Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Hey everyone. I'm new to this site. I had my lap band surgery on 7/27/07 and so far I've lost about 25lbs. I'm definitely NOT losing the 1 to 2 lb a week like I should be.

Is anyone else having this trouble? Also, does anyone have any tricks or secrets to this whole thing? Any exercises that seem to help? I'd like to start running like I did in the military (many MANY years ago) but I think I'm too heavy.

Help help help!

Wanted to add my two cents to the Vitamin issue... I've started using Centrum Chewables... might be Centrum Silver Chewables... and find them not bad at all. I use the chewable Calcium from Costco... Viactin or something like that.. so I chew up the two of them at the same time and it's pretty okay. I had some liquid vitamins right after surgery and I somehow managed to gag that down until the bottle was empty! I'm stubborn... paid too much for them to dump the bottle down the drain! Now I"m having trouble getting my Vitamin B Complex down so I guess I'm going to go back to the liquid stuff from Target. Duh!! I was there today and forgot to get another bottle! costco B-Complex goes down okay but then makes me really sick to my stomach.

Karri... you could get some of that unflavored whey Protein and add a tbsp or so to some of the things you can get down. It doesn't have a bad taste either and would give you a little boost in your protein intake.

I don't believe it... after all that wind we had yesterday, sounds like its getting whipped up again out there. Yikes!! Not again!!

So I made stuffing and chicken Soup tonight with some chicken broth. Tomorrow I will eat that for lunch and add some of the Unjury unflavored Protein Powder that I have. Thanks for the suggestion Phyll I didn't even think of that tonight. Now is when I wish I could drink milk. I don't want anything sweet and Water just isn't cutting it for me. I made a smoothie the other day with soy milk, but again that was sweet. Oh well, I will figure something out. Tomorrow I am going to keep accurate accout of everything that I am eating to make sure I am getting the Protein that I need.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas...Mine was good, truthfully, Im just glad its over. The kids were happy with their gifts, and thats all that really mattered to me.

Kathy...so sorry about what you are going thru with your dad. My mom (48 yrs old) was diagnosed with Small Cell Lung Cancer in January 07. It has since then spread to her brain and neck. She is doing okay right now, doing her treatments and such. I lost a son to neuroblastoma cancer back in 99 and thought that would be the worse thing to happen to me, but now with mama sick, I think if something happens to her it could be just as bad. My prayers are with you sweetie...

Jackie...look at you in that (L) Jacket..Looks good girl, way to sport it!!!

Janet....im loving the smileys too...Just adds fun to the page if you ask me...

Holla outs to everyone I didnt mention...

Did you know that ham and macaroni is hard to get thru the band, BUT sugar Cookies just slide on thru???

Yes my dear Distant...doesn't it just suck that the good stuff (chicken and other meat, veggies, and fruit) just doesn't want to go down easy, but throw in some chocolate, cookies, and candy and well, we've got ourselves a winner!:) I, on more than one occassion, have proven that it's sooo possible to cheat the band and be fat if that's what we want!:angry Sadly, this is a reality we're going to have to deal with. I told my DH last night that I was just irritated that I can't eat a few bites of grilled meat, but I can eat sausage easy as pie - which goes down pretty easy too! My grandma sent some Harry and David fruit (by the way, if sending a gift to Alaska...Harry and David fruit is an EXCELLENT way to please someone!) and I can't even eat a couple of bites of an almost too ripe pear! So sad! I actually ended up making a pear coffee cake...now, add some sugar and cake and it goes down ok! AAAHHHHH:eek:!!!

Well, off to the races...not really, it's bed time here in Alaska! It's getting cold outside and my husband thinks he's going moose hunting in a couple of days! Haha!:confused:

OH, by the way...

Merry Christmas to everyone! Sorry I missed you all yesterday. I hope the holiday season is going well for everyone, regardless of what you Celebrate, and that we're all remember the TRUE reason for our celebrations!

I absolutely LOVE tamales! When I lived in New Mexico the housekeeper of my boss would make them for Christmas for us...yum!!! Hard to find a good tamale in Kansas sometimes,quote]

Kim - They aren't hard to make just time consumming.. Can you even buy Masa in Kansas:eek: - I bet you can if you go to a Mexican store. They aren't too tempting for me after a few I am done...

Hey everyone. I'm new to this site. I had my lap band surgery on 7/27/07 and so far I've lost about 25lbs. I'm definitely NOT losing the 1 to 2 lb a week like I should be. Is anyone else having this trouble? Also, does anyone have any tricks or secrets to this whole thing? Any exercises that seem to help? I'd like to start running like I did in the military (many MANY years ago) but I think I'm too heavy. Help help help!

