Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Okay I wanted to post this before everyone goes out and starts making plans for their 4th of July BBQ/Picnics. These are some calorie saving tips for the holiday. Please note that ALL servings are my sized servings so yours may be considerably less depending on your restriction. I attached the recipes to anything that I mention.

1. First and foremost...if you are going somewhere with people who don't eat healthy...TAKE YOUR OWN food.< /p>

2. salad Options

a. Green salad - be careful of the dressings. Try Bolthouse Yougurt dressings (80 calories per serving and you really only need one serving. Or try the spritzers (good if you like sweeter salad dressings). They are found in the Salad Dressing aisle.

b. Potato Salad - Try Fauxtato salad. I just ate some for lunch and it is pretty good. NO, it does not taste exactly like potato salad, but it is still pretty good. The entire bowl has 280 calories.

c. macaroni salad - I can't really think of a way to make Pasta healthy, so this ight be something you want to avoid. If this is a MUST have, make the dressing healthier with FF stuff instead of the full fat stuff.

d. fruit salad is good if it is not made with real whipping cream. Also, be careful of the FF or SF cool whip...yes it is only 20 calores but there are 25 servings in the container so it is actually a pretty high calorie food.

Meat:

a. Hot dogs - Hebrew National makes a 97%FF hot dog that is pretty dang good and only 40 calories per dog.

b. Hamburgers -Go with the leanest you can find. If you have a store where you can buy it out of the butcher's case that is going to be your cheapest option. If you are just buying it for you, then you can specify the amount of hamburger that you want. I just got 10 pounds of 7% hamburger for 2.99$ at Albertsons so it is on sale. We have a local store that sells 4% fat ground beef. Yes...it is more expensive but if you don't have to buy much of it, then it is worth it.

c. Steak - Obviously find the one that is least fatty and trim off all fat that you can find.

d. chicken - This isn't a calorie suggestion but a cooking suggestion. Pound the chicken breast flat and cook SLOWLY. This will keep it more tender and by pounding it flat you don't have to cook it as long and therefore it won't dry out as much.

Side Items -

a. Buns - If you need to eat your burger on a bun, Oroweat has a new bun out that is 100 calories. It is pretty thin and they are pretty good. Don't fall for the WHOLE WHEAT, EXTRA Fiber, WHOLE GRAIN trap...check the calories. Another good bun to use is the Double Fiber English muffins (only 110 calores compared to 160 calories for buns). These extra fiber ones did have the least calories.

b. chips - If you need something crunchy, you have 2 really good options. Quaker rice crisps are only 70 calories per serving and are really good and come in a variety of flavors. Or soy crisps are 110 calories (but the serving size is twice that of the quaker cakes so they are pretty much equal). These again come in different flavors. The soy crisps are harder to find but check the health food section of your grocery store.

c. cheese - Use the 2% cheese if you can't bear to use the FF. However, I can't tell the difference so I save the extra 30 calories.

Fruits and veggies -

a. Veggies are good...DIP is bad. Ranch dressing averages about 150 per 2 TBSP and I read an article that when you dip your veggies in it you consume that serving size in about 6 dips.

b. Melon is your best bet! Though be careful because I have gotten stuck several times. Watermelon is the best, but cantaloup and honeydew aren't much worse. It is about 100 calories per pound (and yes...I eat watermelon by the pound...but I can eat WAY more than the typical bandster).

c. Strawberries are VERY good. I think 1 pound of strawberries is 140 calories.

Dessert -

a. A GREAT dessert is to take mixed berries (1 cup my serving size) and mix them with Dannon Fit and Lite yogurt. You dont need the entire small container, but you could use it if you would like.

b. If you NEED cake, then try the SF Angel Food cake and put your berries over it.

Drinks:

a. There is nothing I can do about the calories in alcoholic beverages. I just am thankful that I don't drink!!

b. The obvious is crystal light.

c. Tea - Use Splenda or Truvia or other sweetner to sweeten.

Alright I think that is about it. I know that most of you already know this, but we have a LOT of lurkers and some new folks so I thought this could be helpful for them and a good reminder for us!

Fauxtato Salad.doc

Long time no see

Man I had some catching up to do.

Candice-love the pics, looks like you're having a great time. You and Phyl live the traveling life!

