.

101, you've got down. You know what a bike is! I love that pic you posted, btw.

Hope this wasn't too much information. Hope I was right too.

How To Shift Your Bicycle's Gears

THanks J. I've looked online a bit about how to shift gears and such. I think mine just confuse me because they aren't numbered like the new bikes. Lol. I need to figure out what works. I like your suggestion about having someone hold up the bike and hand pedal while I shift. Maybe I'll tag my roomie for that sometime this weekend. :)

veg food is so yum. My lasagna is good - though I made the mistake of using cheapie fat free cheese on top and it didn't melt so much as clump together and turn hard... Ugh. Once I peel that layer off it's OK. Haha. Wish I had enough energy to go to the store and buy a better cheese to put on top. Lol. Oh well. Anyway, I used the Boca 'meat' crumbles and some diced mushroom peices to make it and its good. :banghead:

On a random note, this is one of my favorite sites on the web:

bunnyshop shopping fashion blog

And what's cool is that I have always loved fashion. Always. But it was kind of out of reach for a poor chubby girl and then really out of reach for a super morbidly obese woman, but now...now aside from the panic of dressing this body I've never had before I'm in love with clothing and all things bright and shiney.

Now, eventhough I won't spends gobs of money because of the transition between sizes, I'm sucking up all the fashion stuff I can! I love this site too because they are Etsy :: Your place to buy and sell all things handmade fans and review make-up!!!

Thought I'd share.

ETSY - OMG! That is a fantastic site! I make jewelry myself, and there is some gorgeous handmade jewelry on there! I have never heard of this site before...thank you, J!

J, could you possibly stop off in D town and drop off some of that Risotto on your way up? Hehe. That makes me kinda hungry and I can't eat in the mornings.

Good morning all my bycyle lovies. I have some major afterglow from last night. Yeah riding does it for me.

J - Yes, that rissotto sounds awesome!

BG - So glad you are loving Big Sexy! I hope you get a warmer ride soon!

ZZ - I totally heart lasagna!

Where is everybody today?!?!?

Wow! I have been trying for 2 days to catch-up where I left off. Seems all of you have stepped up the chatter a few notches!!!

I have been a mental wreck latley more so than usual. I have endured months of no fill, some fill, no fill, some fill, hospital, no fill, no fill, some fill, hospital and finally revision surgery and no fill. I have kept from gaining weight until the last month. I had to go buy some new fat clothes, as I am really packing it on right now and can't seem to slow it down.

I feel there is hope, I will see my Dr. next Friday and try to get a good fill. I haven't posted much because I don't like to bring negativity to such a committed and successfull group. I hope you are all well.

Now on to what has inspired me to post. Juli, your updated photos, WOW, I am kinda welling up with tears as I wriite this, but, WOW, you have not changed yourself since the Indiana ride. The more fitting word is TRANSFORMED! You should be so proud of yourself! Seriously, you are a new you, and I am damn proud to know you!

Take Everyone, JnofreakinfillweightgaininassC

JC - I'm sorry to hear you are having such a hard time of things. I am adding you to my daily prayer list for a speedy resolution to this. I hate to hear that you are feeling hopeless...it's not true! You have come almost all the way through this trial and persevered so well, regardless of gaining a little recently. You have accomplished too much to discount it all now. I don't know you well, but I know you enough to know that you are strong and determined. I hope that this is just an emotional "phase" that we all tend to experience and you will be feeling like your funny self before long. I'm sure the doc will have some answers and will make you feel better. No matter what, we want to hear from you always!

Im swapped with stupid work

Going to take my bike in for a tune up tomorrow. thinking about doing an 88mile bike thing around lake winniebago in August

Well we went to buy a bik rack for the truck and we ended up with a Giant OCR2 for my husband to.they had to order it but it will b in in 2 weeks Since we both took a med frame I can switch off and ride it to.I am excited for him it was time he upgrade. JC I am sorry it is bad right now I hope with a fill u will get back on track it sucks ecause I didn't do well during the winter either. Take care

Thank you for the encouragement Stef. and I will always take all the prayers I can get.

On a brighter note we haven't had one of these in a while...... That's right! a new TOY alert!!!! Where do I begin???? How bout a new Tilt smart phone with GPS for starters. Followed by a new Camelback for proper Hydration and last but not least a travel trailer, I plan on doing some mountain biking this summer and I am bringing a house with me!!!!!

post-219402-13813136706731_thumb.jpg

post-219402-13813136707068_thumb.jpg

post-219402-13813136707327_thumb.jpg

Thanks HP, judging by your recent pics, I think you faired better than you are giving yourself credit for!

Thanks, I am digging this phone. I bought the previous model last year to help me get through trying to ride the Underground Railroad Bike trail. I was going to take a few weeks off, ride as far as I could, hammock tent camping alog the way. Then grab a rental car early enough to meet some of our Bycylers in Michigan to do a ride. Holy cow did that plan go up in smoke. I have put my GF on notice that when I feel well enough I plan on trying that feat again. The added feature of gps means one less gadget to juggle on the trip.