Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pituitary adenoma

Hello,

I am just wondering if anyone who has a pituitary tumor has had the surgery and if so, did it still work? I currently have an adenoma and the hormones are so bad. I think it has been a major cause of my massive weight gain. I'm scheduled for lapband on Monday!!!!!!

Thanks!!!

One of the members (I think she's still a member, anyway) has Cushing's disease and relatively recently had a pituitary tumor removed and then had a bilateral adrenalectomy. She got the band before she was diagnosed. Her lack of weight loss actually led to her diagnosis.

From what I know about this stuff (admittedly, not a lot, but docs originally thought I might have Cushing's), you should probably get the adenoma taken care of first before trying to lose weight. The hormones can play hell with weight loss.

Thank you! I think it's too late to back out now, but hopefully it will help me after I have my tumor removed if it doesn't help me now! Hope I'm not wasting my money!!!

Thank you! I think it's too late to back out now, but hopefully it will help me after I have my tumor removed if it doesn't help me now! Hope I'm not wasting my money!!!
Good luck! The band certainly wouldn't hurt you, I don't think, so go for it.

How does the doctor feel about you taking steroids/cortisol with the band? My relative has that same disease. I've wondered if she could have the surgery because the weight gain has just been debilitating for her!

I'm SO sorry you have to deal with it!! Good luck with the band, you deserve it!

Hello CAWalsh,

I have had 2 pit tumors removed since 2001. I am now taking growth hormone shots which I can stop temporarily until after I get back from lap band surgery on Monday in Mexico. My surgery is monday and I will be coming home on Wednesday. I have low growth hormone which just was discovered after my last tumor surgery in 2005 and then gamma knife radiosurgery later that year. I have been taking the shots since last November. My weight gain has slowly increased after my first surgery, so I have been suffering more with physical pain and other things, so I really needed to do something about my weight even though I have been heavy all my life.

Good luck to you and hope this answers some of your questions. If not, let me know.

Peace,

Judy

Hey Judy,

Good Luck to my band buddy!!! I am getting so excited as I am sure you are!!!! Have a safe trip, See you on the other side of the fence. I will be thinking of you on Monday.

Maureen

Hiya Maureen,

Yes, I am getting excited and having some fear and doubts too. Weird how your mind works. LOL I will surely be thinking about you too my friend and band buddy. :) Hope all goes well and we get through it with flying colors.

I have been thinking alot about how different life is really going to be. I will be off of work all next week so when I go back I should be on thicker liquids like the Protein shakes and cream Soups. Ahhh, that will be nice.

Good luck and take care,

Peace and hugs,

Judy

Judy,

Thank you for your response. I am just so confused about the pituitary thing. When I went off the pill is when they discovered that I had the tumor and I've been on parlodel for about 8 years. I've had a huge weight gain since then and I really think it is due to the hormones. That is why I am a bit worried that this surgery won't work. But, hopefully it will. The doctors don't seem too worried about it, but my endocrinologist asked me last week if I'm contemplating surgery for the tumor. Did it help you at all?

I will be thinking of you on Monday as I go in. Good luck!!!! - also to your band buddy Maureen! Will be nice to go through the "stages" with others!

Christy

Judy,

Thank you for your response. I am just so confused about the pituitary thing. When I went off the pill is when they discovered that I had the tumor and I've been on parlodel for about 8 years. I've had a huge weight gain since then and I really think it is due to the hormones. That is why I am a bit worried that this surgery won't work. But, hopefully it will. The doctors don't seem too worried about it, but my endocrinologist asked me last week if I'm contemplating surgery for the tumor. Did it help you at all?

I will be thinking of you on Monday as I go in. Good luck!!!! - also to your band buddy Maureen! Will be nice to go through the "stages" with others!

Christy

Hi Christy,

I am not familiar with the med you have been taking so long. What exactly is it for? Have youseen a Neurosurgeon about your tumor, and if so, what does he/she say about whether or not surgery would be a definite plan for the future? Have you ever had any surgeries on it yet? Sorry, I don't recall alot of these things from your earlier post.

I was starting the process for lap band surgery two years ago and then all came to a screeching halt because I first found out that my insurance has an exclusion through my employer for any kind of weight loss surgery, and second, my second tumor was found. I decided to get that surgery done and already knew that I would also be having the radiation treatment too later on.

I am not sure if this surgery will help your weight gain, but for the most part, I believe it will because even though you are on meds that probably caused the weight gain by overeating or not processing fat like it should, the band should keep you in control over that.

So, you are having surgery on Monday also? Cool! I will be thinking about you too hun. You take care and don't stress over the other. Concentrate on the surgery and how well it will help you in the long run.

Take care,

Judy

The member on the forum who had the tumor and cushing is Vinesqueen, you should look her up. She has a journal of her struggles and whatnot as well.

Dear Christy,

The surgery sure works.I got one done 3years ago thru endo nasal route.You will not feel sleepy with headaches,blurred vision etc.Do a thorough homework before you fix up your surgeon.

Of course you will be put on replacement therapy of steroids hormones etc.Catch me for more on this

bye

RCShekar Chennai India