Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

I hope that it will be alright that I am below 150. I don't want to send my body into shock when they remove a lot of excess skin. I am very excited about the weightloss but I don't think I am going to call it just quite yet.

My nutritionist is an IDIOT! I emailed her this morning because I wanted to be a good little patient and do what I was supposed to. She blasts back that I should NOT be training for a marathon and that in her opinion I should not be working out until my weight is stable. Her exact quote "Don't you know what your body has been through this year? You have the rest of your life to complete your goals." Yeah I think I said that the entire time I was fat...so that didn't quite work for me. So apparently if you study food you don't take a holistic approach to health...apparently it is just about food...no exercise. So I did my part and now I am going to ignore her. I am still waiting to hear back from the PS.

Well I have a bunch of kids in for lunch recovery so I had best get going.

I hope that it will be alright that I am below 150. I don't want to send my body into shock when they remove a lot of excess skin. I am very excited about the weightloss but I don't think I am going to call it just quite yet.

My nutritionist is an IDIOT! I emailed her this morning because I wanted to be a good little patient and do what I was supposed to. She blasts back that I should NOT be training for a marathon and that in her opinion I should not be working out until my weight is stable. Her exact quote "Don't you know what your body has been through this year? You have the rest of your life to complete your goals." Yeah I think I said that the entire time I was fat...so that didn't quite work for me. So apparently if you study food you don't take a holistic approach to health...apparently it is just about food...no exercise. So I did my part and now I am going to ignore her. I am still waiting to hear back from the PS.

Well I have a bunch of kids in for lunch recovery so I had best get going.

I agree 100% - hell you are getting your body in shape - I would think the more mucsle you have the better you will be after your surgery -

I really don't understand the logic on wanting you to stop losing the weight - heck you are as tall as me and 120 (not saying that you want to go this thin - but I was there once upon a time in my early 20's and I was HOT) is a good weight for someone our height.. So I just don't understand.

Since you are our marathon girl - look at all the people who run - they are on the thin side...

You do what you think is best for you- but if you go below 120 - I am going to get after you ok - I will fly up to Oregon and take you out to eat:biggrin:

Karri, your nut sounds like a nut....the screwy kind!!!!

I would say it may be time to find a different nut. Have you talked to a trainer at the gym? Maybe they need to have their head examined before they give out any advice.

I think setting a healthy goal, like running a marathon in a year, is amazing, healthy, and entirely realistic. Your body has been through a lot in a year but it's not like it has been cancer or a car accident or something. People all the time come through those catastrophies and go on to some pretty amazing things....in a couple years' time. I don't think you are doing anything crazy.

I guess I understand the PS not wanting to send your body into shock and all I have to go by is what I've seen on tv, but they took off a ton of skin on some of those people on big medicine. I would guess that your body would be better prepared for the surgery and you would have better muscle tone to build on if you continue to work out. But again, not a doctor.

Good luck with your nutty nut. Mine pushes exercise, exercise, exercise every month at our meeting, so I think your is just nutty! Maybe we should call her Squirrel.

Well apparently I get all the nutty ones! My PS just sent me the list of things that she wants medical clearance on before my TT. So I called the doc that I am having my annual exam with tomorrow to find out if I needed to fast. They are REFUSING to test me for these. Since I don't have any medical need for them, she won't order them. Now there is NO way that my insurance is going to cover them. Though some of these are legitimate to get tested just because of all the weightloss and the fact that I am losing hair. But her nurse cut me short and said that if I wanted this testing done then my PS better order the labs.

My PS did say that she would do the operation if I am under 150 but that she wants me to try and stay at a consistent weight before surgery. I reminded her that I was training for the half-marathon and she is happy with that. It will increase blood flow and I should be in peak health...but the body can go into shock if you take off too much skin. She said it is not as much about being at a certain number because the 10% rule she uses is just to be cautious...but that she wants me to be able to be at a stable weight. She is pretty certain she will be close to removing 15 pounds of skin which would take me to 135. So while 150 is still considered overweight, we do have to take into consideration that 15 of that is coming off with the knife. So if you look at it that way...I am getting to the middle of my BMI. She said we will talk more when we get the test results back and that will determine our course of action.

My nutritionist is an IDIOT! I emailed her this morning because I wanted to be a good little patient and do what I was supposed to. She blasts back that I should NOT be training for a marathon and that in her opinion I should not be working out until my weight is stable. Her exact quote "Don't you know what your body has been through this year? You have the rest of your life to complete your goals."
Karri, your nut sounds like a nut....the screwy kind!!!!