Airportkat - Welcome - We need some additional info before we can help - age - weight - what are you eating - are you exercising at all.

I eat about 1000 - 1200 calories a day - I keep a food & exercise diary and walk on the treadmill minimum 3 miles 4 to 5 times a week. I am losing fairly well for an older more mature woman of a certain age...

Wanted to add my two cents to the Vitamin issue... I've started using Centrum Chewables... might be Centrum Silver Chewables... and find them not bad at all. I use the chewable Calcium from Costco... Viactin or something like that.. so I chew up the two of them at the same time and it's pretty okay. I had some liquid vitamins right after surgery and I somehow managed to gag that down until the bottle was empty! I'm stubborn... paid too much for them to dump the bottle down the drain! Now I"m having trouble getting my Vitamin B Complex down so I guess I'm going to go back to the liquid stuff from Target. Duh!! I was there today and forgot to get another bottle! costco B-Complex goes down okay but then makes me really sick to my stomach.

I don't believe it... after all that wind we had yesterday, sounds like its getting whipped up again out there. Yikes!! Not again!!

Phyl - I have some orange centruims but I just don't care for them and I have calicum too - just bought some vitaband from dr b - lemon flavor - and they are ok - I would rather just take a pill - I take my Vitamins at night before bed - cuz they will upset my tummy sometimes too.

We haven't had much wind down valley - it's a little breezes but nothing major..

Yes my dear Distant...doesn't it just suck that the good stuff (chicken and other meat, veggies, and fruit) just doesn't want to go down easy, but throw in some chocolate, Cookies, and candy and well, we've got ourselves a winner!:) I, on more than one occassion, have proven that it's sooo possible to cheat the band and be fat if that's what we want!:angry Sadly, this is a reality we're going to have to deal with. I told my DH last night that I was just irritated that I can't eat a few bites of grilled meat, but I can eat sausage easy as pie - which goes down pretty easy too! My grandma sent some Harry and David fruit (by the way, if sending a gift to Alaska...Harry and David fruit is an EXCELLENT way to please someone!) and I can't even eat a couple of bites of an almost too ripe pear! So sad! I actually ended up making a pear coffee cake...now, add some sugar and cake and it goes down ok! AAAHHHHH:eek:!!!

Well, off to the races...not really, it's bed time here in Alaska! It's getting cold outside and my husband thinks he's going moose hunting in a couple of days! Haha!:cool:

Marcy - Use splenda instead of sugar - it taste the same and will help lessen the calories a tad...

OK gang - drum roll... I didn't gain any weight after eating my Cookies or tamales - I lost 1/2 of a pound... Exercise does pay off and so does moderation...:P

The loss could be more as I am still real puffy - and I haven't had my aunt flo visit in about a year - but for the last couple of days have been spotting - menopause - just when you think it's done for good - here it comes again... Plus I am coming down with a cold - My head is killing me this morning

I was so happy this morning with my 1/2 lbs - even with eating more calories than I ususally do....

I had some cookies that I was going to give a gf w/tamales but they weren't home on Christmas Eve - so last night looking at them - and very tempted to get back in to that whole sugar thing - I just threw them away :clap2:

Well, just cking in and tooting my horn cuz I was really afraid of what the scale was going to say this morning - I figured I was going to have to report a gain :( - but thankfully - I did ok...:eek:

Karri... you could get some of that unflavored whey Protein and add a tbsp or so to some of the things you can get down. It doesn't have a bad taste either and would give you a little boost in your Protein intake.

Walgreens has an awesome chewable Vitamin A to Z and it is very reasonably priced. it tastes like cherry.

Ok for those who are cold and want a chocolate fix. This is the best cocoa recipe and it is equivalent to drinking at least one of your dairy products during the day. The whole glass has 150 calories and 7 1/4 grams of protein.

Ingredients

1lb. box of Nestle quick

box of dry evaporated milk (8 qt box)

8 oz of cremora Creamer

2 cups of powdered sugar or if you like splenda (this makes 41 servings so it is spread out)

stir all together in large mixing bowl.

put one half cup into warm Water, stir and drink.

Store in air tight cannister.

Makes great gifts for coworkers etc. I hope you all enjoy it.

I had a good holiday I didn't gain and ate very well. I had surgery last week so my weight is still up from that. I still have a lot of swelling in my leg. The next day after surgery I was up 6.5 pouds. I am watching what I eat since I can't work the lower part. I am now concentrating on my arms and upper body. Maybe after it is healed I can get back to my step. I miss my daily walks on the treadmill.

