Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Good morning ladies.

Ruby, sorry to hear about the tummy cramps. But good to hear that you are still having a great start to a new day. It's been cool here for a few days. Hoping it dries out so we can go outside and play today.

Phyl, I hope you enjoy those jeans! What a huge accomplishment for you! Wear them with pride. I'm so happy for you I'm bursting.

I need to get a bunch of stuff accomplished today so I'll probably be gonemost of the day. I don't seem to get a lot done when I sit here all day.

Have a great day ladies. Enjoy your skinnier life today! Look on the great side and tonight share with us what your awesome weight losses have allowed you to do today. I'd love to hear it from all of you.

Hello again Lucky Sevens. I need some advice... I've attended 2 support group meetings being hosted at my doctor's office. They meet a couple of times a month but I do not find the people in the group very inspiring.. in fact I find them to be the opposite of inspiring and more a cautionary tale. What galls me is that they then turn and offer me advice in a condescending manner... I'm thinking I should just stop going to this support group. What do you think?

Hello again Lucky Sevens. I need some advice... I've attended 2 support group meetings being hosted at my doctor's office. They meet a couple of times a month but I do not find the people in the group very inspiring.. in fact I find them to be the opposite of inspiring and more a cautionary tale. What galls me is that they then turn and offer me advice in a condescending manner... I'm thinking I should just stop going to this support group. What do you think?

What advice are they giving you??? Whats the cautionary tale. Have they pple been banded longer than you. Have they been successful or not as successfull as you..

My 2 cents - I don't go to mine #1 cuz it's too far away and it's on my exercise night and 2 girls there were I can't do this or than and it's very small - for me I found that my Lucky #7 and 50 + and LBT in general was all the support I needed.

It depend on what you want - abd what you get out of them...

If it were me, I'd stop going. A support group is meant to give you support. The kind of support you need. If you're not getting that there, you need to find it somewhere else. This thread is my support group. You need to find something or someone that works for you.

I think of it in the same way as I think about when I was looking for that magical weight loss answer. I tried all the diets, all the pills, all the exercise routines I could. Some of them were successful (temporarily) some of them were total failures. But I kept looking for something that worked. My advice would be for you to keep looking.

If that group doesn't work for you, see if you can find another. If group sessions don't work, see if you can find someone who will talk with you one-on-one. You may find that one person in one of the groups. Someone who thinks the same way you do.

When you have your support system in place, whatever it is, you'll have a better chance of being successful. :)

3 of the bandsters are 1 year + but only one has reached goal, the other 2 lost 45 and 60 lbs respectively. There are about 3 other bandsters who've been banded between 4-6 months and they've lost 20 and 35 lbs respectively. The 1 year+ bandsters who lost 45 and 60 haven't lost an ounce in 5 months or more. They all still look grossly overweight and whatever they are doing, it clearly isn't working. They sit around and talk about which Protein shake/shot is best and our doctor has specifically told us NOT to drink Protein Shakes but THEY all do it and the group leader says nutritionists reccomend it and she agrees with them because she's going to school to be a nutritionist and it says you have to get 60-80 grams of protein a day and it's too difficult to get it from eating if you are trying to keep your calories between 800-1,000. This is basically what was discussed in both meetings and it's kind of chaotic and there is one guy in there (the one who lost 135 lbs) who's just smart alecky and rude and interrupts everyone. They all pretty much have an attitude and treat me and one other new girl as if we're idiots and yet proportionately and timewise, if you average it out, me and the other new girl are actually doing better than they have. Anyway, I just don't like them and find them depressing. I want to be around people who are on the road to success or those that have already succeeded because right now I need inspiration because I'm in major bandster hell.

Got my 2nd fill yesterday and I'm still hungry and have no restriction and feel like so far the band hasn't done anything for me except bleed my wallet.

Wow.. sorry about the run on sentences. I'm just feeling all pent up inside.

Wow.. sorry about the run on sentences. I'm just feeling all pent up inside.

