Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Thanks for the tip. I remember Steph suggesting carb and Protein numbers when we first started, but I've forgotten. Yes, perhaps I need to choose differently. I'm a carbo-holic but I've not been paying attention to those numbers, just the calories.

We went out for sushi with friends tonight. And I saved half of my daily calories because I knew I'd be eating rice. I wish I'd read you post before I left, I would've chosen sashimi instead. :cool2:

Oh well, I shall struggle onward....

Today's numbers:

Total calories = 1,089 (net = 934)

Carbs = 167g

Fat = 24g

Protein = 46g

Water = 48oz

I don't think I can get any more Water in tonight. The rice is in my tummy and it might explode if I try. :thumbup:

Thanks again Janet. I'm going to study my numbers more closely and make different choices for eating. :mellow:

Ruby

I started to reply this morning - but never got to finish - been super busy at work... Sorry :)

I am a carb person to... Or well should say use to be... I don't eat them like I use to - I still eat them my rice every night - but that's like 22 grms

Ok did a quick ck on a few things

100c snack pack popcorn 20 grms 7 triscuts 17 grm carbs - 1/2 cup rice 22 grms carbs - 2 slices lite bread 18 grms carbs - 1 cup watermelon 11 carbs - thats 88 carbs and yours are more than that...

I would guess my carb intake most days is 60 - 80 max - its far from being Atkins - i think you get like 23 grms period... Gotta say I have had carb loaded days - but they are few and far between..

So ya - cut your carbs some and increase your protein.... Eat more veggies (non strach ones:tongue:)

It's worth a try :tt2:

Hugs - Janet

Good Morning Gang

I went to bed at 9:30 last night and have been up since 5:15 :eek:

I am going to the gym this morning - haven't been on the treadmill since I sprained my ankle (or possible broken foot) a week ago Wed - Heck I haven't been on the treadmill in a while - just my 2 days of weights for the last couple of weeks - Life has been getting in the way :thumbup:

But today I am going to try it out - foot feels better it's been almost 10 days so we will see.

Karri - how did the fill go?? I hope you didn't drive by yourself - cuz you were up so early - don't want you falling asleep at the wheel..

Phyl - You start your road trip today - Be safe tell DH to drive carefully

Linda - How did the doc thing go??

Candice - What's up you have been quite...

Denise - are you camping ??

Kari - How's the biking

Ruby - Are you watching your carbs..

Well the dryer just stopped gotta get clothes out - (yes I have already done a load of wash)

CBL:biggrin:

Good morning ladies.

My official weight today is 171. So that 1lb I was worried about yesterday did disappear. :cool2: So I'm back to where I was last week, which isn't horrible. :thumbup:

I did a lot of reading last night and again this morning on TheDailyPlate to see if I could find some answers. Most of the advice pointed to the fact that I wasn't eating enough. :biggrin: My fat brain just can't wrap my head around that. But if I look at the numbers, it makes sense. I think. :biggrin:

I also stumbled across something else while I was there. I don't think I've mentioned it here before because I thought it was just normal, but I've noticed since being banded that I get cold very quickly. Not just in the cooler months, but throughout the summer as well. Yes, Texas summer. It's not all the time, it comes and goes. Sometimes I'll be okay for a couple of weeks to a month, then it will come back again. Being outdoors is okay, but the moment I step into an a/c mall or restaurant or something I get really cold and I get goosebumps all over me.

Anyway, the consensus seems to be that it's a sign either of anemia (fixed by taking a Multi-Vitamin to raise Iron levels, etc) or a slow down in metabolism. Well, I take a multi-vitamin daily, so that would suggest that my metabolism is slow.

