Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just a few questions.

Has anyone here had the sleeve surgery and not loss any weight?

I keep reading where people only lose 39 pounds or something like that, the numbers aren't to high. Thats kind of discouraging for me to read!

What keeps them from losing poor diet? Or what?

Then I read where someone lost 140 pounds in 10 months!

What makes them lose so much?

What am I expected to lose at 430 pounds? Cause I would be heartbroken if I would only lose 30 pounds!

Casey!

Have you addressed these concerns and questions with your barbaric surgeon?

There are proabably lots of reasons for the wide variety in weight actually lost. Many folks are not ready to actually do the hard work to shed the big numbers....everyone CAN be successful by following the plan the bariatric team will lay out. One thing to keep in mind is that everyone will lose in different ways and at different speeds because each body's physiology is different. Work the plan and the plan will work!

@@mcplu28 That's a good question but one that I don't think there is a simple answer for, I would think dedication, diet and exercise may be the issue but then again it may not be. I would just say don't worry about how much everyone else is or is not losing because we are all completely different so you can't base your presumed weight loss off anyone else's anyway. Look for result from your surgeons patients and the plan he/she has set for you. If you follow plan your plan and eat the foods you are suppose to eat and get some exercise in you will lose weight but how Much nobody knows.

There are averages and calculators out there you can use. A conservative estimate is 60% of your excess weight. So you figure out what your weight would be when your BMI is in the normal range and then subtract that number from 430. That is your excess weight. Take that number and multiply it by .6 and that's the average weight loss.

i.e. My starting weight was 257 and my ideal weight is 140 so my excess weight is 117lbs. If I lose 60% of my excess weight, that would be 70lbs which would put me at 187.

Of course my goal is to get lower than 187 and I plan to do the work to make sure I get there.

Definitely understand your fear and I felt that myself. I've been losing slowly but I know if I hadn't had surgery, I would be at or above 257 right now.

My high weight was 235 and my goal is 135. I am three weeks from my one year and have lost 65 pounds. That's my 60% plus five. I have been on a long (three month stall), but I am not stopping with 35 pounds to go. I am doing everything I am supposed to be doing. I am sure what is holding me back is the fact that I have orthopedic issues and nerve damage that make sustained exercise painful and difficult. However, I have my one year visit with my team on December 18, and I am hoping they can give me the boost that I need to lose weight as a 170 pound woman who needs to lose 35 pounds.

My understand of how this works is that the higher you start, the more quickly you could lose a significant amount. For example, I needed to lose 100 pounds to reach goal. Someone who weighs 400 pounds and needs to lose 250 pounds may lose their first 100 pounds right away.

Just consider how your health will be in five years if you don't have the surgery and how your health will be in five years if you do have the surgery. 250 pounds would be like having two ponies and a bale of hay for a belt. Here is a list of what things weigh. I got it from Spark People It is very interesting. I hope this helps to give you a nudge.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=3421351

Well, I actually wrote a blog post about this same exact question. Check it out if you want it's here: "The Real Test"

Hope that helps! I have worked hard and worked 'with' the sleeve to lose 140 pounds and have been maintaining that loss.

These are all great responses. In terms of goal weight, my surgeon doesn't talk about that AT ALL ...at least not yet. My GP would be thrilled if my weight started with a "1". Thus, I made my goal weight 199 for my ticker. When I get there, which I will eventually, I will decide what to do from there. I don't know how tall you are but our starting weights are almost identical. Don't worry so much about your goal weight yet, just set yourself up for success with the proper education about the procedures, a support system at home, etc. Several people on this board have lost over 200 lbs. Some day I hope to be added to that list! You can find all kinds of stats out there, but it all boils down to you as an individual. I wish you much success! I have a long way to go but I feel so much better already...I truly wish that for you!