It is hotter than hell here. We are going camping for the 4th of July, but I don't think I need to worry about eating too much. It's too freakin hot to eat. We may actually not go. The park has no pool. They are having a festival there, so all we'll have to do is listen to the bands. The kids don't like going with us anymore, and I can't trust DS home without us. Cause I can't trust him when we are here. Since he's punished, he comes to school with me everyday. I teaching photography in summer camp. We are having fun.

I remember Green's name, I'm gonna go back and look for post.

Candice what beautiful pictures!!! I love the 'shrimp in the belly'. Some day one of my 5 DD will have a shrimp of her own. But I can wait, they are busy finding their careers and getting to know their significant others/husbands. I think it is fabulous the young people today are waiting to start their families.

Finished the pond at work today, it was blistering hot and in the sun. I didn't even want to eat..What did you hear that? I DIDN'T WANT TO EAT. Now that is a new event. Finally about 2 I had my lowfat cottage cheese and berries, with some slivered almonds. It really didn't want to go down. I think I was probably rushing it because I had so much work to do. So I think I earned my salary today, finished the pond and set up 2 more Water features. I moved a ton of rocks. Unfortunately, dropped a 2 person rock on my thumb and swore infront of one of the teenagers who was helping me. The pond has several shelves for water plants, surrounded by rock, and has a rock water fall. The boss seemed please, if she wasn't I would have told her to move the rock herself. My boss has suggested that I open a quilt/nursery. Quilt during the winter and plants during the spring and summer. It's a thought.

I am BBQ some ginger pork loin chops later. maybe a little mashed potatoes and watermelon.

check in later.

Hey, I have not been here for a while, but I remember you from before. So uplifting you are. I am not losing like I would like, but it sure looks like you have been doing just great! Wonderful! I am going for my yearly physical soon and am going to talk with my doc about my metabolic syndrome I have going to see if there is anything he can help me with. But I am keeping up with my exercise and do eat well. So things will give sooner or later. I am happy that, as before, I have not just begun gaining all over the place...

post-223248-13813138499518_thumb.png

Morning ladies...

Note the new ticker....I broke the 50 mark!!!! This last 5 pounds has been the hardest so far, but I made it. Down to 203!!!!!! So ladies, I have lost 4.5 pounds for the new challenge... Now in regards to the challenge...I know that I have an advantage (if you can call it that) because I have so much more weight to lose. I have no problem making my weight loss more to qualify as the winner. BECAUSE..as I said to Linda when she threw down the weight loss gauntlet...I WILL be enjoying my strawberry margaritta while you all call me from Canada to listen me slurp away.

PCGirl, I am a newbie here, I have only been banded since March 31. So I was thinking since our weights are similar, maybe we need some private challenges? You said that you are not losing like you would like, so a couple of questions... based upon what I have learned from these lovely ladies:

Are you exercising?

Are you tracking your daily foods?

Do you need a fill?

Are you too full?

Are you eating solid Protein at each meal?

Protein first?

PCGIRL...I know that was more than a couple of questions, but these are the self-checks that I have learned from these incredible ladies. Also, being honest with yourself. I have a tendency to eat 'slider' foods because I am a little tight and haven't had a chance to go back for an unfill (unfill Dr. is several hours away). Also, partially from fear that if I get an unfill I will lose control and eat everything in sight. Another important thing is to keep coming back here, it helps to keep the focus.

Does any one know where Steph is at???? I am going to call her today and find out what is up. She hasn't posted in days, this is NOT like her.

Moving on,

weight.png

This is just a drive by - Hi to let you know I am a live.

Candice love the pic's now who's the hottie in the brown teeshirt :0) !!!! He's sitting across from Peter in one of the pic's :0)

Linda - Hugs on Mom & DH issues - I gotta say (now don't take this the wrong way) I guess I'm lucky that my Mom's dead - I don't have to try and make her happy - I don't have to deal with the crap - and I think she would be a cry baby and want my attention 24/7 - I don't mean that to sound mean - but I am sure glad I don't have these issues - as much as I wish I had a mom - I'm sure glad I don't have the mom issues. DH issues - Well, ya - these are all the reason's I'm single -

wrap the crap up your mom brings - for dh - and then go put them in his garage where he spends all his time working on that new project

Just tell him I don't need these in the house and would you please just support me on this and keep them out here..

