Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Haven't started surgery process yet. What can I do in the mean time?

I'm going to a seminar next month and then I plan to submit my application and hopefully get started on my journey. I've been reading a ton - books, forums like this, etc. and I feel like I'm fairly well prepared. I know there's even more of that to come. I've started using MyFitnessPal to cut back on calories. I'm hoping to lose some weight but I just want to get used to being more conscious of what I eat.

Does anyone have tips for other things I can be doing now? I can't do much "officially" but I'd love ideas for things I can do to help me be more prepared.

Sounds like you're already doing good things! The more you can lose now, the better off you'll be in the long run! Just make sure you don't cross the line with going too low on your BMI before you meet the surgeon!

@@bobbyswife Thanks! I'd have to lose a LOT of weight to get to that point, so that's not a problem hah!

Start looking up recipes for post surgery. Reinvent the wheel by trying new foods you have never tried before.

Keep on researching and read and look up as much as you can not only about the good things but also the possible bad things that can happen so that you are completely informed before you decide.

Find a support system and use it to the max. Like people who are striving for the same goals.

Start looking at yourself positively by making one kind expression about yourself every day.

Start a journal of your thoughts and fears and share them on here if you wish and some of us can help I am sure of that.

Know that not every day is going to be happy while you are preparing. This is an up and down adventure which is yours....

Don't compare yourself to others now or ever. This is all about you......

I hope the best in your process! :)

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

Great job getting started early! That is definitely one thing I regret about my pre-op experience- I could have done more to get myself healthy.

I would try starting to space out your eating and drinking by 30 minutes. That is a big lifestyle change you will have after surgery. It's best to start now so you can get used to it. I enjoy writing, so if you do as well you can document your thoughts and feelings throughout the whole process. It's awesome to look back on when you've hit other milestones and see how far you've come.

Start trying different Protein shakes. You will be on them before and after surgery so you will want to figure out which one's you like. I'm sure your Dr/nutritionist will have suggestions. I was told everything I eat/drink needs to be under 5 grams of fat and 5 grams of sugar so stick to drinks that fall in that category. Start cutting your food into smaller portions-another big change that is hard to get used to. Try taking your normal bite and cutting it in half.

Buy yourself a cute outfit! If you have your 'dream size' in mind- look for clothing items you think are cute in that size! It keeps you excited for the surgery and for your life to change :)

Hope that helps!!