Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! :) I made it thru the surgery! Had a rough time coming out of the anesthesia. I never did wake up in the recovery room. I came to finally at about 7:30 last night - surgery was at 9:30 yesterday morning. Hubby and kids were in the room waiting for me to wake up. I awoke to their laughter (which was a wonderful way to wake up), as I was apparently petting the pillow, thinking it was one of my pups! I was in and out for all of last night. Had a problem with my blood pressure bottoming out and they doubled up on the IV fluids. I have gained 9 pounds since yesterday. Today I was discharged home and have been wandering around the house, walking, walking walking. Drinking is no problem. I have had 4 oz of chicken broth, a sugar free popsicle, 1/2 of a cup of sugar free Jello and 1/3 of a Premier Protein shake. Also about 8oz of Water. I think I am doing great. I have some pain at the largest site and I have lots of pain in my shoulder and collar bone, but it is manageable....thank God for good drugs. I took a 7.5 hydrocodone at 4 o'clock and am getting ready to take another. I did not crush it, just took it whole with a few sips of Water. I am amazed at how good I feel. I also had a hernia clipped - that spot is pretty tender too. But all in all, it seems too good to be true and I am waiting for the shoe to drop! I am an optimist by nature and am hoping that works in my favor....but I am a little leery as to how much easier this is than I thought it would be! Wishing you all the same on your journey!

God bless you and I'm glad you're taking to it so well (and thanks for checking in with us!)

Just a couple questions--what was wrong with the anesthesia? Also, why the 6 lb weight gain (maybe IV fluids)?

@@Skywalker, some people just have a harder time waking from anesthesia, I don't know what causes it. As for the weight gain, my blood pressure got so low they had to double up on the IV bags to get more Fluid into me, thus the weight gain. The last two days have been hell for me. I slept an awful lot and have had quite a bit of pain in my guts. Just feeling very out of sorts. The good news is, I lost that pesky 9 pounds plus one so I am moving in the right direction! Looking forward to feeling a little better every day. Just keep walking and sipping....that is what I have been told to do. Wishing you all well!

@@onmywaytoonederland SoOo glad to hear your doing pretty darn good. And your able to consume enough Protein and fluids is just wonderful. I'm so happy for you ???? Kinda scary hearing about how long it took you to wake up. And the whole bp issue. But it still makes me feel a bit more at ease. A lot of people make it seem like the hiatal hernia. Along with the sleeve is more challenging/painful coming out of surgery. What's your thought?

Shari, Today is day 5 and I can tell you that I actually feel like I am gonna make it! The first day home was a piece of cake and I thought I was just going to sail through. Then the **** hit the fan and I don't think I consciously saw daylight for more than a few minutes at a time....and trust me, I just wanted to sleep. I don't believe there is much more pain with the hernia than without. I was/am still a little tender at the middle of my rib cage, but nothing I can't handle. Just make sure to take your meds on time and don't try to be a hero and not take them. Trust the process.....take the meds. I think the hyoscyamine saved my sanity as the spasms got pretty wild for a bit. I have learned that drinking too much makes me sit up straight and wish I had taken one less sip. I am not physically hungry, but head hunger is a whole different animal. I rarely ate pizza before but would kill for a glop of cheese with sauce and a slice of pepperoni right now....so weird.

Good luck to all. It is really not all that bad, but some (like me) may have a couple of days that just need to disappear!