Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need food suggestions for snacks & meals-please

HOWDY from cow TOWN! Houston, TX

I'm 36 yrs old and nearly 6 mos post-op. If anyone has any suggestions for meals and snacks:hungry: bring it on! I'm trying to stay away from the GOOD STUFF (tastey food) but I miss it tons! Not enough to go back & gain.. but any ideas on food and Snacks would be great.. Keep in mind that I don't like FISHY fish-- trying to stick w/ salads w/ chicken-that's hard

I like the carmel popcorn flavored rice cakes, they are great. For Snacks, I tend to eat fruit cups, a small handful of cashews, 100 calories snacks, cheese and crackers or applesauce. As far as meals, I pretty much eat everything I used to, just in smaller portions.

Howdy, back at ya! I'm here in Houston as well. I was banded about 3 months ago.

I to have a hard time w/healty Snacks, But Nuts seem to go down good, and are full of protein! I aslo snack on those Tostito's Light chips w/salsa. for a small meal I some times eat Tomato Soup w/cottage, again lots of Protein. Funny about that one, I never ever liked Tomato Soup before.

Hope that helped you some. I am always looking for new healthy Snacks, but am starting to miss the junk food. BUT IT"S NOT WORTH THRE WEIGHT GAIN!!!!

kEEP UP THE ALL THE GOOD AND HARD WORK!

:funscale:

My all time favourite salad is roughly chopped green and red peppers, cucumber, avocado, onion, and vine ripened tomatoes all thrown in a bowl with chickpeas and Tomato flavoured couscous. And if I have it in the fridge, I throw in some broccioni cheese.

Filling and delish.

Hey fellow Houstonian. I've been doing recipes from low fat or low carb cookbooks. I also keep a bunch of salad in the fridge, some cooked chunks of various meats and fish, and some grilled veges. I mix and match for salads, Soups, lettuce wraps.... It's pretty Spartan, but I don't do well if I let myself snack or have sugar or artificial sweetener...both of which set off cravings for me.. I use Thai seasonings and other spices and herbs to liven things up. I'm fuller when there's spice.

Then when I'm out to eat...and sometimes I'm bored with my own cooking and go out...I order anything that sounds yummy, and just do protion control. It makes for a nice balance for me. Eating out is still a lovely luxury, and eating in is an exercise in healthy eating and discipline.

Since I now eat so much less of it, I go to the deli, and buy good cheese, several different types, as well as sliced deli meat. I roll a slice of meat around a piece of cheese, and snack away---in fact this is often times my lunch. Easy to eat on the go!

I too eat nuts as Snacks, espeically raw almonds---I almost think I am addicted!

I try at all times to have some sort of Soup, or Beans or chili, something like that cooked and in the fridge. I will admit, when I am craving the idea of snacking, or wanting something not good for me. Eating the soup or the Beans I have is not appealling, but when I make myself a small bowl, they do end up tasting good, and in a matter of a few bites, the want or ability to eat is gone again for awhile.....crisis averted!!!

I have come to the conclusion, that is one of the reasons I am overweight. I chose the menu. I chose to cook things that appealed to me that day---and sounded good enough to eat. So I cooked it, and ate it, and usually ate some more! Where as what sounded great to me, might have not hit the spot with DH, so he ate a plate, enough to fill the void and went on. I realized this when he was off on disability following his heart surgery, he would cook. And sometimes the things he wanted made me go eeewwwww. Now it was good food, but he may gave wanted spaghetti that night, but I didn't, so I only ate a single serving and was done. He would always ask me if it was ok!! It was, he is a good cook, but our tastes are on opposing schedules I think! I find myself needing to be in the mood for things like fish or chinese food---and often when he would choose to cook it---was not the time I was in the mood for it, so I did not overindulge....it was an AHA moment for me!!! I think I should have hired a cook, one who could have cared less if I was satisfied with them or not!!!

For the most part now, I eat pretty much as I always did, I proportion not only the overall meal differently now of course, but also the components of the meal. I seldom eat much of any starch side dishes, and eat more meat and other veggies now. For instance if we have steak, baked potatoes, and green beans, I used to would have ate it all, and loaded the potato. Now I will eat mostly steak, and green beans, seldom any potato, and if I do eat it, I am not taking the time to load it up, to swallow 2 bites!!!

Kat

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions...I really appreciate it.. I will put that to use~ :)

Kat, I can totally relate to the cooking whatever I'm in the mood for.. I'm the world's worst at that. I cook what sounds good to me that day. Not what would be the best for me.. I need to work on changing that bad habit.. I never really thought of it until reading your reply was like a finger pointing at me. Have a great day and thanks.