No problem - I am the worst in my grammer - we aren't english teachers here and the ones who are over look it - we had this discussion a long time ago.. Cuz my spelling is bad and I don't always spell check and am a terrible proof reader of my :)

Ok with that info - I would quit going too..

Really my girls here have been my support - and agree we aren't suppose to drink our Protein -8.57 oz of meat provides your 60 grms of protein - that's 2.68 per meal and doable even with good restriction.

Sorry you don't have restriction yet - but know it can take a few days for a fill to settle in - and again for me the fill doesn't take away my hunger - it just restricts how much I can eat.

How much can you eat per meal - what are you eating..

I can eat 3 cups of food at a meal if I allowed myself but I try to stop myself at 1 1/2 cups. I'm not at a point where I can handle stopping at 1 cup. Oftetimes, it's about 2 cups of food before I stop myself (not the band because I just don't feel it).

Dionna,

I'm sorry you are having such a struggle with your support group. I have to admit I'm a little more obnoxious than these other ladies. I wouldn't stop going. I'd go and I'd be more vocal. I'd talk about what IS working. What HAS been a success. How you ARE getting all your Protein in without shakes. How you ARE dealing with cravings.

One month there was a lady there who would interject all the time about why things WEREN'T working for her. She had an excuse for everything....eating, drinking, exercising. When it came my turn to talk I talked about how I had overcome those things. I admitted I still struggled with some of these issues but that I didn't think it was insurmountable. I talked about my triggers and how I fought them. I did NOT attack their excuses, just talked about MY experience.

To stop going, in my opinion, does a disservice to those others who really do need help. You can be the voice of reason for a lot of people. Maybe being THEIR support will help you feel supported. But you do need to be vocal and positive. When I share things that work for me, I reiterate to myself what I'm doing IS working.

As for shakes, I still drink my protein in the morning. I asked my NUT about it and she said that as long as I'm not doing it because I'm too tight to eat, and instead because I don't eat Breakfast normally, she was fine with it. I always get more than my needed protein and have no problem with cheese and meat if I don't have my shake. I just want to hedge my bets. It's a good boost to my morning.

Those are my thoughts. I hope they help a bit. Oh....and if you lean on us a little more because you get the support and ideas here, more power to you. I have plugged this website at EVERY meeting I've been to. I've written it down for people, I've even convinced my NUT that she should come and see what it's all about. This is a great support but I need the face to face.

Good luck and glad to see you here. I think it's awesome that you have found this a comfortable place to come.

Thanks, Stephanie. What you say sounds like the more honorable route than just skipping out on the group. However, as much as I want and need a face to face group, I just don't think this is the right group for me (the chemistry isn't right or maybe I'm the bad apple in the mix). I am going to try to find other support groups in the area and keep coming to this site.

Thank you Lucky Sevens for being such an inspiration and being so understanding of the whining newbie.

Now...for the rest of you....a plug.

I don't know how often I've talked about my proticcino but I do LOVE it. I also love the cocoa with Protein that I ordered. I just thought I would add this for some of you as we start getting into cold weather.

I've really started drinking my coffee again as mornings are cooler. But I want it to be something good for me too so I've added my prot. to it. Here's my recipe..... I take 1 bottle of proticcino mix and poor it into my shaker. I add 8 oz of coffee. I then put a little Creamer and 2 things of splenda into a large coffee mug, pour in the prot that has been dissolved and then top with coffee to fill. It is JUST like a Cappuccino you get in the convenience stores....only you get 15g of protein. In the evenings when I need a little warm or chocolate, I have some of the sf cocoa that I ordered at the same time. I love their mint cocoa. Actually probably going to order some more.

Now...where do I get all of that? At mydietshopz.com . Their shipping is great, fairly cheap, and you can get free samples when you order enough stuff. Again, I'm not saying we should be drinking our protein, but if I'm going to put 100 cals in my body, I want it to have SOME benefit. I'm not crazy about their oatmeal or their other shakes...the proticcino is much thinner, more like iced coffee. So, just thought I'd mention it as the days are getting cooler. I LOVE them and am getting ready to order again.