Exercise increases my metabolism, but if I don't have enough fuel in the furnace to begin with, my body switches to "starvation" mode and holds onto the weight I'm so desperately trying to get rid of. :tt2::eek: So if I exercise, I have to replace the calories I burn in order to keep the totals up in the right range, in order to lose weight. Eat to lose weight. :tt2::mellow::tt2:

*sigh* It just sounds so crazy that I should eat more! There's a pie chart on the site that shows you your percentages in Protein, fat and carbs. My daily carbs are within the right percentages, but my fat is typically too high and Protein too low. The fact that most days I don't get my total calories high enough is an issue. Then take into consideration that I exercise 6 days a week, sometimes twice a day, it further depletes my body of the fuel it needs.

All this thinking and calculating is making my brain explode. I've said it before and I'll say it again - being fat was easy! :biggrin:

Good morning ladies.

My official weight today is 171. So that 1lb I was worried about yesterday did disappear. :cool2: So I'm back to where I was last week, which isn't horrible. :thumbup:

I did a lot of reading last night and again this morning on TheDailyPlate to see if I could find some answers. Most of the advice pointed to the fact that I wasn't eating enough. :biggrin: My fat brain just can't wrap my head around that. But if I look at the numbers, it makes sense. I think. :tt2:

I also stumbled across something else while I was there. I don't think I've mentioned it here before because I thought it was just normal, but I've noticed since being banded that I get cold very quickly. Not just in the cooler months, but throughout the summer as well. Yes, Texas summer. It's not all the time, it comes and goes. Sometimes I'll be okay for a couple of weeks to a month, then it will come back again. Being outdoors is okay, but the moment I step into an a/c mall or restaurant or something I get really cold and I get goosebumps all over me.

Anyway, the consensus seems to be that it's a sign either of anemia (fixed by taking a Multi-Vitamin to raise Iron levels, etc) or a slow down in metabolism. Well, I take a multi-vitamin daily, so that would suggest that my metabolism is slow.

Exercise increases my metabolism, but if I don't have enough fuel in the furnace to begin with, my body switches to "starvation" mode and holds onto the weight I'm so desperately trying to get rid of. :tt2::eek: So if I exercise, I have to replace the calories I burn in order to keep the totals up in the right range, in order to lose weight. Eat to lose weight. :tt2::mellow::biggrin:

*sigh* It just sounds so crazy that I should eat more! There's a pie chart on the site that shows you your percentages in Protein, fat and carbs. My daily carbs are within the right percentages, but my fat is typically too high and Protein too low. The fact that most days I don't get my total calories high enough is an issue. Then take into consideration that I exercise 6 days a week, sometimes twice a day, it further depletes my body of the fuel it needs.

All this thinking and calculating is making my brain explode. I've said it before and I'll say it again - being fat was easy! :biggrin:

Ruby - What you are reading is true - you have to eat.. Net calories for a day 152 - well that's not enough !!! If your carbs in the right % then reduce your fat increase your protein and eat more.

I have a GF who is trying to lose weight - well she is working out 4-5 days a week eating very low cal - but not losing - I keep telling her she needs to eat more.

Also, you may want to cut back on the exercise a bit - 6 days some days 2 x - that's a lot - give your self a schedule - I do weights Mon & Wed - Tue & Sat - treadmill - that's it.. In fact this month I have what like 9 days that I have exercised 6 days weights and only 3 days treadmill and my weight has stayed the same - infact I was 143 this morning and I am eating.

Are you taking in to consideration all the walking you do since you don't drive.. That in it's self is exercise - are you putting that into the calulations - if you aren't then you really do need to up the calories.

I will have to do a dailyplate log - I haven't - when I tracked I did it in a little book - I will have to ck it out.

As to being cold - well the way I look at that one is that we have less insulataion than we did a year ago :tt2: and also you may want to up your vititmans - since you aren't getting alot of calories you may need to take 2..

I think I am hitting true menopause cuz lately I have been getting mini hot flashes - nothing terrible but all of a sudden I get this flash for about 1 minute and then it's gone...

It's true you need the fuel to run your body - this next week up the calories by eating less fat more protein & calcuim rich foods (they help take the fat out of your body) and exercise a tad less - I bet you see a loss at the end of the week... Try it !! It can't hurt.. You gotta play around with things to see how they work for you... That's what I have always done..

