Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone taken up Bycyling?

Well, BG and B...dropping the pounds and moving the ticker...

You are rocking. I'm changing mine too. I'm taking one of the two pounds yesterday gave me.

B, are you using your BodyBugg still? I never quit eventhough I was pissed with it, but I'm really getting vested in it again....tracking what I eat ect.

TX,

I see me getting some speedplays asap when the snow melts.

BG, we are going to have to do some riding in Toledo in the spring. Maybe we can get the kids together in Sandusky at the indoor Water park in January. I'd love to see you guys.

BG, we are going to have to do some riding in Toledo in the spring. Maybe we can get the kids together in Sandusky at the indoor Water park in January. I'd love to see you guys.

I am not sure how money is going to be looking then but it does sound like fun. I wold be good to see you guys again.

J - I am still using the bodybugg. I haven't been that good about logging my food, but I have been wearing it religiously. At the end of the day, I'm not entirely sure it was money well spent. If I eat like I know I should and exercise like I know I should, then the precise, but not necessarily accurate, number of calories I burn in a day shouldn't matter that much. In theory, though, the idea is to check your calorie burn during the day and make sure you do enough exercise to cover your desired deficit. In reality, though, I've just been downloading it at night and thinking "hmm. That's interesting." I need to sit down and develop some daily work to go with the mid-term goals that I posted the other day. Item one would be that I need to log everything that goes into my mouth. Item two would be to download BB data early enough in evening to get useful, and actionable, information out of it.

I went and paid for the bike today - will pick it up tomorrow on the way home. I have a dinner to go to tonight after work & didn't want the hassle of bringing the bike to work, walking it through the building to my office, etc. I was a good boy, the only accessories that I got were a couple of steel bottle cages. Looked at fancy schmancy heart rate monitor, cadence, cyclocomputer. If I hadn't bought the BB, I would have been all over that. I have a GPS for speed & distance, but cadence and heart rate would be very nice to have. Did not get the pedals - my sales lady strongly discouraged that. She said to wait a few weeks at least. Getting started from a stop is a completely different proposition than an upright (Only get 1/4 of a crank instead of about half, you don't stand on the pedal, so initial pedal force is less, and you can't coast for a beat or two to get the other foot positioned properly). Until I can do it reliably, she said it would be bad mojo. When I get clipless pedals, i'll get a training stand, so I can get used to the motions before I have to worry about keeping myself upright.

Anyway, very excited.

Just logged my food in BB - so far today, I have consumed 414 calories. Trying to stay between 1000-1500 depending on exercise.

B

I know what you say about the bodybugg at the end of the day. What good is it then? Well what I did was go, damn, you don't burn anything aside from when you work out. You need to add more incidental steps to your day.

I set up a reminder featcher on it to buzz at 8:30, 9:30, 10:30, 2:30 to tell me to get up and move. So I do and overall I've added more burned calories to my life. Perhaps something to consider. You can look at your slacker pattern and try to change it up...

Also, logging food anywhere, on a napkin or on the computer is key in being mindful. I don't care what anyone says. That is the single most important factor in long term weight loss, IMHO.

So woo hoo to you for setting some new goals. You rock.

J - I've seen that, too. A short stroll around the office brings my burn rate up to 3-4 cal/minute. Even standing in the break room burns more calories than sitting. I have been taking a 30-minute walk every afternoon, but I need to take a few 5-minute strolls throughout the day.

I have also found that writing down what I eat is very effective. I've done the "I can have anything I want, as long as I'm willing to tell anyone what I eat" thing, and it's effective. Tonight, I will be having a frappuccino when I go to a work-related dinner tonight. It's not great, but I know how many calories are in it, and it's a controlled amount versus whatever we might get at a wine bar.

I'm up to 444 calories consumed :)

B

J - You will LOVE the Speedplays! It WAS frustrating getting used to them, though. (I am SO hard on myself...I get furious when I can't do something perfect the first time. Ridiculous, but been that way all my life.) Now I can't imagine going without them.

Have a great Friday to all!

I dunno I personally think exercise is the most important thing in weight loss.

Now in breaking plateaus, writing down what you are eating is definitly top dog.

I guess when I'm approached by people with that OHMYGOD, I've got so much to lose where do I start attitude, I tell them to start by writing down what they eat. No judgements, just know REALLY what you are sticking in your mouth.

The assumption is that once you know, you freak out and take control.

I agree that exercise is king, you can't get fit or lose continuously with out it, but there are people out there with the band or GB who lose like gang busters without exercise.

Wouldn't want to be them, but it happens.

Just thinking out loud.

I think people with a bypass lose without exercise but isn't it pretty rare to drop 100 pounds in 6 months while banded and sitting on your arse?

I agree. I agree.

Talking about exercise, yesterday for my 30 minute run walk, I did one 5 minute chunk and two 6 minute chunks with walking in between. Only 3 weeks ago could I run 3 minutes and I was sucking wind.

Yesterday I told myself to not push it. I could have run longer pieces but I didn't want to hurt my body.

Who the hell knew I had this in me? A year ago I'd not have walked faster if a car was heading toward me.....

That is awesome J!

I did another three miles yesterday with .1 miles walking breaks between each mile. I never in a million years thought I would be running. Much less 9 miles in 3 days!

Hey sweetie - it looks like it's moving in the right direction, so obsess away :)

I had wine last night for the first time since surgery. scale was not my friend this morning ;) That's okay, I'm gonna bike my ass off this weekend before the rain and cold gets here on Monday. At least they took the snow out of the forecast...

About 4 hours 'til I pick it up. Yippee!! Must fight urge to buy more toys while I'm there...

B