Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone taken up Bycyling?

Oh my JC....you really need to get your surgery over with and back out on your bike...LOL

Good night everyone....

HP - My wife offered it up, so I don't think so. I've known Karrie (my friend) for 11 or 12 years, and for some of those years, she was my boss. We've been through a lot over those years, but while we're good friends, there's nothing romantic there - more like brother and sister. It might be different if I was biking alone with a girl I had just met and that my wife didn't know.

G'Night everyone.

B

B

That's cool you have someone to ride with.

HP

Flat is good, but hills are good too. I'm think I've got it in me to be a hill junky. I really do like them. The challenge of um and all, plus (shush to don't tell) I'm particularly strong...that's what all the people tell me and I'm starting to believe them. Like I can't stand having anyone in front of me going up a hill because I tend to go faster then they do and it pisses me off if they are in my way.

Tonight's ride was great except for I had ice-cream at the half way point which tasted good going down, but sat like a rock on the ride back and absolutely gave me too many calories for the day. Though I did do 20 minutes of interval training on the eliptical trainer, and 30 minutes of weight training along with my ride, so I burned some kcals. But damn, damn, damn.

Okay I'm on fire, it's a long ass post.........

If you have a local group to ride with and are thinking about maybe doing it but haven't...DO IT! We go out for beer and burgers (tea for me) afterward and the folks are so great. The median age for my Tuesday ride is probably 50...at least those who go to the restaurant, but they are amazing and really have accepted me into their group. It's a boy/girl mix and there are A and B riders. I'm inching up to being a B rider. But they talk about marathons and scuba diving and other great things they've done. You know "The Secret" says hang with people you want to be like. Or so I'm told, I've not read the cult material, but there's some truth to it.

Okay, done. Good night.

I love my bike.

Juli

J, that is one of the big advantages you guys North of Florida have is hills. I really don't get to train on hills. It will probably show on the campout. Stadiums can only do so much because even though I gain strength it's different than riding endurance.

you know, hills are cahllenging, and getting up the ones that I walked before is HUGE for me. There are few "little" hills in southern Indiana....

I think we are going to ride the route we rode for the bike fest in Aug. this weekend. I want to ride it....it is challenging an a good course.

May even add more onto it for even a better challenge.

I am looking at road bikes..........................can everyone give me there opinions on what to look for in one? I want to stay between 600-1300 price range.....proably wont get it right away(due to the cost) but I wanted to get peoples opinions on there prefrenance.....some are compact some arent...what is the diffrence..how would that affect my riding???

Will they hold my weight???

What about carbon, versus steele??

Ok...thanks!!!

You don't want steel. Aluminum with a carbon fork at least is what you want. Steel it too heavy for a road bike. You don't need a total carbon bike, they are way expensive, but if you can afford it, then go for it. That is just my .02 about the whole thing. Also, ride them before buying them. I tried the womans bike, and the whole shorter geometry didn't work out for me well. I felt like I was cramped up in a small space. I have a mans bike, with a womens seat. Other than that J will tell you lots to look for. She may even tell you different from me. That is just what I was told at the LBS. Befriend the people at the store. It will be come in handy, plus most of them are experts at bikes. Certainly don't let it intimidate you either. I wanted a road bike so badddddddddd, remember, and then when I finally got on one, I was like, holy shit, I don't really think I do want one. They are soooo different to ride and get used to. But, it comes fast and then you are in love, AGAIN!!!

I heart my bike too J!!

HP - Got the bug, huh? My two cents, which are worth about two cents -

Steel/Aluminum v. Carbon - Carbon has two main advantages compared to steel: greater strength per unit of weight of material and flexibility. These do, however, come at a price in both dollars and fragility. While the flex of carbon will help smooth some rides, that flexibility can result in a more fragile frame. A steel diamond frame bike (which is the traditional style bike) can sustain several thousand pounds of force, which means a very heavy biker (400-500 pounds) can ride, hit potholes or other bumps and the frame won't break (wheels, hubs, other components may be another story). A carbon Fiber bike, on the other hand, while stronger per unit of weight of material, can't handle anywhere near that much stress. Even normal weight riders can break a carbon frame bike in the right circumstances. I would be very wary of buying a carbon bike that cost less than 3 or 4 thousand dollars. Any money you would spend on a carbon bike would be better spent getting better components on a steel bike. You might consider a carbon fiber seat post, though. They are supposed to make a big difference in ride smoothness.