Sorry I didn't post last night. I got home handed my car keys to DH and told him to bring up the groceries and I went straight to bed. Yes...I did drive by myself but stopped once on the way up at a rest area to take a nap and stopped at a grocery store on the way home and took another nap. But the fill went well...though I am a little nervous that it is going to be too tight. I had 1.2 ccs in before the slming incident and when she filled me under fluoro watching the flow rate of the barium I was up to 3.6. She asked me how I felt about that and I said..."not so good". So she backed it down to 2.2. That is the level that I was at before I got unfilled in April. We still weren't certain if I was going to be too tight so she called the doc in and we discussed why I had been tight before surgery and now and am loose. He asked about medications or any life changes and I said that right before surgery they put me on anti-anxiety meds. He said that was probably the reason that I am looser. It is well documented that when your body is under stress (physical or emotional) that your band seems to tighten up. Well when I was freaking out about calories and food earlier in the year I was under constant stress...now the meds have reduced that for now so I am not under as much stress. I told him that I was off the meds now and he said to work with my PCP if I am too tight to put me back on a VERY low dose. He said it should help keep the edge off, loosen me up a bit and not cause the hunger side effects that they are known to produce. He was not as upset with my official 7 pound weight gain as I am. It was the first gain I had shown at the doctor ever! He just said ...now you are human like the rest of us!

Ruby - I have to agree with Janet that 1) too many carbs can cause a false weight gain. It takes 2 pounds of Water to digest 1 pound of carbs. So if you are eating a lot of carbs the body thinks it needs to store the Water and that could be the reason for the scale going up. Unfortunately the scale can't tell the difference between water and fat.

2) you may need to up your calories. Remember when I was working out so much when it training for the half? THe more calories I ate...the faster the weight came off. Now if I had eaten too many calories I would have gained (which is my situation now) but when I would rebel and eat fewer calories the weight loss would actually slow down. The body tries to maintain a balance...and if feels that it is being deprived of anything (food, water, exercise) it will rebel.

Alright I have to go eat (drink) something. For the first time in months I did not waking up STARVING.

Ok I went an did a daily plate on what I ate yesterday - and I am pretty good on guesstimating my calories - I guesstimated my calories yesterday at around 1010 - and welll guess what on my dailyplate it said that's what I had too :tt2: - I am pretty damn good at knowing the calories in what I eat - any way here's the breakdown

1010 c - fat 51 Carbs 146 Protein 56

My fat was high I guess the cracker and lamb ??? Oh you know what when I put in stuff pepper for lunch - I bet it thinks hamburger - I used turkey - so I bet really it's not that high - the only thing with fat was the crackers...

It said to maintain my weight 1800 calories - well - on most days I don't eat that much - I am anywhere between 1000 to 1500 - maybe that's why I am 143 not 145 - but that's ok I really wouldn't mind 140 :eek: - as long as I stay between 140 - 145 I will be happy.

Karri - I was thinking last night OMW that girl had a long drive and was up at the crack of dawn... (you guys wouldn't beleive it but I think about you all - all the time even when I am not on the computer ) I am glad you stopped and rested..

How's DH's Mom doing?? How's he doing?? Hugs

I gotta say I don't wake up starving - I am hungry around 8-9-10 depending on how busy I am... I'm not hungry now and it's 9:30 but exercising does that to me - it takes away my hunger - I know that's odd most pple say it increases their hunger..

Well did my 3 miles :mellow: foot seemed ok - felt good to get back into my routine :thumbup: - it was funny today as I was on the treadmill I was looking down at my feet and get what - there is no tummy in the way - it was sorta a shock. Things you reallize that you haven't before - I look like a thin person - I feel thin - but can't say my mind always thinks I'm thin - it's weird...

Well, I need to do something besides sit on the computer running my mouth - I need to throw in a load of wash - will CBL :cool2:

Hmmm... I was always cold before surgery and now it's worse, so I can relate to that! And I know I have a slow metabolism, too.

