Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is happening?

Red meat was one of the first things I could not tolerate with the band....along with rice, Pasta, anything deep fried, and bread.< /p>

My Surgeon replied that all these are very common...depending on your band's adjustment.

My Wife likes Outback, but being a Bander there is not much of a selection there for me....

Generally chicken at a place like that is very tough, so I never order it when we go out.....

So I usually have Soup and a appetizer...(plus a cocktail or 2, or perhaps a Beer)

There is a "Balance" between the amount of fills, and the types of food, and how we eat.....

BTW, all my Dr.'s wanted me to cut way back on red meat...Cardiologist said only once a week....so after lap band surgery, they were all thrilled when I stopped eating meat all together...

Interesting. My nutritionist said that lean cuts of red meat were fine in moderation. I have eaten mostly turkey and fish, but the filet should be easier to eat than say a sirloin. Plus it's very lean and is a good source of Iron. I was not, however, encouraged to have cocktails being that they can be high in calories, depending on the type. Since beer is full of wheat, I will be avoiding it. It made me bloated before WLS...I can only imagine what it would do to me now. When I'm further along in my weight loss, I'll probably have a glass of red wine.

Interesting. My nutritionist said that lean cuts of red meat were fine in moderation. I have eaten mostly turkey and fish, but the filet should be easier to eat than say a sirloin. Plus it's very lean and is a good source of Iron. I was not, however, encouraged to have cocktails being that they can be high in calories, depending on the type. Since beer is full of wheat, I will be avoiding it. It made me bloated before WLS...I can only imagine what it would do to me now. When I'm further along in my weight loss, I'll probably have a glass of red wine.

You'll find as time goes on, what your bands characteristics are and how you exist with it.

Not many people are identical....

One thing you will notice after you read posts on this forum enough is how vast the differences can be....

There are people who doing just fine and never had a fill...I read a post this morning where the person said their band was filled almost to max, and still nothing.

Some people eat anything they want....some people are very restricted in the types of foods they can eat....

Some carbonated drinks, some not...some crush their meds, some not...drink with meals or not....and on and on it goes.

Everybody's truth is somewhere in the mix...does not make one person right and the other person wrong. So it can be very confusing to take everybody's experiences and make them your own...

Sure I drink beer now and then, but it was only after a few years and up till then my Dr. said absolutely not. (there is a secret in doing it IMO)

Does not mean everyone can,or should, just because I can....there are things other people do I cannot and never will attempt.

In the beginning I was presented with a whole list of "rules"..the do's and don'ts....over time, some of the rules applied less for me, and others became extremely important....

But in the beginning I had no choice but to learn and try to follow everyone.....

Bottom line...are you loosing? Are you making progress? That is why we had WLS in the first place.And that's all that matters.

Edited by B-52

I'm definitely only in the beginning, so yeah I have lots of rules to follow for now. But I'm looking forward to a healthier me so I'm keeping my eye on the prize. Down 15 lbs so I'm off to a good start!

Edited by 1Corinthians6:19

How many ounces are you trying to eat per meal? Maybe talk with your dietician and see if they can help. Sometimes they can give you advice. Are you eating slowly and taking your time with your meal? I've had problems with that in the past eating way too fast and spitting up. I have also tried eating too much at a meal and the wrong foods. I am back to eating 4-6 oz a meal half is Protein and I'll have a Protein Shake in between meals.

After three years if this just started, I'd worry about band slippage. What if you tried a week of back to basics? Only eat the foods that definitely worked for you when you first went on solids. Have they used fluoro to see if anything is amiss? Good luck.

Slider finds like lemon pie pass down with no problem, steak is fibrous and cannot be chewed to a mush. So it doesnt slide down. So you can eat the pie relatively quickly, bite, few chews, swallow and off it goes! But the steak, however well you chew doesnt break down

That doesn't mean you can't eat it, on the contrary, dense Protein is good "band" food. But it means you need to take a tiny bite, chew, swallow, wait before the next bit,

Well chewed food should pass through the band in about a minute. The pie won't take that long. The steak will!

We really do need to try to avoid PBs. They are a major risk factor for us. I bring food back maybe once every two or three months and it is ALWAYS because I was eating too fast.

Edited by KateP