I would say it may be time to find a different nut. Have you talked to a trainer at the gym? Maybe they need to have their head examined before they give out any advice.

I think setting a healthy goal, like running a marathon in a year, is amazing, healthy, and entirely realistic. Your body has been through a lot in a year but it's not like it has been cancer or a car accident or something. People all the time come through those catastrophes and go on to some pretty amazing things....in a couple years' time. I don't think you are doing anything crazy.

I guess I understand the PS not wanting to send your body into shock and all I have to go by is what I've seen on tv, but they took off a ton of skin on some of those people on big medicine. I would guess that your body would be better prepared for the surgery and you would have better muscle tone to build on if you continue to work out. But again, not a doctor.

Good luck with your nutty nut. Mine pushes exercise, exercise, exercise every month at our meeting, so I think your is just nutty! Maybe we should call her Squirrel.

You took the words right off MY keyboard...

the NUT is a NUT!!

Loony Tunes!!

Off her rocker!

Did anyone see Big Medicine last night???

That one gal had something like 40 lb of skin removed!! Ugh!!

You need to stop them in their tracks and say "I'm not trying to get skinny, I'm working towards being healthy."

I don't know if anyone else feels the same way about the word 'skinny', but to me it's not always a positive thing. It can be just as bad as saying someone's fat. It just doesn't sound healthy. And remember, just because they say the words, doesn't mean it's true.

I haven't always felt this way though. All the time I've been struggling with losing weight I've said to myself "I WANT TO BE SKINNY!!!!!" But not anymore. More than anything, I want to be healthy. I think this change in thinking is helping me with my weight loss journey. I'm so tired of thinking of myself as having a weight loss problem. This week my scales stayed the same again. And I wasn't bothered by that. My body is changing, I'm feeling better than I ever have in decades and food doesn't dictate my life. I think differently about it. I choose meals according to their calories and Protein values more often than I choose them because I want to taste that food in my mouth. I've stopped beating myself up for wanting something sweet, then the following day wanting something salty. I know I'm always going to have the most problems when Aunt Flo is around, but for the rest of the month, the discipline is more tolerable. I can live with that now.

We went to a pot-luck get together for ex-pat Canadians to Celebrate Victoria Day yesterday. There was food galore there. I spent more time talking and enjoying the company of other people than looking at the food and imagining myself stuffing it all in my mouth. That's a NSV for me. There was cake, candy, chips, Pasta and lots of other evil foods that in the past would make me miserable because I'd want SO bad to load my plate up with as much as I could carry and want to go back for seconds, thirds, fourths, hoping someone didn't notice. I nibbled a few chips, had a bite out of some cake, passed on the candy and pasta and just drank Water and talked, and talked and talked. And I really had a good time!

We need to stop putting pressure on ourselves to look as good as other people expect or think we should. I know I don't have the body of a model. I know I never will. I don't want to. But this is the first time in forever that I can look at myself in the mirror and not be disgusted. I have plenty of parts that need improvement, but oh my word it's such a relief not to have to carry that fat person attitude around with me anymore.

Ruby - Love the way you explained things. That is how I feel. I'm going to struggle with certain foods for the rest of my life, so if the urge hits, I don't beat myself up over it. I figure if I don't gain, I'm doing good. So far, it's working. Maybe I'm not losing as fast as I could be, but I'm not deprived and I'm a whole lot healthier. That is why I got the band. A lot of people come up to me and call me skinny........5'9" and 200 lbs is still a long way from skinny but I guess if you compare it to what I used to be.....yeah, I'm skinny.

BTW..... my mood today...... discouraged!! scale did NOT move for two weeks in a row! Yet, I seem to be quite tight. But thinking about going for another fill. Could only eat a few bites of my dinner last night... grilled salmon with broccoli and cauliflower. It was a 6 oz piece of salmon and I ate maybe 1-2 oz before I had to send it to the refrigerator leftover stash! I know... I am still at about 5 lb a month, but why does it have to come all at once and then nothing for a few weeks???? Frustrating! OH, well, the trend continues to be DOWN. It's just SO SLOW~~!!

I probably would have been down if we hadn't gone out to eat after church yesterday. I had this Mexican prawns dish... pretty healthy, but I had a few chips beforehand, and I ate a little of the rice and Beans. So, no one to blame but myself, I guess!

