Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shoulder pain ! HELP !!

Hi Everyone , I was banded on the 15th May & have had bad shoulder pain ever since. I find it very hard to get any sleep. And i'm due to go back to work tomorrow. Is there any meds that I can take that will help with this pain. From ready all the posts I understand that it's caused by gas... will some meds kill this pain ???

Any help will be appreciated !!!

Thanks

Mark

Brisbane - Australia

Well, I don't know what meds they have in Australia, but here in the states Gas-X is highly recommended....it's main ingredient is simethicone, so look for that. you want to get that gas moving, so move as much as you can, when you can. I remember standing at the kitchen sink doing dishes and just kind of marching in place to keep things moving. Also, I read if you lay on your stomach (in bed) and put a pillow under your hips so that your bottom is higher in the air than your shoulders that will help move the gas up and out. Makes sense.

Try that. I hope it helps. I know that shoulder pain can be far worse than the surgery pain....it can get quite intense. Good luck. You'll be fine in just a few short days.

thanks Terry... I'll go to the chemist as soon as they open

Cheers... here's hoping tonight I get some decent sleep.

X

Mark

Brisbane - Australia

just got some "de-gas" and it's starting to work.... I hope it enables me to sleep tonight !

I'm off now for a drive with the neighbour.. and I'll make sure i do some walking while out !

Cheers everyone & best wishes - this site is great !

At the clinic where I got my band almost everyone that works there has had the band. The girl I talked to for my pre-op gave me some helpful hints (she's had the band for 2 years). She told me that the shoulder pain is actually refered pain from your diaphram and suggested putting a heating pad on it. I actually found that if I put the heating pad on my stomach it seemed to help more than on the shoulder.

Good Morning All! I found the shoulder pain worse than the actual banding. Gas-X worked the best. It comes in strips and you just put a couple on your tongue to dissolve and pain is releaved! Hope this helps

i had shoulder pain due from a nerve in the diaphram being touched or irriated from the band and the heating pad was my best friend!!! i couldn't wait to get home from work and get the heating pad on my stomach and it was in july in texas and i was sitting in the house the heating pad on high and it felt sooo goood!!

I got the band in Dec. and I still have shoulder pain. I was told that it's from the diaphram, and that it may never go away. It comes and goes. It's was definitely worse right after a fill. It's worse in the morning, and comes and goes through out the rest of the day. It sucks.

Walk it off. If you have to take a walk in the morning and in the evening. This solved the problem for me and after two days of the problem, it went away. Aurora

Hey there Mark, Congrats on getting banded. I was banded in Tassie in Feb 07 and the shoulder pain was absolutely excruitiating, like PaulaD my shoulder pain was worse than the banding pain. Mine lasted quite a long time, 4 -5 weeks i think but it did get better. Walking, heat packs and plenty of panadeine helped me get through it.

Good Luck anyway!!

hey mark i have had my band on for 6 years (by Dr layani) and the pain in the shoulder is what they call refeered pain due to the band and yes de-gas works and heat packs are great you will also find it can happen after you have your band ajusted which for me is the worst part im due for that to be done on wednesday here in tas and i have my de-gas on the ready and my wheat pack:eek:

Hi... I have a follow up question. I have this pain too... it's also in my abdomen. Are we allowed to take Gas-X so soon after surgery? Also, how soon can you walk? (I'm a week out) Thanks!!!!!

annielkd, absolutely! Run, not walk, to your nearest drug store and buy some gas-x strips! Just put on your tongue and works great!