I emailed Janet about this new issue because I couldn't get on the LBT site, but now it's working again so I can run this past the rest of you. My doc finally got a hold of me last night about my lab work. She is puzzled because my Vit. d level is less than half what it should be... she said normal is 50 ng/ml, mine is 22. She knows I am out in the sun a lot (well,as much as I can get in WA!!) so this is not making any sense. My arms are quite tan so I know I'm getting some sun.

So now i'm getting all stressed out about this.

I did a little research online and that was just scary, so I quit. I'm getting plenty of sun, take Centrum Silver chewable every day and have about 10-12 oz of fat free milk every day.

So what's up with this Vit D deficiency???

Any ideas out there?? Karri, any thoughts on this??

My doc said, "let's do a little experiment. Get as much sun as you can while you're in CA and we'll run the tests again when you get back." Well, we won't be home for probably SEVEN MONTHS!! DH wants to stay down there until about May 1st because it was so cold and miserable after we got home this past spring! I'm not really comfortable with letting this ride for that long!

Edited by phyllser

I tried posting this earlier...but alas LBT wasn't working.

There is really no change in MIL at all. She is pretty much sedated at all times. She has a feeding tube, a ventilator, and all sorts of other machines hooked to her. DH went yesterday to visit but she was out for tests and after waiting for 2 hours he decided to leave. I am working at school right now and he went to see her.

As for waking up hungry...that is the worst. I have to eat with 1/2 hour of waking up or I just get nasty. However this morning it was different...there were no hunger feelings. Though I have to say that when the hunger did hit it hit with a vengence. I don't do well when I am hungry in the morning. I can be hungry in the afternoon and evenings and pretty much ignore it but when I am hungry in the morning...WATCH OUT!

I have so much work to do at work that I am taking the day off from exercising. Since Sunday I have burned 2600 calories so I think I will be okay. I also don't do well exercising on liquids...that should make tomorrow's race fun! I have a 10K race tomorrow that I am really looking forward to. I am hoping that it really sparks my enthusiasm again. It was my first race that got me hooked so I need this one to do the same thing. I am hoping that because it is mostly downhill that I can break the hour barrier for the 6.2 mile run. That is my goal...and it is a lofty one considering that the last time I did a 6 mile run I was at 1:20.

Hmmm... I was always cold before surgery and now it's worse, so I can relate to that! And I know I have a slow metabolism, too.

I emailed Janet about this new issue because I couldn't get on the LBT site, but now it's working again so I can run this past the rest of you. My doc finally got a hold of me last night about my lab work. She is puzzled because my Vit. d level is less than half what it should be... she said normal is 50 ng/ml, mine is 22. She knows I am out in the sun a lot (well,as much as I can get in WA!!) so this is not making any sense. My arms are quite tan so I know I'm getting some sun.

So now i'm getting all stressed out about this.

I did a little research online and that was just scary, so I quit. I'm getting plenty of sun, take Centrum Silver chewable every day and have about 10-12 oz of fat free milk every day.

So what's up with this Vit D deficiency???

Any ideas out there?? Karri, any thoughts on this??

My doc said, "let's do a little experiment. Get as much sun as you can while you're in CA and we'll run the tests again when you get back." Well, we won't be home for probably SEVEN MONTHS!! DH wants to stay down there until about May 1st because it was so cold and miserable after we got home this past spring! I'm not really comfortable with letting this ride for that long!

Don't panic!! At one of the in person support groups that I went to the nutritionist said that MOST people are Vit D deficient, especially when you live in rainy states! They can put you on a prescription Vitamin D pill that is 10000 units of Vitamin D (though from what I have read in journals, this is the least effective of the supplements). Most bypass need to take this all the time, but I would suggest that you get a specific OTC Vitamin D supplement. I just read a few articles on this in my peer reviewed journal subscriptions and it says that most people cannot get enough Vitamin D from their food or the sun. Also some medications can increase the breakdown of vitamin D within the blood and therefore reduces usable amounts. So if you are worried about it, take some extra supplements while you are down south and get some extra sun. Vitamin D deficiency is not an acute problem...so if you up your intake of supplements and get more sun you should be fine while you are gone.