Karri - lol Good Mommy :0) - Well I got the good daughter too.. Thanks for the receipts...

Karla - Congrats on 53 lbs... I love the sf Creamers - and truvia is great - it's sweeter than splenda and it's great on your fruit - it crunches like real sugar and doesn't melt like splenda- Karla has learned well (5 stars karla on your questions & suggestions ;0) to pcgirl

Kari - How's today going...

PCGirl - Yep I remember you (well the name ;0) - Sorry for your stuggles

How's your restriction - what are you eating - whats going on in your life..

Denise - Hugs teenagers are a pain in the ASS....

well sorry it's fast post but I gotta get back to work...

Sat gf came over - then yesterday spend the day with kaitlin

I will ck back tonite

Hugs Janet

Week-end eating wasn't the greatest.............I figure, I've maintained. Today, now that's a different story. Bf-poptart

lunch - bowl of french onion Soup (45 cal) W/ 1half hamburger bun (50 cal) and low fat string cheese (80 Cal)

Dinner- 1 lean cousine. (sun dried Tomato pesto with chicken and pasta) ended up eating the chicken out of it (about five bite size pieces) two slices of zuccini, two pieces of corkscrew pasta................and I was stuffed.

Two bottles of Water so far and Yes, Janet, one can of ruby red squirt. Pedaled for 63 minutes and spent the entire afternoon out turning dirt in my perrenial garden. I'm not quite half done. Had to take two tylenol cause I am starting to stiffen up. (knees and back). More water and I'm done for the day. I hope so anyway.

Karri - thanks for the food suggestions. I'm looking forward to trying your fauxtato salad. Sounds delish. Coliflower is one of my favorite veggies. That and sweet corn on the cob.

Karla - WTG on the lost pounds. Doesn't it just feel wonderful?

Gonna go now, See you all tomorrow. Have a good night.

Calories today 840, road my bike for 20 minutes, not long, but I needed to clean the house and do some cooking.

dinner didn't really make me full, I had about 3/4 c chicken salad and watermelon. I have some extra calories for later. figure I will have FF fudge bar and some popcorn later. Gave up the Cafe' vienna, I miss it.

Tried to call Steph, and left a message so I hope to hear from her.

Karri, thanks for the 4th suggestions. I will have to be carefull since I will be at my dad's. We will have to take our own food, mom won't buy anything to eat. Dad pretty much lives off of ice cream and coffee, maybe eggs & bacon.

Hey Gang...

Linda - Hugs get your tt - do what you want !!! You deserve !!!

Karla - Sometime you can eat and not feel full- but for me chick salad isn't dinner food but lunch stuff - today I had pork tender loins and buttternut squash - I was still hungry - last night I almost bp'd on the squash - sometime we are just tighter than others.

Phyl - How are you feeling???

I had gym tonite - i was tired - had a busy day at work - i did break a sweat - but didn't feel like I put 100% into it...

Kari - you crack me up girl !!! What can I say - I think you drink soda - just so you can say nanny nanny to me :0)

Karri - Glad you got moved - I know your old place was the pits..

Well gang - I'm going to go cook - I hope to finsh my book tonite - So will talk to you all tomorrow..

Candice - have a glass of wine for me :0)

Hug Gang Janet

Janet, you are right, i thought the chicken salad would be fine for dinner, yep it didn't fill me. I had a little pork loin left from last night, but after 2 bites, it stuck. Oh well.

Hi gals; Having a relaxing day today. Yesterday, we did too much!!! WEnt and saw the Roman Aquaduct (built 19yrs BC) then on to Nimes to visit the Roman coluseaum.. The history and age of these things boggles my mind. But it was hot yest. 40 degrees Celcius... way to hot for this Coldblooded Canadian!!! I am really glad we didnt' travel here in July or AUg.

We have 4 more days here and then DH and I drive to Paris, and the next day flly home.

I am missingmy Doggies! There are dogs everywhere in France - makes me home sick.

Didn't drink any wine yest.... almost WINED out, can you believe it????

Think I'll go to the beach this aft. and I'm into my second good book of the trip.

Karla, you are doing so well with your WL... kudos to you...

Stephanie? where are you girl? Havn't seen you posting for several days WUWT???? Hope you are o.k.

Karri, thanks so much for putting up all those recipes,they look delish and gave me some good ideas for once I am home and eating properly again.