I was just so happy that DD actually wanted to go to lunch with us!! We always go to the same place and I almost always order the same thing.

Well apparently I get all the nutty ones! My PS just sent me the list of things that she wants medical clearance on before my TT. So I called the doc that I am having my annual exam with tomorrow to find out if I needed to fast. They are REFUSING to test me for these. Since I don't have any medical need for them, she won't order them. Now there is NO way that my insurance is going to cover them. Though some of these are legitimate to get tested just because of all the weightloss and the fact that I am losing hair. But her nurse cut me short and said that if I wanted this testing done then my PS better order the labs.

My PS did say that she would do the operation if I am under 150 but that she wants me to try and stay at a consistent weight before surgery. I reminded her that I was training for the half-marathon and she is happy with that. It will increase blood flow and I should be in peak health...but the body can go into shock if you take off too much skin. She said it is not as much about being at a certain number because the 10% rule she uses is just to be cautious...but that she wants me to be able to be at a stable weight. She is pretty certain she will be close to removing 15 pounds of skin which would take me to 135. So while 150 is still considered overweight, we do have to take into consideration that 15 of that is coming off with the knife. So if you look at it that way...I am getting to the middle of my BMI. She said we will talk more when we get the test results back and that will determine our course of action.

Karri - can you get your band surgeron to order the test that way it would be covered by insurance and your PCP won't help you out - some of those test can be expensive .. What test to that want done??

You took the words right off MY keyboard...

the NUT is a NUT!!

Loony Tunes!!

Off her rocker!

Did anyone see Big Medicine last night???

That one gal had something like 40 lb of skin removed!! Ugh!!

I recorded it last night - there were like 3 new shows... Will watch to nite hopefully

Ruby - Love the way you explained things. That is how I feel. I'm going to struggle with certain foods for the rest of my life, so if the urge hits, I don't beat myself up over it. I figure if I don't gain, I'm doing good. So far, it's working. Maybe I'm not losing as fast as I could be, but I'm not deprived and I'm a whole lot healthier. That is why I got the band. A lot of people come up to me and call me skinny........5'9" and 200 lbs is still a long way from skinny but I guess if you compare it to what I used to be.....yeah, I'm skinny.

Kari - You have height on your side :(

Karri - How tall are you? Back in high school and college, I weighed between 145 and 155. Now As I mentioned in the last post, I'm 5'9". Now, back then, I wasn't fat, but, by no means was I a skinny minnie. I'd say, I was average. In fact, hot. So, unless you are as tall as me, I wouldn't worry about losing more pounds. You're also building muscle. What's wrong with that?

Yesterday, I did pretty good. Couldn't sleep so I got up early, showered and got my pedaling in before church. Then we headed out to see the grandbabies and babysit. I put the baby in the stroller and we went walking. I don;'t know just how far it was, Seemed like a couple miles, but in reality, it was probably only about a mile total. I had big plans to go join a gym today, but decided to hold off till tomorrow. I went by the pace the other day and they had a big sign saying they were having a sale and could join up for $199. for the year. Now that is more my speed.

Okay broke down in tears and called the PS. I don't know what to do about my weight. I really don't WANT to lose anymore. I hardly recognize myself in the mirror now. I am perfectly fine with being the weight I am. 100 pounds was my goal...and I am going to be significantly lighter after my surgery. My PS said...yes...they often times take more than 10% of the body weight on those shows like Big Medicine and there are no problems...but she also said that is reality TV and those patients are usually the extreme case and have gone through much counseling and waivers so that they understand the risk they are taking. Personally I would rather be a little higher weight that is considered skinny and come out of the surgeyr alive! She said mine was going to be one of the most extensive surgeries she has ever done, because of my anatomy. Her reasoning for not wanting me to be much under 150 is that she wants me at a STABLE weight. If you body is still in losing mode it is harder to heal...and I am going to have A LOT of healing to do. After all, my surgery is going to take 6 hours! She agrees that I will be in the best shape of my life and said if she could get all her TT patients to run a half-marathon 4 days before surgery she would be the happiest doctor alive. However, she does not want me focusing on losing weight. She point blank asked me if I wanted to lose more weight when I was finished with surgery and I SAID NO. She said... that is what I want to hear. Her opinion is unless your skin is interferring with your ability to lose weight (as in the case of LJM) then she doesn't want to do it until you are ready to claim victory. Well I am there. I am not going to stress if I lose more weight (though she REALLY DOES NOT WANT ME BELOW 140) but I am going to try to stop the weight loss. Again she reiterated that I should be at a size 4 when she is done...That is not even fathomable to me. So if I weigh 150 and am a size 4 there is no way that I am going to consider myself fat. I am 5'4.5" tall with BIG boobs. I don't want to look disproportionate.

