Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone taken up Bycyling?

I am so glad that I'm not the only one who sucks at getting to the post office! Though I did get mine in the mail yesterday...finally...I doubt it will be on time.

Stefanie,

You are the best freaking Secret Santa EVER! It arrived today, and wow is all I've got to say!

Thank you so much.

To brag about the goodies, I got some great smelling candles, lube for the bike, tire wrench things (I know how to use them, but don't know what they are called.) There was hand lotion and lip plumper/gloss (which I love!) and the requested diamonds in a matching earring and necklace set.

Again TX, it was all fantastic. I really appreciate your thoughtfulness.

J - You are VERY WELCOME! So glad you liked your "mixed bag" of goodies! I'm pleasantly surprised that it arrived in time!

Oh, and they are called tire levers...but wrench is a more appropriate term since you use them to WRENCH the effing tire off when you have an effing blowout! LOL

Okay, don't hang me guys, but I feel so good! I just got back from a good hour ride. It is 43 degrees here and feels like 38 according to YAHOO Weather. These cold weather tights REALLY WORK! I wore an Under Armor tehcnical tee and an Under Armor hoodie with Under Armor gloves, and the only parts of me that were cold were my toes and ears. Under Armor is a little pricey, but so worth it for comfort while working out. I guess now I need to get a headband/ear cover to keep my ears warm and some Toesties to put over my bike shoes to keep my toes warm. They hurt they are still so cold! It was a really invigorating ride, though!

Hey TX -

Glad to hear you got out and rode today. I was out as well - it was a little chilly, but glad that the wind died down from yesterday - same temperature, wind was just 20mph slower... I rode for about an hour as well. Sounds good on the cold-weather gear. I need to get tights. I've just been wearing sweats over my regular bike shorts, and while it has kept me warm, it's not as good as tights would be. I have a head cover to go under my helmet, but not a full balaclava. I can't stand wearing it, though. I have a big head and it just doesn't fit right. I need to invest in a balaclava or a thermal cover that goes on the outside of the helmet. I also need toe covers. Of course, our friends from the North are just laughing and shaking their heads at us for calling mid-40s cold, but whatever... At least we get to be out riding almost all year ;)

In case I haven't mentioned it, I love my new bike. At the end of the hour riding today, my legs were tired from my calves all the way to my glutes, but there was no discomfort due to resting all that weight on a few silver-dollar sized bones in my huge ass... I still haven't had to use the granny chain ring, and I've only visited the largest cog once, while riding up the same hills that were barely ridable on the Trek.

Anyway - enough with that. Hope everyone's ready for Christmas and that y'all are having a great weekend!

Bike on-

B

Hello and Merry Christmas Everyone! Thank you for all the Cards I bought cards and have not been able to get them in the Mail I SUCK!!!!

BG, I hope you like your gift it seemed pretty cool to me.

D, I thank you and my feet thank you!!!!! WOW.

I was lurking the other day trying to catch up on what has been going on with this my favorite thread.

I see some damn awesome weight loss tickers! Congrats everyone!

I myself have told my imediate supervisor that I quit at least 5-6 times in the last few weeks. I haven't been too very happy with those people since they told me I have too much vacation time then made me cancel my Freaking Effing Everglades Kayaking trip in order to have me available for some projects that are brewing!

All in all life is good my new GF and I are going strong, my son joined the National Guard, and I have rescheduled my Everglades trip. I have been spending a lot of my spare time job searching.

Also, I would definitely be up for a Texas trip. I have even been considering the upcoming monster 150 mile ride. I will be more available after Christmas I promise. I really miss talking to you guys!

Hope everyone is well and enjoying their weekend!

Love and Hugs, JC

Hello, JC! Merry Christmas to you, too! Sorry about your working woes...I hope you get resolution around that soon. We look forward to having you back on a more regular basis!

Of course, our friends from the North are just laughing and shaking their heads at us for calling mid-40s cold, but whatever... At least we get to be out riding almost all year ;)

Bike on-

B

Yes. I was laughing. Here is what the KC weather is right now -

Currently: 25°F Wind Chill: 15°F

And that isn't too bad. I went to the store and to get gas in my car wearing just a sweatshirt and jeans. Lol. No coat unless its really cold... Of cuorse, that could be why I'm sick now. Sinuses, chest congestion.. ugh

Just got back from 'Christmas' at my dads. All was well. Got to play with my newest lil nephews! One brother and his wife have a 1 1/2 year old and a 4 month old, and my lil sis has a 3 month old. Oh, it was such a joy for this Auntie!! I tried to steal them home with me, but the mommas caught me by the door. Lol.