Compact Frame v. not compact frame. This really has to do with the proportion of the frame in accounting for leg versus torso length. I wouldn't shop specifically for one versus the other, but choose whichever fits you best. I would, however, make sure to at least look at a women-specific-design bike. It's not the old-school girls bike, but a bike that has geometry more likely to fit a woman (women of a given height typically have longer legs, shorter torso than a man of the same height). Bike manufacturers in the price range you mentioned, such as Trek, Giant, Specialized, Cannondale, and others all have WSD bikes.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on your bike shopping adventures!

B

OMG

I wrote a freaking book on here and my iternet died! It was a response to HP

I have a WSD bike because it fit me well. I'm little, fat, but little and I liked the more narrow handle bars and the proportions of the bike.

You can give her a spin when we meet.

Just ride 4 or 5 different bikes. The dudes at the LBS will be helpful too, they expect you to go off on a bike and be gone for a few...so don't be shy.

Entry level bikes start at $600 and hop about 200 to 400 for the next level up. Don't worry about your weight you're not that heavy for it to be a concern for the bike. Look for dual rims for strength and underfill your tires by 5 pounds, and you should be fine.

Dual rims aren't hard to find.

I have a Giant OCR3, it's the entry level bike. I love it. I've changed out the seat and will upgrade my gears next season and I want to aerobars too, because my hands get tingly. It cost me a hair over $600. I can keep up with the big girls too.

Happy Hunting.

thanks everyone....what s your opinion JC???

Oh hell, I was going to tell you guys something. I am so fucking tight!! I am so tight!! And I mean my band JC!!! I am getting stuck constantly now. Is this what I wanted? I think it is, but now it seems like a freakin' nightmare trying to eat. God, I hate that feeling of dying when you get stuck and your chest hurts sooooooo bad. FUGLY SLUT OF a band I have.

D,

I know of what you speak. I'm finally losening up a tad. Or I'm just eating soft foods...really I'm trying hard not to get into that habit, but I do slather everything with lowfat mayo or ketchup, just to help it slide down.

Oi Vey.

Are you getting hydrated? That's really the most important thing. If not call your doc.

Hey guys, earning my paycheck today. Going live with a new web site, complete with mainframe and sql lookups. I wanted to check in.D, PLEASE do not play around with restriction! If it is too tight let your doc know! I don't want any of you to have to go through what I am going through!I will chime in on bike after work. Very difficult to stay off here with new toy!JC in the trenches for now! Someone must have discovered my vacation request!!!

LOL....JC in the trenches...I heart that.

I am not so tight that I can not eat or drink. I can do both. I ate about 1/2 to 3/4 cup chili for lunch. Well, that was at 11 a.m. it is now almost 1 pm and no sight of hunger for me. I HEART that part of it, I was hungry all the time and all I was thinking about was food. Like before surgery. I can swallow, if I take small small bites and chew chew chew. THAT is what my problem is. I just wanted so badly to have restriction and now that I have it I am being a wimp about it and don't seem to remember small bites. The last time I had to do small bites on anything was a LONG LONG couple of months ago, newly out of surgery. I have to relearn small small bites and chew chew chew.

D,

Me toooooooooo....

Tick tack size bites and to stop between bites to be sure it's all good.

I just had refried Beans with a bunch of salsa...like I said I'm scared I'm falling into the soft food syndrome. But damn, a girl gets hungry and doesn't want to cry in pain just to eat!

I've got class tonight. Oi. I hate it. I do. I'll be happy when I'm finished.....

And D that reminds me. I was thinking about this early this morning and I've been so busy I forgot...I was thinking about your classmates not saying anything to you about your weight loss. I'm not making excuses for their dumbass behavior becuase Geez, but I'm guessing age is a factor. Most of them are young, and I'm sure talking to you about something personal like your body size is rough. Also, they are twigs and that's a factor. And you are wearing scubs right? They don't do much to show the new shapely you...

But really, I wanted to say it's about how you feel about you and how your fella is being responsive. I know, it sucks. It does but it speaks more to their comfort and maturity than it does your success. You know you're one hot chica!

BG-

Where are you?