Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying to wrap my head around VSG

Hey guys and Gals, after about a year of thinking about doing WSG I have decided to look real hard at the VSG. Originally I was going to do the Lap Band but after a bit of research I think the VSG would be better for me. I will be 31 on sunday, my stats are 5'8, 310 Male . In the past I have done a million different diets with success in the short term but ended up gaining it all back plus some. My most recent success and failure was doing HCG for a year with a 500 cal a day diet. Lost 70lbs then gained 80 back the next year.

I guess the main thing I am so scared of after having so many failures is failing… and being out of pocket it costing me 20k… I know that I am my own worst enemy and I'm just so worried I will not be able to do it. I am soooo ready for permanent change and I am extremely active. Hiking, Biking, Skiing, Boating, I love being outdoors but right now my body is holding me back and it kills me and effects my mood towards everyone. I hate that… I am a very happy person by nature and right now I'm just plain unhappy. The weight is also effecting my T - Levels which makes me tired and irritable

I have had a consult with Dr. Byrne at MUSC and am getting bloodwork done tomorrow to submit to the nutrionalist. I am a huge fan of MUSC and think that is where I will end of doing the surgery if I decide to go through with it.

I guess I'm just looking for some feedback on how y'all finally decided that enough was enough and then how you managed that decision internally.

Thanks a Million!

I was in my early 60s and was diagnosed with diabetes. I found out about the sleeve and did research. I found out that there was a scientific study that said that one is more likely to get rid of diabetes for good if you haven't had it for more than 4 years. I was having trouble keeping my blood sugar under control even with considerable effort and was coming up on having diabetes for 4 years. It was a no brainer for me.

I think the hardest thing to accept/understand is that VSG is a tool and not a guarantee. We still have to maintain a healthy lifestyle with diet and exercise to achieve optimum results.

If you have your expectations set and understand what you have to do pre- and post-surgery...the sleeve will help you achieve incredible results.

I decided once I had high cholesterol, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and was moving toward pre-diabetes that I needed to change my lifestyle or die young.

I began changing my lifestyle even before surgery because I knew I would still have to do my part post surgery.

Best of luck to you!

Edited by AlwaysVegas

I chose the sleeve because it was permanent and I would be forced to change my lifestyle. You still have to watch what and how you eat but for me it has been much easier with the tool of the sleeve. My appetite did come back at a certain point but I'm one of the lucky ones so far. It has not returned with the force it had pre-surgery. Before the sleeve, God help you if you got in my way when I was hungry. If I was tired AND hungry, I might HURT you ;)

I'm so glad I did have the surgery. I'm 49 and was looking at total knee replacement because of osteoarthritis. My back is as crooked as a politician. My ortho doc was VERY hesitant to replace my knees before the age of 55 at my pre-surgery weight. Knee replacements only last about fifteen years maximum. The unspoken words my ortho doctor wouldn't say was I was just too heavy to attempt knee replacement at 49.

Now, I don't even take noninflammatory pills twice daily as I did before surgery. I can get by with Tylenol and a prescription strength pain killer at night--only when I absolutely need it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that this surgery is well worth $20,000. When I was going through the process for insurance approval, my plan B was to self-pay if insurance wouldn't approve the surgery. I would have taken out a loan and made payments if I had to. I paid $600.00 for the 2 night hospital stay and close to $2,000.00 for surgeon's fees. I look at it now as the best investment in myself I have ever made.

I wish you good luck.

Blessings,

Kathleen

Had a stroke. That put things in perspective real fast.

Thank you for all the replies. I guess tomorrow getting blood work done will be my first step in the process. I'll keep yall posted!