Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hi everyone

I live in the uk and had a SAGB 2 years ago and have had nothing but complications. My pouch is stretched and as we get our health care free here my surgeon has refused to see me. I have now been discharged from his care and that of the dietician. I did not eat for the first 9 months as I was always sick then once I started eating I have never felt any restriction.

I have 6ml in a 10 ml band but x rays show my band is very tight and tht my pouch is very enlarged. I now can eat anything and back to large amounts, I always feel hungery even just after I have eaten. Has anyone come accross this in the US?

I am travelling to Florida in 3 weeks and would like to buy some books on the Lap Band as there are none printed over here.

Can anyone recomend any books and where I can purchase them from?

One book I woulod love to purchase is by Ariel Ortiz called Lap-Bnad For Life but I have searched the web but cannot find a bookstore that sells it.

I would really apreciate any support that the members on this site can give me.

Jane

Hi Jane, I'm sorry you've had trouble and been abandoned by your surgeon.

You might want to go to the complications threads. I know there were several going about stretched pouches. If I remember correctly, the solution is to unfill and go back to liquids and mushies for awhile. Anyway, check it out. Also you can start a new thread on the subject in that section if you want.

I checked out Amazon for Dr Oritz's book and it's available. However, it costs twice as much on Amazon uk. I'm in Canada and sometimes when I want something from the US that I want to carry across the border rather than have it mailed and have to pay duty on it, I'll get it sent to the hotel I'm staying at. You might want to order from the US site a bit before you come over and have it waiting for you. I also saw another book about banding when I looked. You might want to check that out, too.

However, all that being said, I find that LBT is an incredible source of information. We even have a band surgeon, Dr. C, who will answer questions.

Read, explore and ask questions.

All the best to you, I hope you get your band working well.

Jane, I forgot to say that when I searched for the book on Amazon nothing came up when I plugged in his name, bit it did when I put in "Lap-band for Life".

So sorry to hear of your troubles...that must be so frustrating....I hope that you will find some answers to help you, soon...good luck...

Jane, I've been thinking. I know that in Canada it's possible for a physician to discharge someone from care for valid reasons, one of which is non compliance. I don't know if that is the case with you, however, I do know that for whatever the reason you are discharged, the physician has to provide you with the name of another who will look after you.

I've lived in the UK for a couple stretches of time and I'm 99% sure the same applies there as it does here.

So my suggestion is that you contact the College of Physicians and Surgeons and confirm that you were supposed to be referred to someone else on discharge, then ask how you can file a formal complaint. Call the original surgeon and inform him or her of your intentions unless he refer you to another surgeon.

Remember to call the College of Physicians and Surgeons rather than the British Medical Assn. The College is their disciplinary and regulatory body while the BMA is their trade union, looking after their financial interests.

Another suggestion is that you can arrange for a band surgeon in Florida to unfill you while you're over to allow you to heal.

All the best.

The reason that I have been discharged is that my surgeon only provides a two year aftercare package. This applies to all his patients,

The dietician suggested that I write to him, my gp has already done that and I have also had a second opinion and a bypass was recommended but the medical board will not finance it.

No one has suggested an unfill or even removal of the band, I only found out last week that it is my pouch that is stretched they kept telling me that it was my osophogus not my pouch.

I have tried every avenue now and have hit a brick wall, if I had money to pay for it then I could have a revision to a bypass but with our free healthcare they will not pay for it,

Becasue I can not get my bmi down to 25 I cannot have the necessary plastic surgery and other health surgeries because they say my bmi is to high it is 36 at the moment.

Jane

It's catch 22! I feel for you. How about getting referred from scratch? My surgeon said that I will be in his care until the band is removed so I am surprised that they discharged you completely with the band in! I fear that my pouch has stretched too and will discuss it with my surgeon in July. I will let you know the outcome!

Good luck!

I know what you mean. I had to change docs but I am so happy and satisfied now. I am in Kansas and Dr. Lopez is great. I had felt abanded. Why don't you visit a doctor while in Florida? If you re having a "problem" while there and you think it's an emergency the insurance should pay the visit. Most doctors charge a $100.00 if cash and it would be worth resolution and success. Good Luck. Florida had alot of band doctors.