Yesterday my husband and I saw the sequel to the National Treasure movie. It was good but not as good as the first one. I ate some popcorn (not too much) but this was the first time since my surgery I even tried to eat some.

My husband and I and another couple are going out Saturday for our anniversary (23 years). Tonight we are going to the melting pot. I will have a salad, a little bit of the cheese fondue some of the veggies, meat and a little chocolate.

I wil be glad when this time is over too expensive on the budget as well as the calories.

Next Wednesday my drive to and from work will increase considerably. It will take a while to find a route that will work. I start at 7 a.m and in October and November one of the alternate ways would have 20 to 30 cars lined up to get off the exit ramp at 6:40 a.m. I can't imagine what this will be when this one of the only ways to get around. They are closing down a major highway all lanes both ways for 5 miles. This will displace several hundred thousand cars each day. This is supposed to be for a year. After they get this part done then they close the same highway at the other end of town for a year to complete it. This will be another year. So in 2010 it should be completed. I hope my patience lasts that long. I hate sitting in traffic.

HELLO EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!! My gosh I have been MIA for so long! I posted pics the other night and was trying to hurry and do those as we were on our way out. I figured I should post mine since I had asked everyone to post theirs for Chirstmas. LOL

I hope everyones Christmas was great. We got a WII for Christmas and I have to tell you I LOVE IT JUST AS MUCH AS THE KIDS!!! LOL I got them Guitar Hero for it and I just love it!!! The past 3 days we have played and played. Something that we all are enjoying and we are doing it together.

scale is again not moving. I have to say though I believe it is mostly because I haven't been exercising like I need to be. I have been sick with cold and then all the holiday hoopla. I will start again. I am redetermined now. The holidays are about over and then it is back to real life again. I don't think I did terribly bad with eating. My MIL sent some fudge home right before Christmas knowing that I am the only one who really LOVES fudge. My son and husband ate 2 pieces and I had about 4 and then I told them I don't want this in the house so if you guys don't want it I want to throw it. They told me to throw it so I did. I had told my MIL I didn't want it in the house and she told me 'no you have to let yourself have some of this. It won't kill you." You have to know her though. I really felt like she was trying to sabatoge me. She has been pushing all sorts of no no's at me. I have done fine and stood my ground. So long story short fudge went to the garbage and I have no more temptations in my house. My restriction is pretty good right now. THANK GOD!!! I can not imagine going through this time a year without good restriction.

You all are doing so great. Unruley I love my bodybugg. I feel lost when I take it off for my shower. I really like being able to see how much I have burnt in calories each day.

Well I better get. Oh yeah!! Thank you all for the compliments on my pictures. You all really build self esteem. Thank you so much!!!

Jackie - we got a Wii too! Haha! I'm glad it keeps the kids active...they just CANNOT sit down while playing. Even my husband can't just let them play, he's got to be in on the action. Unfortunately, I have issues with video games and until I feel comfortable not getting virtigo...I'll just be reading the posts here while everyone else plays.

I'm debating whether or not I need a fill...need help deciding.

-I know I can eat more than 1/4 cup of food...sometimes up to 1 cup (depending on food - Cereal I can eat too much of so I just stopped making it an option and have a shake instead)

-my weight loss has somewhat stalled...nothing for a couple of weeks, then down 2 lbs then I "hover" again.

-I admit that I'm not working out a lot, but I'm just trying to survive winter

-food gets stuck often, but after the initial "stick" I can continue to eat more...hmmm

So...what do you think?

Weather is *nice* today. We had some more crazy wind last night, but today it's 15 degrees and calm. Would like the sun to come out though!

Marcy - My doc suggests that we should be able to eat 1 cup of food normally. 1/4 cup of food is very little. I know, that is what I am eating right now, and I don't like it. I enjoyed eating 1 cup of food, and I lost most of my weight eating just that: 1 cup of food 3 times per day with 1 afternoon snack. Today I fixed 1 whole egg with 1 egg white and 1/4 cup of cheese. I was able to eat 2/3 of it. GRRRRR. 94 calories. I try to get to 1000 and right now that is not happening. So as for your question, in my opinion you seem at a good spot. But that is just me. I don't like being this tight. If there is anything you could do inside for exercise, that might jumpstart the weightloss. If food is already getting stuck, I worry that any more of a fill will cause everything to get stuck, and that is terrible. Again, this is what I am experiencing right now. It seems a little better today, but I still can't eat very much. I am afraid that I will plateau on the weightloss because too few calories is not good for you either.

Well I rambled on forever, maybe someone else can give her more concise advice!

Grrrrr... just hit a wrong key and lost my whole post AGAIN!! So, I'll start over!!