Merry Christmas all!

GOD, it was so nice to get on here tonight and read a post from JC...

I sure have missed you!!!

I finished my shopping for my kids today, and my best friend in the whole world, bought be a fossil purse I had been wanting...I was sooo super excited...

My daughter and I ended up at Maurices this afternoon, and I bought a pretty outfit for Christmas.....It is so much fun buying clothes that are cool....and that are not looking like an old lady clothes....

Well, I am way jealous of you Texan's getting to ride the bikes....I wanted to go so bad today, but it turned cold and very wintery...

I will go soon, I hope...

Well, have a great evening....

JC - Good to see you back bro! Sorry that the job situation sucks right now - I can relate.... Hopefully, it will get better soon. Also glad to hear that things are going well with the new girlfriend.

Suzzzie - That's about what our temperature was yesterday morning. It warmed up during the day - it's about 30 here now, but no wind. One thing about living in North Texas is that there's nothing between us and Kansas. It will get just as cold here, just not as often, since warm air is constantly coming up from the Gulf of Mexico.

HP - Glad you got your shopping done - I finished mine last night. Also very happy for you for being able to get a pretty outfit off the rack. That has to make you feel very good!

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas Eve!

B

Thank you all for the welcome notes, the Christmas cards and one more thank you for my secret Santa gift! I will post pictures soon. The wrapping was so nice that I took a before and after pic.

My GF and I are prepared for the Couch 2 5K after the First of the year.

I found a spot not two miles from here to do some muddy buddy training as well, which means I will be adding a couple mountain bikes to the stable.

I haven't broken down and purchased a BodyBugg yet, I am not sure if it fits my lifestyle. There are so many new technolgies that are being thrown at me in my work life that I sometimes feel that I am starting from scratch each day.

As for work, well at the end of the day it is just work and I will either fix it or move on end of story.

B, a few thoughts about that extremely freaking cool bike of yours. You may have figured some of these things out but, here are a few of my recumbent tips.

When you are riding at a good pace disconnect one foot and practice pedaling a circle with one foot, alternate until it feels natural.

This will lead to smooth starts as you can attach one foot then use the other foot to roll backwards a bit to "load" pressure on the attached foot giving you a stronger start. Then you can pedal as many revolutions as necessary until you attach the "floating" foot.

When going down steep grades if the bike starts to squirm a bit tap the rear brake and it will straighten out.

Just a few things I have picked up. Your bike may respond differently from mine but I thought I would share.

Happy everyone is safe and having a good time with family and friends.

JC

Yes!

Merry Christmas Eve to all!

I luv y'all!

merrychristmas.png

2u89rev_th.jpg (I love Rudolph!)

JC - Thanks for the bike compliment! I'm always looking for advice. I'm still using the platform pedals right now - wanted to get used to the bike before I put clipless on (I'll do that tomorrow). My starts at first were rather adventurous :rose: What helped me was to get past the idea that I could abandon the start, put my feet down, and try again. As soon as I decided that I had no choice but to put my foot up, start pedaling, and bring the other foot up, they got a lot better. Will be even better when I get the clipless pedals on, since I can pull back with the starter foot to get even more momentum while I'm bringing the other leg up.

I also got it set up on a training stand, so I can practice some single-leg spinning. That will improve my form significantly. I got up to about 35 on a downhill the other day. It got a little squirrelly, but I think that's because I started to tense up - little micro vibrations in my muscles get magnified greatly through the bars. With the "tweener" bars on the bike, I found that I can pedal to a point where I can rest my knee on the inside of the handlebars and use my legs as a big ol' harmonic dampener. Worked like a charm.

As for the bodybugg - I like mine, but I wish I would have saved my money and bought a nice Polar Heart Rate Monitor. They have some that can be worn as a wrist watch for running, walking, other activities, but that also have a handlebar mount and wireless speed and cadence sensors for bikes. Probably would have given me the data that I really need. Just my thought on it all....

Good attitude on the job - that's what I came up with, too. Funny, it seemed to get much better after I quit stressing about it so much.

B