Okay well I am back in tears because I am not certain what I should do.

As for the insurance covering my labs...my band doctor would be the last person I could go to. He is out of state and my surgery wasn't covered at all. I talked to the lab place and they will attempt to bill my insurance and then bill me. At least then I can make payments!

Good morning 7's!!!

I had a great day yesterday. Rode over 200 miles! That was my first big ride and I guess I did it up big. Before that 15 miles was my max. My tailbone hurt by the end though. Holey Hannah I almost cried trying to sit through graduation. Last year when I bought my bike the seat was nice and cushy. Yesterday I realized that it wasn't the seat that was cushy, it was my butt! It's not so cushy anymore. We're talking about getting me a better (read bigger) bike. I don't know, I like mine, it just doesn't have a lot of power.

The zoloft must really be working because I didn't even cry through the graduation. I usually sit there and bawl. It really is sad though. I'll miss my pipsqueaks.

Can I have a bit of a meltdown here though? This is going to sound very irrational but I need to get it out and my DH just isn't going to get it. My mom was here, as you know for a few weeks. She has always been small. When she had her restaurant we actually worried about her getting too small. At one point she was shopping in the children's section (she is also very short). Well so she was all hung up on my weight loss. But also very hung up on her weight gain. Now for my mom, at 4' 11" and 130 pounds, I just rolled my eyes. I told her about tracking her meals and seeing that she is eating well and balancing out her nutrition. I thought that was important because she can eat one meal of eggs and toast a day. anyway....

Last night she calls and asks about daily plate and I gave her the address again and she says she walked a mile and how excited she was and now she's looking into joining a gym. Great for her, I'm really excited about it, but a little concerned that she thinks a size 8 is fat. But then I talked to my BIL and he says "I hear your getting really skinny." uhhh....no???? What has my mom told them? What are they expecting? I'm proud of me but what if they think I'm going to be skinny when I get out there at the end of the week. I have this crazy fear that they are going to look at me and think, "So what's the big deal? She's still fat!" I wanted to go out next week and everyone be proud of me and now I think they are expecting something I'm not. Now how are they going to be happy? I know that there is no way they won't be excited to see me down almost 60 pounds, but I really think they are expecting something I'm not.

See....completely irrational. grrrrr. I hate it when I'm irrational. And as irrational as it is, I can't get it out of my head. I dreamed about it last night. How stupid is that?

Okay....semester tests today so I'll be online quite a bit today. I have to sit very quiet and still. So I'll correct tests but other than that, surf the net.

Have a great day 7's. See you in a bit.

Mothers are just goofy!! Yours sounds like mine, when I am dieting she is all "ooh are you sure your eating enough?" then when I am in Pig out mode she is like " honey, is that your second or third piece of cake?" "why don't you just save some for tomorrow"...

ARGH!!!

You look just lovely, I've seen your pictures... and I have no bias and no reason to lie to you.. so relax you are beautiful just the way YOU are RIGHT now.

I went to see an old friend yesterday, have coffee and a chat she says "wow, you are really doing well with your weight loss!" (she dosn't know I've been banded) what do you weigh now 150??? :({I wish}

No ,I said in the "180's" but it was sure nice to hear anyways!!

but where on earth do I find this EEvo ??? is it a Fat free margarine or something like it???

I don't think I've ever seen it in Canada... perhaps I'll have to buy a case of it when I come to M of A... and truck it back across the border.

By the way how is your D=I=L ?? Is she healing o.k. ?? I've thought about her often.

but where on earth do I find this EEvo ??? is it a Fat free margarine or something like it???

I don't think I've ever seen it in Canada... perhaps I'll have to buy a case of it when I come to M of A... and truck it back across the border.

By the way how is your D=I=L ?? Is she healing o.k. ?? I've thought about her often.

EVOO is extra virgin olive oil.

EVOO is extra virgin olive oil.

Hee,hee,hee still laughing at myself here.:(