Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm breaking almost all the rules...

Drinking with a straw - I tried for a couple of months to sip my liquids, but it was so hard getting it down. I saw someone post they've been using straw without any problems, so I tried it. Been 2 months now drinking with a straw and no problems with liquids...

gummies - My surgeon said no gummies for Vitamins, etc. Well, I tried crushing, soft chews, powdery chewable. Everyday I dreaded the pill taking times... Finally said I'll try a Gummy and just chew it into bits before swallowing. I like the gummies. I hope I'm not damaging sleeve.

Low Carb - I know the goal is Protein first then if there's room, veggies and then maybe carbs. But I've been following more of a weight watchers recommended diet. I stay between 1000-1200 calories a day. I eat carbs but try to get them in on 100 whole wheat or crackers. Limit sugar (which was a problem for me) I still make it a point to have protein first at every meal. And the powder protein helps. No Hair loss and steady weight loss...and don't feel deprived.

I'm NOT drinking with meals which is a big no-no, but so far I've been okay with my choices.

I'm afraid of the judgmental backlash, but I guess I want opinions on if I'm damaging my sleeve?

My 6 months follow up is February 13th.

Hi! No opinion on the diet. Still working out what I'm going to put in my face!

As for the straws, I understand it's more about comfort. Check with your surgery center, but it's probably not an issue.

The Vitamins might be a problem though. I don't think they'd do any damage if we're allowed to have Jello, but compare the list of included nutrients with the types of Vitamins that were recommended. You'll probably find some pretty big gaps there and might be missing some important stuff. Have you tried kids vitamins (like Flintstones)? They usually taste better and are complete for post-ops (our center says to take 2 instead of 1 if that's what we use).

Anyway, best of luck to you! Looks like you're doing an amazing job so far!

There's no way for any of us to know if your damaging your sleeve. I don't know why you would want to go against your Drs orders BUT I guess maybe you will find out at you Appointment. Just be honest with your DR and tell him/Her what your doing. Maybe they will say it's ok if you are handling it? Who knows. Good luck with that! Oh and PS just because it doesn't "hurt" doesn't mean your not hurting yourself. They have certain restrictions for a reason, not everything is felt. : )

Edited by Elode

You are 5 months post op, I can't fathom how consuming Gummy Vitamins would damage your sleeve.

The real issue is adequate nutrition and fully leveraging the tool (sleeve). I have struggled with pills and so I can't take any of the Vitamins that are "preferred". i was told to do double dose of gummies but you should ask your nutritionalist. I am now doing a liquid Vitamin called Eco Drink i get at costco. My nutritional panels have been off the hook excellent SO FAR (I am 3 years out) but I eat very healthy too.

I think the straw thing is intended to keep people from sucking air in when they drink which could overfill the tummy? Again, does not seem that important the further out you are. I don't generally drink with a straw, but if I happen to have one I don't freak out either - but I am well into maintenance too.

Low carb - well, I was pretty moderate carb to lose the first 120 or so pounds. To get that last 40 or so off I had to go very low carb. I say do what is working as long as you are eating healthy.

My general advice though is if you are not getting the results you want - to go back and really look at if you are fully leveraging the tool you have chosen and "following the rules". what none of us want is disappointing results or regain - and right now, this first year is the time to establish great habits.

I really benefited from an excellent NUT who helped me make the "rules" my own and work them into my life while still being successful.

You're fine...I do almost all of that and I'm 14 months post-op, no complications, and my sleeve still works perfectly.

They tell you not to drink with a straw because it can cause gas pain. Drinking with a straw was the only way I could get enough fluids, and now I always drink with a straw. If it doesn't hurt, go for it.

They tell you not to take the Gummy Vitamins because they don't absorb as well so youre getting less Vitamins than you would be if you took the same amount in pill form. Pill vitamins make my sleeve nauseous, so I take gummy vitamins instead. All of my blood count numbers are right where they're supposed to be and half the time I forget to take vitamins at all.

I also eat more of a Weight Watchers style diet which means I don't always prioritize Protein. If you're meeting all of your nutrition goals and staying in your calorie budget, it doesn't matter what kind of diet you're on. In fact, I recently had a week of vacation where I mostly ate out the entire time, which involved all kinds of things you shouldn't eat. I had a few bites of everything, tracked my calories, and actually lost a pound that week. The sleeve is supposed to allow us to lead a normal life and that involves eating things we actually like in proportions that a healthy weight person eats- not forcefeeding ourselves chicken and veggies the rest of our life.

Lastly, I drink with every meal because I don't like having a dry mouth. The reason you're not supposed to do this is because it washes your food through your stomach faster, reduces restriction, and then you eat more. The last part "and then you eat more" is the issue, not the drinking while you eat part. If you're cognizant of what you put in your mouth and you do not eat more than you would if you had not been drinking with your meals, this is yet another thing that won't hurt you or your sleeve.

The rules put in place are designed to make the sleeve dummy-proof. If they work for you, use them, if they don't and your version allows you to be healthy and meet your goals, do your own thing. Nothing mentioned in your post is going to hurt you or your sleeve. Good luck!

@@AvaFern, well said, and agree'd and I do it all as well.

A word on the straw thing - in my pre-surgery class I asked about this specifically, because I have sensitive teeth and need to use a straw to avoid pain from cold drinks. I was told that if I needed to use the straw, it was okay, just make sure that the straw is completely submerged in the liquid. The noise when you try to drink through a straw in a mostly-empty cup is you sucking in air, so that's a no-no. I've been using straws in accordance with these instructions since like two weeks after surgery and been fine.

Hope this is helpful.