Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone taken up Bycyling?

C - I've studied fueling for endurance events a LOT, and there are different schools of thought, of course. Then you factor in the band, and it gets REALLY interesting! LOL

So far, I have a 30 mile ride on April 5th, a 150+ mile ride May 3rd & 4th, and a 100 mile ride in August. I have an eating plan for the two weeks prior to the May and August events, and I have a plan for the events themselves. I won't use a pre-event diet for the April ride, but will use the same plan always for the event days.

A lot depends on the conditions you will be riding in. Heat is a HUGE factor here, of course. Oregon may have it's own challenges, but you should really have almost ideal conditions most of the year, I think! (Lucky dog!) No matter what, though, fueling is extremely important.

A company I have learned much from is Hammer Nutrition - Fuel Right. Feel Great! - Home. If you get on their mailing list, they will send you all sorts of fantastic information. They really give you a LOT of info, so it can get really confusing if you let it. I would prefer too much than not enough though.

Email me if you have any questions on this and I'd be glad to help if I can! I can give you more details that way, if you like.

TX: Thank you so much for that info!

I too believe that there are different requirements for these rides. I don't really think my surgeon understands the kind of riding we like to do. I think he thinks it's a little ride around the neighborhood. Your body has different demands when you ride these bigger rides and it's important to re-fuel. I just want to make sure I do it right, without adding unnecessary calories/fat.

Good for you that you are so good at the planning! Your rides sound cool!

NEWS ALERT!!!!

HP HAS BROKE IN HER NEW PEDALS AND SHOES BY FALLIN ON HER ASS!!!!!!!

Yes as graceful as I knew it was going to be, I knew I was going down, could not stop, and on my butt I went.....I am glad I was laughing....But I was so excited because I have bruises and BLOOD to show for it!!!! WOHOOOOO!!!! I know sick...but it was good...now I know what it feels like and know not to do that again!!!

Made a huge mistake though! Did not grab my helmet since it was just going to be a short ride.....Never again will I leave the house without it. If I would of not caught myself...I would of smacked my head on the ground.....But I have good landing gear

So, we got in 11.2 miles tonight......learned some tricks on the bike. Gearing is different from my Trek, but I love it. The handlebars are defiantly better than my other bike.....and I believe I will get allot of workouts done on this bike. Still have my eyes on an expensive Road bike for next year.....my piggy bank needs to start getting filled daily.

Anyway. I will post my new picture soon.....I wore a huge t-shirt.....wish I would not of done that....but oh well......I am still prett y self concious in my bike pants....LOL

ZZ....SOOOO SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR DAY.....AT LEAST YOUR BIKE IS GETTING FIXED...AND IT IS NOT COSTING YOU AN ARM AND A LEG.......

What BG said.

I run colder now than I used to when I was heavier, but I'm not always COLD. I think I'm more regular now and before I was always hot.

I too eat more than the typical bandster, but I exercise more than one too. Well all of us here do, that's why we are in the exercise forum. And cycling is a huge calorie burner. But this is where know what you burn per hour (or guessing really well) and what you eat come into play.

You can go super low calorie and not die while exercising, you do have fat stores to live off of, but that seems like misery that's not neccessary to get to your goals. Eat fewer calories than you burn and you will lose.

Last year I went to my doctor in a panic about the enormous amounts of food I was eating. The example I gave was 3 full ounces of grilled chicken, 1/4 cup of rice and three broccoli spears...all of it was able to go in and I WANTED it all. And then a few hours later I was able to eat a banana and 6 ounces of yogurt and OMG, I was going to burst my pouch...he told me to calm the fuck down. Okay, not his words, but he said you're paranoid, you are losing 10# a month and your body needs that nurtrition.

He cautioned me against filling myself with easy fattening foods, but it made sense that I was hungrier and that if I wasn't hurting when I ate I was fine.

