Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op nutrition

Hey all... Question for people who are further out on their journey (I was sleeved 12/2 so still in liquid phase obviously). Prior to the surgery I had done a or of research into low carb. And it seems like post op low carb is recommended, though not necessarily called that by my surgeon at least. Do you find that you're eating differently than you did before in terms of choices, not just quantity of food? Are you trying to watch carbs? Calories? Both? Also, what are the foods that sleeved people typically can't tolerate post surgery? I had a lap band in 2008 (was removed in Jan '13 after slipping) and I remember I couldn't tolerate salad, shrimp, and some other things I'm sure. How about with the sleeve?

My sample meals for a day come out to about 64 grams Protein, 50 grams carbs, and 800 calories.

I'm nearly 3mths out and was told I could try whatever I can handle. Basically I try to eat healthier. So far my sleeve hasn't rejected any food. I was told not to eat more than 800 cals. so I aim for getting my 60 or gms of Protein in first. I avoid white, processed carbs. and artificial sugars. I used to love salad before but I haven't tried much more than a few lettuce wraps here and there because I'm aiming for my Protein needs first.

I use a spreadsheet to tract the total number of Protein grams and the number of ounces I drink. Protein needs to total between 60 & 80 grams; liquids: >= 64 ounces. I don't bother with tracking anything else because, to me, it would feel too much like dieting which I'm sick and tired of.

I use a spreadsheet to tract the total number of Protein grams and the number of ounces I drink. Protein needs to total between 60 & 80 grams; liquids: >= 64 ounces. I don't bother with tracking anything else because, to me, it would feel too much like dieting which I'm sick and tired of.

I never thought of or used y food diary to diet because I stopped dieting long ago. Never did fad diets ad the like. I use it to track what I was eating. It helped me become more conscious of what I put in my mouth. Most importantly it helped me track and figure out allergy triggers. I most have used stevia for a year before realizing I was allergic to it. It wasn't something showed up on my allergy testing yet when I talked to my allergist he said because the plant is close to ragweed if you have really bad sinuses it's possible for it to trigger a reaction. I also used it to monitor my macros like sugar and sodium content. Too much sodium and even if I was eating a reasonable amount of calories and getting a good balance between veg & protein and I wouldn't lose weight.

I know many people find it a chore, but I've been doing it long enough that it's second nature to me.

Thanks! I'm figuring things will balance out as long as I stick to my fluids and then eating Protein first and what not. Just trying to get myself prepared for what "meals" are going to look like later on. I want to be ok and make good choices. Because I'm sure I could eat a cheesecake over the course of a day if I really wanted. Need to make smart and healthy choices.

Thanks! I'm figuring things will balance out as long as I stick to my fluids and then eating Protein first and what not. Just trying to get myself prepared for what "meals" are going to look like later on. I want to be ok and make good choices. Because I'm sure I could eat a cheesecake over the course of a day if I really wanted. Need to make smart and healthy choices.

I'm just shy of 3 mths and I really don't have a big appetite. I could honestly take one bite and be cool with it. The sleeve holds so little I can't justify wasting space.

Edited by BLERDgirl

I try to eat a Protein and a carb at Breakfast lunch and dinner. Then I have a Protein shake in the afternoon for a snack and at night i have a SF popsickle or two. I get between 80-100 grams of Protein and 50-60 carbs a day.

3-4 oz portions of lean Proteins (generally chicken, egg, tofu, fish) will be your meal goal once you move past liquids. Number of meals will be 3-4 plus two Snacks. Much of what the surgeons/nutritionists do not recommend are foods that have caused problems with people. But it's all about your tolerance. My nutritionist/surgeon advise against pork and beef for 6 months as well as fibrous vegetables like celery, broccoli stalks, etc.

The goal will to eat your Protein first, then if there is room low-starch veggies. I find that moist Proteins (broth or sauce) go down best and you can make hundreds of variations of the easily-tolerated proteins even on the puree/mushee phase.

It's easiest if you know how to cook and use spices/sauces. Almost all pre-packaged foods are garbage. The high-protein/low-carb bars are fine in a pinch, but you're much better off getting Protein from natural sources.

Edited by AlwaysVegas

I'm 11 months out and I simply eat healthy, balanced meals.....Protein, veggies, fruit, Fiber and grains. I do avoid white carbs like bread, Pasta, rice, and alcohol, but have any and all of them on occasion...probably 3-4 times/month (a lot more when on vacation). I don't measure my portions or count calories, carbs or fat. I have a 30-40g Protein smoothie everyday so I don't have to worry about hitting my protein goals and I keep a running tally in my head so I know I'm hitting my Fluid requirements. Been maintaining 10-12 pounds under goal for over 3 months, so gotta say this is the easiest "diet" I've ever been on.

I think when I had the lap band before and was so successful I would do a Protein Shake in the morning and then for lunch something high Protein or at least with added unflavored protein supplement in it and that took care of the majority of the protein needs. I was also able to eat things like beef Jerky (ok not so good in the sodium area, but worked for me) but I'm guessing I won't tolerate that now. Anyone do things like broccoli florets? Cauliflower? Spaghetti squash? I'm so excited to use this tool (the sleeve... Well and this forum too!) to really set myself up for long term success.

I think when I had the lap band before and was so successful I would do a Protein Shake in the morning and then for lunch something high Protein or at least with added unflavored protein supplement in it and that took care of the majority of the protein needs. I was also able to eat things like beef Jerky (ok not so good in the sodium area, but worked for me) but I'm guessing I won't tolerate that now. Anyone do things like broccoli florets? Cauliflower? Spaghetti squash? I'm so excited to use this tool (the sleeve... Well and this forum too!) to really set myself up for long term success.

I eat cauliflower, broccoli and carrots several times a week.....dip them in various cheese spreads or ranch dressing. Beef jerky, turkey jerky, and elk jerky are my staple go-to Snacks along with mixed nuts. And yes to spaghetti squash. None of this in the beginning, but eating in maintenance is a lot different than my first 6-9 months.

That is awesome! I know things will be different for awhile, but I'm glad to know there are so many options later on!

And sorry, but one more question popped into my head! What do you all do about puréed food? Do you eat foods that are naturally that consistency or do you purée things? Example... A coworker knew I had hernia surgery, but not the sleeve. She is so sweet and dropped off homemade vegetable beef Soup. Good lean beef and veggies. Can I purée this to freeze for when I'm in that stage or is that not an acceptable purée?

And sorry, but one more question popped into my head! What do you all do about puréed food? Do you eat foods that are naturally that consistency or do you purée things? Example... A coworker knew I had hernia surgery, but not the sleeve. She is so sweet and dropped off homemade vegetable beef Soup. Good lean beef and veggies. Can I purée this to freeze for when I'm in that stage or is that not an acceptable purée?

I would probably pick out the potatoes but I would definitely puree the soup. I fact I did just that but I had tofu instead of beef. The tofu was soft so I just diced that into smaller pieces.