Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another Newbie!! from Austin Texas

Hello all,

I'm starting my count down to my May 30th surgery date to be banded. This sight has been VERY helpful.

The biggest thing I've noticed is how differently each Doctor approaches the pre-op and post-op processes.

The Doctor I have chosen (Dr. Mario Longoria, Southwest Bariatrics, Austin, TX), has put me on the following pre-op:

30 grams of Carbs

At least 70 grams of Protien

Fat in Moderation

Post-op:

1st Week - Clear liquids

2nd Week - liquids

3rd Week - Soft Foods

4th Week - Additional foods

Dietician suggested No carbonated drinks, tough meat, shrimp (due to cartlidge like texture), fruits and vegies with skin.

In perusing the Board, I have seen postings of many eating just about anything and at anytime - pre-op and 1 week post-op.

I guess the main lesson here is to listen to your doctor and listen to your own body. (since each of us are so wonderfully different).

12 more days to gooooo!!!

post-219500-13813135010624_thumb.jpg

Hi Direct Hit. I am going to a seminar tomorrow given by Southwest Bariatrics. I am so excited to get started. I hope your surgery goes well.

Congratulations on your surgery date...yes, you are do right...every doctor is different....I think you are wise to check and see what he tells you to do....follow the instructions to the letter....you will do just fine...welcome to LBT...this is a great group....everyone is so supportive and gives the best advice to those banded and those that are planning to be banded....

Thanks for all of the support!

As the days click by and it closers -- the more excited I am (and nervous!).

As for the pre-op -- I'm starving, and graving everything except protien ... I keep messaging to myself -- mind over food!

Thanks again!

Hey there!! I just scheduled my surgery today with Dr. Steven Clark with Southwest Bariatrics. I will be having my surgery on the 31st!!! Woo! Hoo!! I am so excited!!

I have been on my pre-op diet since this past Wednesday (16th) and so far, I have lost 12 lbs (I accredit that to cutting out sodas). If you need a snack, grab some peanuts! It will all be worth it in the end!! If you have a sweet tooth, I found something really great at the grocery store yesterday! Breyers ice cream has some Carb Smart chocolate bars!! They are delicious!!!! 9 grams of carbs!!! They taste like chocolate soft serve on a stick!! Yummy!!

Hi michellyoh. Congratulations. I know you are very excited. I just went to the seminar Saturday for Southwest bariatrics. I am hoping they will call me soon to set up an appointment with the surgeon. I picked Dr. Brady. How long did it take you to get an appointment to see a surgeon from the time of the seminar? :)

Thanks,

Tammy

Hi grayneon!! The first appt was 2 1/2 weeks after the seminar (due to his schedule). My first appt with him was on April 16th. It took a couple of weeks to hear back from my insurance company, but once they approved me, I've been on the go since. So it took right at 8 weeks. I went to the seminar on March 27th, and my surgery will be May 31st.

michellyoh

Since I am self-pay I hope I can do it a little sooner. My insurance won't cover it. How did you pick Dr. Clark? And is the pre-op diet hard.

Tammy

When the patient advocate called to schedule the appt, she asked which surgeon I wanted to use, and I told her that I didn't have a preference. I did a lot of research on the organization as a whole and felt confident with any of the doctors available. He is VERY nice!!!

Since you are self-pay, you might be able to get in a little sooner. Just remember that there are still other appointments to go to. You'll have a fitness consult at St. David's. Then you'll have an appointment with Jerry, the nutritionist at Southwest Bariatrics. Then, you'll have to have your blood work done (cbc and cmp) as well as and EKG. Luckily, all of those appointments can be done on the same day. You will also need a mental evaluation (they will help you schedule this if you are not already seeing a therapist). At that point, the hospital will have called you and scheduled you a time to come in for your pre-op. Then you will have one more appt scheduled with yoru surgeon, and at that time you will schedule your surgery. He will go over all of your test results with you at that time and point out any concerns, and answer any questions you might have. There is a bit of a waiting game, even for self pays, but it's all worth it in the end.

I have not had any problems with the pre-op diet. I eat out often with friends, so I make a point to go to the restaurants website beforehand, check out the menu, and know what I'm going to eat before I even get there. This keeps me from looking at the menu while I'm there, and being tempted to order something I shouldn't. It takes me a lot longer to go shopping. I read every label before putting it in my cart! If there are more than 6 grams of carbs per serving, then I don't buy it (unless it's something for my husband). I was in label shock at first! I had no idea how many carbs I was digesting per day! But really, it's not that hard to cut them out. Just keep your eye on the ball!!! Anytime you feel like eating a piece of bread, just say, nah. . not worth it!!

Now, last night, I bought my husband these Reeses on the Go Peanut Butter balls. There were 40 grams of carbs in the entire package. I figured that one would be okay to eat. He gave it to me, and I dropped it! I believe in signs and that was a clear one! I threw it in the trash and didn't even think about it again!!!

Good luck with everything! This board is GREAT!! Full of info, as well as supportive people!! The important thing to do is listen to your doctor, listen to Jerry (the nutrionist), but more importantly, listen to yourself!!

I was very nervous before starting my pre-op diet because I know me!! I'm a cheater!! I can rationalize ANYTHING when it comes to cheating on a diet!! But I realize that those are just the little white lies I tell myself!! Be aware of what you're thinking and doing!! Verbalize it! Like I said, I was very nervous about it, but talking about being nervous, helped me through it!!

Good luck!! And keep us updated on how things progress!!

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it. I am a cheater too but I am determinted to lose weight this time. I hope everything goes well with your surgery. Please keep us posted and I will post when my surgery is scheduled. I can't wait.

Tammy

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it. I am a cheater too but I am determinted to lose weight this time. I hope everything goes well with your surgery. Please keep us posted and I will post when my surgery is scheduled. I can't wait.

Tammy

hi tammy, you are in my neighborhood. i live in cedar creek. i am nervous and would like to have contact with some folks who have the band and tell me your experience.

hope you are doing great- i have not started on the pre op diet but have to get serious starting today! my band is scheduled for 2/25/9. hope to hear from you.

liz jjohnson2317@austin.rr.com