C, I hate to say it but you're going to have filter what your doc and his people tell you and apply some group knowledge gathered on sites like LBT.

Here Is A Picture Of Me With My New Bike Tonight.....of Course As You Notice...no Helmet, And No Bike Shirt....but It Was A Glorious Evening...frogs Were Out, Weather Was 60, And It Was Just Wonderful Feeling The Air Hit Your Face......

post-218103-13813136701756_thumb.jpg

ZZ

Car trouble stinks. But I love how your recognize the irony of both modes being out at the same time. Cute.

TX

Cool about fueling. I might need to learn more...Seems like there's always something new to learn. Most times that's exciting. Now with school it's exhausting...but I'm saving those links you posted!

HP

You're a riot! Blood to show for it! Funny, but I can appreciate a nice scrape or something that proves I'm a tough chica who got it doing something athletic. Not like a cut from shaving my legs.

W,

New fill? Awesome.

BG,

Did you ride today? I wanted to but the piles of melting snow don't instill the feeling of riding weather. Also time is tight on Kiddo night.

XO

ooohhh......and BTW...I got a fill last thursday...and I really am happy as I have nice restriction....Cant wait to ride again....woohoooooo

aaaaaaaaaah Shucks!!!! thanks J.......

Daddy - Yeah.... he is gimpy (long story, but basically think of the braces that Forrest Gump had to wear on his legs - thats what my roomie gots) and he can't drive. :teeth_smile: Lol

BG - TRUE! I can't wait to get the bike back tomorrow, and have a Water bottle on it. Lol. I'm going to have the guy show me EXACTLY how to make the gears work too. Lol. I admit - the bike shop smelled great (newness, rubber... Lol) and there were tons of super hot bikes. It was like going into an expensive cnady store. Damnit!

As for being cold - I find myself cold alot more often now. People at work insist I just need to eat a steak. Lol. WHat is it with people being so mad when you decide to go vegetarian!? BG, do you have backlash from the meat-eaters in your life? Haha. Anyway, yeah, they think I'm anemic now. Whatever. I'm just COLD cause I am missing 92 pounds of FAT insulation that I used to have! :drool:

HP - you look great!! And so does your bike. :drool:

I keep meaning to post pics of my bike, but I only klnow how to do it through photobcket, which STILL isn't uploading my pics for me...

Yeah J, I left the house with 2 modes of transport and came home by foot... my neighbors were confused as hell when I walked up to the apt. Haha.

J: I agree! That's why I'm asking all of you! :drool:

I think I've got a situation like many of LBT'ers with most offices focusing on RNY over LB. I think my doctor is great, but there is a language/culteral barrier that might be causing us a little difficulty in FULL communication. I think he just doesn't understand what I am asking. At some point, he and I will get this sorted out. It sounds like you and your doctor have a good relationship. I'm worried about getting to a point where I would eat a lot too. They scared me to death with the whole stretching out the pouch thing!!!

Well, hopefully I will at least feel 'normal' in the temperature department!

C - my best friend in Houston is going through her lap Band process right now... she just set up her psych and nut appts... still has to do a 3 month diet, etc... anyway... she is having LOTS of trouble with people at her work and so called 'friends' and her mom telling her all about what she 'should' do, etc. I told her that if she had any questions to just ask me (Lol, cause I know it all!) or to come HERE to LBT!!

People have too many opinions, and feel the need to interject them upon you at all times. Even the docs and such. Thank goodness my doc ONLY does lap band!!

HP: You look great! Cool bike too! Your smile says it all!

ZZ: You are too much! Hats off to you! Kudos for all your determination this week! LOL

BG/ZZ: Isn't it strange that ppl have so much energy and free time to worry about what everyone else is doing? I mean, if you don't want to eat meat, so what? That's got to be frustrating!

ZZ: I think that would be a perk to have a doc specialized in LB. My family has been supportive, but one said, "hmmm, we'll have to see how well it works". NICE!