Later ladies...have a great day

I can eat 3 cups of food at a meal if I allowed myself but I try to stop myself at 1 1/2 cups. I'm not at a point where I can handle stopping at 1 cup. Oftetimes, it's about 2 cups of food before I stop myself (not the band because I just don't feel it).

Ya you have no restriction - give this fill a day or 2 and if you still don't have any call your doc and get another one...

I guess I have been very lucky my doc was agressive by my 2nd fill I really was at my sweet spot -

Thank you Lucky Sevens for being such an inspiration and being so understanding of the whining newbie.

You are welcome to join us if you want - we beleive in adoption :)..

Salsa & Steph weren't banded in 7/07 but have been adopted by us -They are totally lucky #7 girls..

As you know I have popped into your thread once or twice - and I don't know how it's going - but if you want you can come here with your questions - one of us will answer...

You need support - will will give it to you ...

Thanks, Stephanie. What you say sounds like the more honorable route than just skipping out on the group. However, as much as I want and need a face to face group, I just don't think this is the right group for me (the chemistry isn't right or maybe I'm the bad apple in the mix). I am going to try to find other support groups in the area and keep coming to this site.

You mentioned there was another newbie in that same group. I would suggest you find some alone time with her and ask what her opinion is on what she's getting out of things. If she's feeling as badly as you about everything, perhaps you can join forces. Exchange e-mails, phone calls or get together on a forum such as this.

It sounds to me like you're in a group of glass-half-empty people. You need glass-half-full people. But perhaps their rants and raves are part of their own personal release system. I complain all the time here. It helps me get things out of my system so that the rest of my life and day may not be as polluted. If you look at my ticker it will show that I've lost almost 70lbs. But in the last 5 months I've lost and gained the same 5lbs and it's getting to me more and more now.

I need to figure out what's going wrong. What worked for me that first 7 months stopped working. It doesn't surprise me, but it does frustrate me. I'm not over-eating, but I am eating the wrong things. I don't lead a stressful life, but this weight issue is stressful in and of itself.

What's happened to me is that I've become comfortable. I'm in the perfect position as far as band restriction goes to maintain. The only problem is, I'm 20lbs away from goal. :) If you ignore my menstrual troubles, during "normal" times I can eat 2 Cookies and feel satisfied. I don't need the whole pack like I used to. I can eat a bite or two out of a slice of cake and be satisfied instead of the whole cake. I can eat a couple of spoons of ice cream and be satisfied. This kind of revelation to me is such a wonderful and freeing experience.

Now the problem with that is, I will eat those things and not feel guilty because I'm not overeating. BUT, I'm still eating wrong. I realised today that at the beginning of this journey I was so excited and eager and determined that I did 95% of everything RIGHT. I followed the rules, I ate the appropriate food, I exercised when I should. Right now the only thing I probably am more determined about is my exercise. It's more of a mental than physical thing. I need to get myself back on track and focused on the goal the same way I was in the beginning.

23_30_8.gifDionna- Welcome to the Lucky Sevens. You couldn't ask for a better group of women......for support and friendship. Join us. I won't say that this is all the support you need, but I will tell you that this is it for me. I was banded in Mexico and live in a small town in the country. I depend on this site for support. I may not post a lot, but I am here everyday lurking. It has taken ten months for me to find restriction...........now, it is great. I started this journey at 291 and am now at 179. I'm aiming for 150 but will be delighted with 160. I'm a lot like Ruby though, I'm getting tired of seeing those same five pounds come and go. Exersize is the thing that has gotten me this far...and hopefully the rest of the way to goal.

Thanks for the info on the TVs. We are leaning towards Vizio. It is the cheapest of the bunch. I was just afraid that it was one of those disposable TV's I read about.

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb112&pp=ZSYYYYYYNWUS