Janet; Thanks for always being there to motivate us all, this would be a much harder way of life without YOU!!!

Phyl; what have your antics been like this week GF? Have your Antidepressants started kicking in yet?? Zoloft is good, that is what I take too.

Denise; Must be really hot where you are right now, how do you deal with the summers? Or do you get used to the Heat and Humidity??

Hey, who wone the JUNE challenge anyways? The NORTHERNERS or the SouthWESTERS????

Love to all,

C

Meaghan is Blonde, Bryan is next to her in the GREEN shirt, MIRIAM is in a ROSE coloured top(and with a little shrimp in her tummy), JAN is in a Brown Tshirt(He was our adopted Swiss Son from the Exchange program), Peter and I are obvious I think.... Peter is the Greying Bearded one.

One shot is of us all having a FRENCH lunch in the Solarium of Car`s France Beach house..note all the wonderful wine and cheese. Jan was awesome to pick out about 8 kinds of French cheese for us to try!

One shot is of us all having dinner out in a restaurant( a short walk to St. Pierre de Mer), note the black pots in front of us on the tables.... these are MUSSELLS (divine!) The Lady that owned this restaurant was a character.... she told us all the best Wineries to visit.... huuummmmm, having some White right now as I type

:tongue2:

JANET: the Hunk in the Brown Tshirt across from Peter at the Restaurant is JAN, he is my "Swiss Son" from Geneve.

When Megs was in highschool she took part in an Exchange program in France... she lived for 3 months with a French Family (and girl) in Vichy France.... then when it was time for the French Vichy girl to come to our house in Canada.... the Mother got pissed because we wouldn't let the Boyfriend of the girl come too!!!

Can you believe the gall??? A teenage girl wanting to bring along her BF on a School Exchange program?

Well, needless to say the French girl did not come, so we contacted the School exchange people and said that WE still wanted to host a French student.... so we Got JAN, a boy, a much better pick than a girl anyways... teenage girls AUCHK!!!#!#@%#!%@

So JAN became our 'son' for three months and we just loved him like he belonged in our family. Very funny, and pickedup English very quickly... even though he didn't spend much time "IN" class.... he was a pleasure to have around and very thoughtfull. I remember he MADE me a birthday card... so sweet.

He came once to visit us about 9 yrs ago, he wa living in FLA at the time working for Edward Jones.....

Now he is a school teacher in Geneve and loving it. His parents keep bugging us to visit them in Switzerland.. we havn't made it there yet.

But perhaps now with BABY on the way, we may make the trip someday.

p.s. really 12:23p.m. France time

Edited by peaches9

Good morning ladies. up early this morning. Trying to get it together enough to go for a bike ride this morning while it is still cool. Drinking my coffee that isn't Cafe Vienna and then to the bike. It hit 95 yesterday and is expected to hit there again today. I love spring, but it only last a couple of weeks this year. I feel REALLY cheated. I'm not overly fond of winter or summer, too hot & too cold. Fall is depressing, everything is dieing. It is just too full of death. I wonder, is there a place to live that is spring all year round? Right around 77 all the time. Candice, 40 degrees celsius is 104 degrees farenhiet. Damn that's hot. I would be sitting in air conditioning swearing at the weather. Montana gets in the 100's during August and I hate it. Unfortunately my house doesn't have central air, so we sit inside sweating or go outside and sweat. Sweating is my least favorite thing to do, right up there with slogging to work when it is 20 below zero. I really need to find a different place to live. Steph is even hotter than I am because she is on the 'flat land', I am at least in some kind of mountain.

Speaking of Steph, I called yesterday and left her a message. I haven't heard back. I know she needed to go to Bismark to get an unfill, and that her DH was really missing her with all the traveling she has been doing. I think she was heading to Lincoln after Helena, but I didn't think she was planning on staying. Steph, where are you.

I'm headed to a jewelry party tonight at a friends house. We are planning a little post school celebration of drinks on the deck. So I will have to nurse my drink because of the calories. I did find a place that you can order sugar free margarita mix. I'm thinking on ordering some. I'm not a huge drinker, but I would like to know that when I choose an adult beverage I can consume it without ALL the guilt, just some.

food plan for today, Protein smoothie, chicken salad, and haven't thought of dinner.

I'll check in later, have a good one.

Test run to see if my avatar pic shows up.