I tried posting this earlier...but alas LBT wasn't working.

There is really no change in MIL at all. She is pretty much sedated at all times. She has a feeding tube, a ventilator, and all sorts of other machines hooked to her. DH went yesterday to visit but she was out for tests and after waiting for 2 hours he decided to leave. I am working at school right now and he went to see her.

As for waking up hungry...that is the worst. I have to eat with 1/2 hour of waking up or I just get nasty. However this morning it was different...there were no hunger feelings. Though I have to say that when the hunger did hit it hit with a vengence. I don't do well when I am hungry in the morning. I can be hungry in the afternoon and evenings and pretty much ignore it but when I am hungry in the morning...WATCH OUT!

I have so much work to do at work that I am taking the day off from exercising. Since Sunday I have burned 2600 calories so I think I will be okay. I also don't do well exercising on liquids...that should make tomorrow's race fun! I have a 10K race tomorrow that I am really looking forward to. I am hoping that it really sparks my enthusiasm again. It was my first race that got me hooked so I need this one to do the same thing. I am hoping that because it is mostly downhill that I can break the hour barrier for the 6.2 mile run. That is my goal...and it is a lofty one considering that the last time I did a 6 mile run I was at 1:20.

Karri - Good Luck on your run today !!!

It seems we all have our time of the day when we are hungry..

My DF was hooked up to all that crap to for the last month of his life - on and off the ventalor - feeding tube etc - it's no way to live and experssed that to his doctors - Prayers & Hugs as I know what DH is going thru -

Well Gang you all were quite yesterday - I went to the show last night

DO NOT SPEND $$$ ON LAKEVIEW TERRACE... It's slow and predicatable what you see on tv ads are the best parts - don't waste your $$$ - thankfully gf daughter gave her passes so we didn't have to pay...

Not much to report on this morning - pb'd last night at panda express - my 1st real pb at a restaurant - that's the thing with eating out - I really try to avoid fast food crap - but at 9:30 at night you don't have very much options - and your freind like to eat at places like that - I wanted el pollo loco but it was closed for sit down - panda wasnt' ... I would say that with the band my food options are limited when it comes to fast food .

but gotta say when I got home I could eat the rest of my noodles - I don't even want to go look up the calories - but I had only 1 cup max so I gotta ck it out... scales were ok this morning so I guess I am ok.

Well need to get dressed and go shopping for gf bday next week but don't really feel like it....

CBL:tongue:

Hello folks

spent the past couple days with grandbabies. They are so-o-o cute. We had a big family picnic and I didn't do too good with the food, although the scale hasn't moved. I haven't seen my nephew in about eight months or so and he told me I was getting tiny. (at 5'9"?) DD took some pics and mailed them to me............I don't know how to post them. Anyone out there want to do it for me? I'll e-mail the pics to you. Only problem is, I can't get them larger to view. Every time I try, the computer kicks me off. And the one I did see, looked pretty goofy, with closed eyes and all.

Hi Gang;

Wow you all have been so busy, took me a while to read up on everything I've missed.

There are a few issues going on for me right now that have kept me from the computer.

Too many hours at work, feeling a tad burnt out

Not getting enough exercise and ME time

Too much running back and forth looking after my Mom.

Not sleeping very well.

So, I made an appt. with a Counselor and it turns out that I am mildly depressed (even on medication) she feels that it is because of "care giver burn out" and that I need to re-balance the priorities.

I've been given a FUN things to do work list, seemed kinda childish at the outset but actually I is making sense to me.

I can't be all things to all people all of the time... there I've said it... I HAVE limitations and I've found them. STOP

Everytime I left my Mom's I'd go eat something very WRONG! Sugary, junk.. you know what I"m talking about...

She said the cravings were because of low seratonin and to get more sun and fun in my life...

