Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

I do agree with what Janet has to say too. Maybe what you should do before you pick out an arbitrary number is to workout 1 month keeping track of how many minutes you do, and then base your goal for NEXT month on how you did this month. If you think that what you did this month is good for next month then you keep it the same. If you feel like you need more then bump it up a few minutes. But if you find that you are never going to get to 30 minutes a day then 900 would be unrealistic. You have to see how it is going to fit into your life. I started my exercise challenges the first day I joined LBT just after surgery, so we gradually moved into it. So I kmew what was going to be realistic from the start.

So basically ignore my first post. Mom's are always better at giving advice. She made me rethink my original post and come up with a different approach. Gosh...isn't she good!

Thank you Baby Girl !!!

I am pretty proud of me too :lol:..

But gotta say going to the dentist today is taking the edge off my happyness - but I will just tell him to turn up the gas :tongue:

I did get flamed by someone else on that thread where I posted my pound is a pound - but also got a rep point too - More right ons - than flames... :cool2:

Well you are usually right! I think you stated it very well!

Hopefully the dentist will put you into wonderland for a few minutes.

Edited by salsa1877

I do agree with what Janet has to say too. Maybe what you should do before you pick out an arbitrary number is to workout 1 month keeping track of how many minutes you do, and then base your goal for NEXT month on how you did this month. If you think that what you did this month is good for next month then you keep it the same. If you feel like you need more then bump it up a few minutes. But if you find that you are never going to get to 30 minutes a day then 900 would be unrealistic. You have to see how it is going to fit into your life. I started my exercise challenges the first day I joined LBT just after surgery, so we gradually moved into it. So I kmew what was going to be realistic from the start.

So basically ignore my first post. Mom's are always better at giving advice. She made me rethink my original post and come up with a different approach. Gosh...isn't she good!

Darling - It's the benefit of AGE... There are some very good things that come with it - KNOWLEDGE FROM PAST EXPERIENCES :cool2: and some stuff we don't like (aches pains saggy skin etc) - but truly I would rather be my age now that to have to grow up again (we all know I am not really a grownup - I just fake it - cuz deep down inside I am still a 2 yrs)

HOLY CRAP...I am tired, hungry, and it is almost that TOM. I have already eaten 955 calories today. I just finished eating my afterschool snack because I am hungry but I have some major sweet cravings going on and that is VERY unusual for me. I was hungry after dinner last night, I was hungry when I woke up this morning, and frankly I have been hungry all day. I didn't eat anything after dinner last night, but with the kids pissing me off all day, being exhausted, and just plain irritated I did eat my food early today. Water isn't helping...just making me hungrier. I think I may have to go over my 1500 calorie allottment today. I haven't been over my calorie goal in like 4 weeks, so it might just be time today.

Any words of wisdom to keep me on track!!!!

Am I setting myself up for failure or is 900 minutes a good goal? What do you all think?

Here's what I think....

I have my goal set at 13 hours (I may adjust it higher this month). I calculated that on the fact it gave me 26x30min workouts. 30/31 days in a month, so it gave me about a day a week that I could take off if I wasn't feeling too good. I have days once in a while where I'll have more energy to burn, so I'll do another workout on the elliptical or treadmill. This will help me build a buffer in case I get sick or get injured.

For me, I only calculate these designated workouts into my routine. As I've mentioned before, I walk everywhere because I don't drive. And sometimes I'll just go for a walk around the neighborhood to get some fresh air and to "blow off some stink" as my dad would say. :cool2: I don't add these minutes to my exercise totals. If you're going to take these extra walks and things into account, then the 15 hours you're considering probably isn't too extreme.

Having said that though, I think for a first goal you should shoot a little lower so as not to risk getting too discouraged if you get halfway through the month and find you're nowhere near the halfway point in your goal. :tongue:

Make that 1155 calories. I just ate some mini chocolates. Yes I know...not a good choice, but I will not be eating until dinner and as long as I stay under 350 calories for dinner I will be in my alotted calorie range. I really don't like being this tired. It sets me up to be hungry!!!

