Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just joined Bariatric pal. I am 43 yrs old and 250 pounds. I am meeting with the surgeon on 12/18 and was told I would then be scheduled for an endoscopy. I am hoping to be approved for the Sleeve around the beginning of next year. I am very scared but I don't admit that to my family or friends bc they are scared for me. I would appreciate any pre-surgery advice. Thanks!

post-242587-14180110823018_thumb.jpg

Hello and welcome. Are you paying for the surgery yourself or by insurance? Each doctor and program is a little different but the typical process is pre-op testing. I had to have a Upper GI (no endoscopy), Pulmonary Function, Chest Xray, sleep Study, a Psychological evaluation and a Vascular Ultrasound due to my high BMI. I also had to attend a nutritionist class and attend at least one support group meeting. I had to attend an informational seminar that reviewed and discussed Bariatric surgery and the various option before I could even get an appointment with the surgeon. I was required to meet with the bariatric team at least 3 times. Each appointment I met with the nurse practitioner, the nutritionist and then the surgeon. My program submitted the request to my insurance company.

Some program or insurance companies require a pre-op diet. Mine didn't. I had an IVC filter put in. Some people take blood thinning injections instead. At my first appointment I was given a handbook that detailed everything I needed to do from start to finish. It's literally a loos leaf binder with the entire process outlined step by step. It even had listings of recommended Protein shakes/drinks/powders, sample menus for every post op stage and listings of recommended Vitamins and supplements for post op. Some doctors only recommend a daily multi-Vitamin. Mine recommends Vitamins & supplements similar to what bypass patients take.

Start to finish I would guess the entire process can be done in 2 or 3 months. I started the end of May and didn't have surgery until September because I took off a few weeks in the summer due to family obligations. If I did have that I likely could have been sleeve late July/ August.

However I had a wonderful surgical experience. No pain and no complications.

Thank you so much for your response. I was in the middle of the 6 month weight loss visits and I found out that if I switched to my company's insurance instead of my husbands'..then it would be paid 100% with a $100 copayment and there isn't a waiting period if I have the surgery with a surgeon associated with the Health System where I work, So, the new insurance starts on 1/1. I've had the psychiatric evaluation, a sleep study, and seen the dietitian at the first surgeon I went to. I have went to a seminar about getting the sleeve surgery with the new surgeon. I have an appt with the surgeon and their dietitian on 12/18. The Program Director told me they would then schedule me for an endoscopy. I might be able to have the surgery by late January or early Feb. I will probably not schedule it until mid- Feb so it will be after my son's birthday. I am excited and very scared. I only know what life is like overweight.

just joined Bariatric pal scared - pre-surgery advice

@@shannonblindsay

welcome welcome welcome :)

always nice to meet and greet another pretty, smiling face into sleeveland :)

normal for you and family to be nervous

you'll see many great questions and responses from other members

also use the search button in the top right hand corner

read a book or two about bariatric surgery if you haven't already

WLS for Dummies

others too

surgeon/nutritionist will give you plenty of "rules" you need to follow pre-op and post op

start practicing Water rules

don't drink for 30 minutes before you eat

NEVER, EVER drink with your meals :angry:

wait 45-60 minutes after you eat before you drink

drink at least 64 oz of Water a day

many more rules to follow

above is a good start

the sleeve is a wonderful "helper" in getting you to loose weight :)

you have to work hard eating correctly, moderation, water rules, et al

sleeve won't magically remove all your excess weight - and keep it off

YOU have to work hard hard hard for the rest of your life to be successful :)

you will get rid of the weight, but then you have to work just as hard to maintain

be good to the sleeve and it will be good to you :)

its a "cake" walk :lol:

you are on your way to a healthier, happier, longer life :)

have fun jumping through all the hoops of insurance ;)

surgery in February would be great :)

good luck :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Thank you for your advice. I'm going to switch from diet Pepsi to Water. I think that will be my first hurdle.