O.k. I was all about to do that this weekend, then my Mom calls yesterday and I had to take her to Emergency. She had excutiating back pain that was not helped my muscle relaxants and tylanol.

We got to the ER at 6pm and didn't get out of there with pain meds until 2:30 a.m. SO needless to say I am whooped today and plan on hitting the couch.

I just wanted to touch base and wish Phyl a safe trip south with Earl!!!

and Hello's to Ruby(you're doing great girl,up that protien), Janet, Linda, Karri, Kari & Stephanie.

Missed you all

C:wub:

Hello folks

spent the past couple days with grandbabies. They are so-o-o cute. We had a big family picnic and I didn't do too good with the food, although the scale hasn't moved. I haven't seen my nephew in about eight months or so and he told me I was getting tiny. (at 5'9"?) DD took some pics and mailed them to me............I don't know how to post them. Anyone out there want to do it for me? I'll e-mail the pics to you. Only problem is, I can't get them larger to view. Every time I try, the computer kicks me off. And the one I did see, looked pretty goofy, with closed eyes and all.

Kari - you can email them to me and I will post... - Yes even at 5'9 you can be tiny :biggrin: Remember this isn't a diet so don't beat yourself up for family picnic's - every now and then is fine - not just everyday :sneaky:

Hi Gang;

Wow you all have been so busy, took me a while to read up on everything I've missed.

There are a few issues going on for me right now that have kept me from the computer.

Too many hours at work, feeling a tad burnt out

Not getting enough exercise and ME time

Too much running back and forth looking after my Mom.

Not sleeping very well.

So, I made an appt. with a Counselor and it turns out that I am mildly depressed (even on medication) she feels that it is because of "care giver burn out" and that I need to re-balance the priorities.

I've been given a FUN things to do work list, seemed kinda childish at the outset but actually I is making sense to me.

I can't be all things to all people all of the time... there I've said it... I HAVE limitations and I've found them. STOP

Everytime I left my Mom's I'd go eat something very WRONG! Sugary, junk.. you know what I"m talking about...

She said the cravings were because of low seratonin and to get more sun and fun in my life...

O.k. I was all about to do that this weekend, then my Mom calls yesterday and I had to take her to Emergency. She had excutiating back pain that was not helped my muscle relaxants and tylanol.

We got to the ER at 6pm and didn't get out of there with pain meds until 2:30 a.m. SO needless to say I am whooped today and plan on hitting the couch.

I just wanted to touch base and wish Phyl a safe trip south with Earl!!!

and Hello's to Ruby(you're doing great girl,up that protien), Janet, Linda, Karri, Kari & Stephanie.

Missed you all

C:wub:

Candice GF - Hugs on the Mom situation :girl_hug: Yep being a care giver is really really hard... I understand the burn out and not being on the computer 24/7 - so don't fret - we understand.

Yes try and carve some time out for you!!! Once my shrink had me taking off on Fridays (stress related to work and other stuff - my work was afraid of a stress suit or work comp claim so they gave me the day off with pay) and I was to do something for me - massage - beauty shop - museum - show - shopping whatever - but that day was just for me...

And yes when we are down - those carbs - sweets etc are the things we crave - not protein... All I can tell you is with this knowledge use it to try and fight off the demons - if you have to give in - small amounts and sf if possible...

Wish I could help - all I can do is offer a shoulder - so it's here for you..

xoxoxo

J

Today was a good day!!!

Down 3 pounds and I finished the 6.2 mile run in 1:00:58. That is only 58 seconds higher than my goal and considering this is the longest run since surgery...I did pretty freaking good! At the halfway point, I had beat my personal best for 5K and then by the end of the race had beat my personal best for a 10K by...get this...20 minutes!!!

18_3_110.gif 18_3_110.gif CONGRATULATIONS KARRI 18_3_110.gif 18_3_110.gif

SO HAPPY FOR YOU

How are you feeling

(besides being on top of the world)

18_1_36.gif

sig.jsp?pc=[object Object]&pp=ZKxdm005YYUS