My scale has me at the same weight as the first day of our Christmas challenge, BUT, my official TOPS weigh in yesterday had me up 1.4 lb for the last week. So I upped my ticker for the first time! I WILL be DOWN next Wed! We missed Water aerobics last Friday because of the wind and then Christmas day, so we are short on exercise this past week. We came close to skipping this morning because it was only 45 degrees and very windy AGAIN this morning. But we toughed it out anyway, and it felt good. We made it through the hour and then scampered to the hottest spa... that some of us call the "lobster pot". I simmered in there for almost 45 minutes! My doctor would probably disapprove (BP), but it felt good. Trying to talk DH in to letting me buy a "waterwarmups" top online to help keep me warm on these cold windy mornings! He thinks it's too much money to spend when my weight is going down. I think it'd be worth it to keep me warm even if it only fits for the next three months while we're down here in the desert.

Everyone seems to have weathered Christmas quite well. Not too many temptations around here. We went to potluck brunch at the chapel here Christmas morning... I stuck to the egg casseroles and avoided the coffee cakes, etc. Went out to dinner that night and had turkey dinner. Probably the potatoes, gravy and dressing I ate accounted for my 1.4 lb gain the next morning! I didn't eat the rolls and took two big slices of the turkey home with me.. but I DID enjoy the potatoes, gravy & dressing!! I guess that was my Christmas treat!

Marcy - I too agree 1 cup even 1 1/2 is ok per meal - we do have to eat. For me too it depends on what i am eating on how long i stay full - for lunch had 1 3oz can tuna with 5 corn chips crumbled up and some sweet & hot mustard - 1 pt bar & 1/4 cup green Beans - I am stuffed right now and it should last til tonite. I have a cold and right now i have that want to pick at food mentally Feed a cold - starve a fever..

I need some hot sauce so I can taste it - I will get tight if i eat too fast - last night had 1/2 pudding cup and felt stuck - ate too fast. It really depends on how many calories you are eating daily - as you say pear coffee cake goes down with no problems. Inside videos for exercise or do you own any exercise equipment. I don't think you need a fill - it just might be your food choices and lack of exercise -

Phyl - I had 3/4 mashed potatoes for xmas too - if you ate out you had alot of salt - so give it a day or 2 and the "false fat" should be gone. I would order the top... you gotta stay warm ....

Karri - I ramble the most :biggrin1:

but I DID enjoy the potatoes, gravy & dressing!! I guess that was my Christmas treat!

Funny! I couldn't eat the potatoes. Cold stuffing and chicken went down alright, but no potatoes. I tried a bite last night and the same thing. They get stuck and I feel like I am going to PB.

Here is what I have eaten today so far.

2/3 egg cheese omlette (made from 1 whole egg, 1 egg white, 1/4 cup fat free cheese) ~100 calories/ 9 Protein

1 salmon patty ~ 190 calories/ 19 Protein

1/2 cup cold stuffing (I can't eat it warm!) ~ 150 calories/ 5 protein.

Stuffing was probably not the best choice, but I tried eating some of the chicken, and it wasn't going down. Besides, the stuffing is all gone now.

Now I just need to eat 360 calories (to hit 800) and 30 grams of protein :rolleyes: for dinner. Looks like it is a Protein Shake for me tonight!

Grrrrr... just hit a wrong key and lost my whole post AGAIN!! So, I'll start over!!

Trying to talk DH in to letting me buy a "waterwarmups" top online to help keep me warm on these cold windy mornings! He thinks it's too much money to spend when my weight is going down. I think it'd be worth it to keep me warm even if it only fits for the next three months while we're down here in the desert.

Phyll - I'm assuming you're referring to a wet-suit/neoprene top thingy for swimming (we have those for the kids...even the indoor pools in Alaska are cold!). Here's the thing...you ARE working out, it's not like it would sit in a closet or become some sort of clothing rack (like so many of our treadmills), but you'd actually USE it. So I say, get it and then when it gets too big...take it to a tailor and have them take it in ...should cost less than $20 to do that. I think it would be a worthwile investment! :biggrin1:

So I am thinking that I probably didn't make it to 800 calories today. I was at 440 before dinner. I did just get in a Protein Bar so that brings me to 520 and I had a bit of orange juice at 60. So unless there was 220 calories in 5 bites of refried Beans and 1 small piece of chicken from the mexican restaurant we ate at tonight, I don't think I made it. However I did get to 50 grams of Protein. Alright tomorrow, I am going to eat beans, beans, beans. That should get me some calories AND protein. I got in my exercise again today, but it was lackluster. I just don't have the energy. Maybe tomorrow will be better.