Janet--well, I'm glad that you didn't wait till New Year's to start your Lap Band journey. . . I'm not going to gang up on you--yet. Enjoy your victory over food for awhile. 1 1/2 pounds to goal is fabulous.

We could ambush her at the M of A?!!

Tie her up and take away her ciggies??

Nah....she'll give them up when she's ready!

Hmmmm... do you think we know each other too well!??

I guess my question is this. If I set a goal of 900 minutes (which is 30 minutes a day), is that way too much? When I walk it is usually 45 minutes at a time so I'm not pushing quite as hard as it sounds and some days I will do the walk AND the total gym. Am I setting myself up for failure or is 900 minutes a good goal? What do you all think?

Too ambitious, as Janet says, IMHO!!

Having said that though, I think for a first goal you should shoot a little lower so as not to risk getting too discouraged if you get halfway through the month and find you're nowhere near the halfway point in your goal. :cool2:

I agree!

JANET,

GREAT WEIGH IN!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

HOLY CRAP...I am tired, hungry, and it is almost that TOM. I have already eaten 955 calories today. I just finished eating my afterschool snack because I am hungry but I have some major sweet cravings going on and that is VERY unusual for me. I was hungry after dinner last night, I was hungry when I woke up this morning, and frankly I have been hungry all day. I didn't eat anything after dinner last night, but with the kids pissing me off all day, being exhausted, and just plain irritated I did eat my food early today. Water isn't helping...just making me hungrier. I think I may have to go over my 1500 calorie allottment today. I haven't been over my calorie goal in like 4 weeks, so it might just be time today.

Any words of wisdom to keep me on track!!!!

popcorn - sf popcicles since you can't eat dairy.. this is what I eat when I am hungry..

Janet and Karri make perfect sense. So I went back and looked at my daily plate information that I've been logging. I have 15 days worth of data and I could look at my exercise minutes for each day. In 15 days I totalled 525 minutes for an average of 35 minutes per day. there were 3 days in there with absolutely no exercise and 3 with 60 minutes each. I think I will be much busier this month than I was last and so 30 per day may be a bit excessive. However, after May 23rd we are out of school and I will have all day with the kids to add in walks and stuff. One of my neices is getting ready to join the airforce and she is working out pretty heavy and I have promised to tae bo with her while I'm there for graduation.

I am going to set the 900 minute goal. I think if I don't I will regret lowering my expectations. On the days I don't do it I will have to make up for it somehow. Either calorie wise or extra the other days. There are still those walks with my mom that take much longer. And when I walk and do gym I'll be getting bonus minutes too.

So I did hear you and appreciate your comments. I think 30/day could be pushing it, but I didn't do all this NOT to push myself. I push myself every day while the family is eating ice cream and Cookies and other rubbish. So I'm going to push here too. No excuses. If I have to walk while it is dark or walk at lunch because my evening is full, so be it.

Karri, you have inspired me and I'm looking into a 5k for sometime this summer. I'm not quite up to your level but I can at least walk it easy. I remember doing the walk-a-thon when I was a kid and that was 20 miles. I can do this!

Thanks for the advice everyone. BTW, where is everyone today. Sorta quiet. Phyll??????

Water patrol. I'm at 32 oz. oh...and I'm only counting water and tea because I need to increase those and make them more of a staple in my diet. and I consider crystal lite water. What I don't count is my coffee (because I'm not drinking it for thirst, its for my enjoyment only), milk in my Cereal, broth in my Soup. Whatever you count is up to you, but that's my logic.

cbl all

We could ambush her at the M of A?!!

Tie her up and take away her ciggies??

Nah....she'll give them up when she's ready!

Hmmmm... do you think we know each other too well!??

JANET,

GREAT WEIGH IN!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Ya we know each other pretty well I would say :cool2: Nothing wrong with that IMHO :tongue:

Thanks - I am pretty happy !!!

Thanks for the advice everyone. BTW, where is everyone today. Sorta quiet. Phyll??????

Two things: #1... couldn't get on the site ALL morning.

Just kept saying "loading" but it never did.

#2....having a bummer day because today is DD 42nd birthday and she's not speaking to us again. She is BIG TIME pissed at us because we went to DGD's court thingy yesterday for her DUI. They want to knock out ALL the props...no support of any kind. However, we think they are forgetting about the LOVE part of tough love, so we went. Didn't really realize that she would get so mad. I mean, it's not like we took out the checkbook and paid her fines. We were there just to give her a hug and let her know we care.

Wow...I do not advocate for giving in to cravings often, but those 4 little butterfingers did the trick. For the first time in a day and a half I am not starving. Sometimes when our bodies have cravings we have to listen. Seriously I feel at peace now! Now this is only the second time since being banded that I have had any kind of candy so I am perfectly fine with my choice. Geez...I wish I would have given in several hours ago. Would have made my life and the life of my student's much more pleasant today.

Well I am off to the doctor in 14 minutes.

Phyl. I'm feeling so sad that you are having such problems with your daughter. I can't understand it b/c my own parents show so little interest in my kids--especially when it comes to problems that they may be having. I'd give anything to think that they'd care enough to show up at court if one of them had to appear--my parents never made it to a basketball/soccer/volleyball game or wrestling matches. Never mind any of the other activities the kids were involved in in high school (much less college). They're not even going to my son's wedding (MA is too far to travel--never mind that they're ivisiting my DS in PA right now!) My point is that I think it's wonderful that you guys went to court. Your daughter should be grateful. But then I think that my own kids don't show gratidude either. They expect a lot, and we keep giving it. Maybe we need to let them struggle more.

IMO you did the right thing. I'm sorry that your daughter feels the need to punish you. You don't deserve that. I am proud of you and what you did and continue to do. More and more you are becomming a role model for me. I just want you to know that.

Phyl. I'm feeling so sad that you are having such problems with your daughter. I can't understand it b/c my own parents show so little interest in my kids--especially when it comes to problems that they may be having. I'd give anything to think that they'd care enough to show up at court if one of them had to appear--my parents never made it to a basketball/soccer/volleyball game or wrestling matches. Never mind any of the other activities the kids were involved in in high school (much less college). They're not even going to my son's wedding (MA is too far to travel--never mind that they're ivisiting my DS in PA right now!) My point is that I think it's wonderful that you guys went to court. Your daughter should be grateful. But then I think that my own kids don't show gratidude either. They expect a lot, and we keep giving it. Maybe we need to let them struggle more.

IMO you did the right thing. I'm sorry that your daughter feels the need to punish you. You don't deserve that. I am proud of you and what you did and continue to do. More and more you are becomming a role model for me. I just want you to know that.

Now you're going to make me cry again!! I can't begin to tell you how much your supportive comments mean to me!! Thanks so much! It's been a tough day. DH went over and cut their lawn today, as he does every week when we're home (5 acres) and then got a Happy Birthday balloon and tied it to the mailbox! Gotta keep lovin' them even when they're not lovable! Guess that's what we were trying to show DGD yesterday.

23_30_126.gif

I'm getting ready to start my sixth bottle of Water for the day. Phyll -, where do you get those darling little smilies?? I need to find a floating one.

Exersize - My exersize goal is to pedal everyday. I aim for one hour..............mostly do more but sometimes (usually Sundays) I do less. The only times that I did not exersize at all were the two days to and from Florida.

Steph - That being said, I think you can do your challenge. 30 min. a day isn't a whole lot especially since most days you'll do more.

Janet - Your fears aren't silly. Heck, I had my mammy the other day and they called me today and I have to go back and have them redone. I'm hoping the change is because of the weight loss and not the big C. Has anyone else here have a difference in their mammy since being banded?

Karri - What happened at the doctors with your foot? Did I miss it here? Don't mess around with it. Screw up the feet and it's very possible to screw the weight loss. We don't want that.

My May ex. challenge - I am going to try to add weights and/or walking to my pedaling. I'm afraid to say everyday cause I don't think I'd do it, so I will say 5 times a week. That's my goal for May.

I WILL TALK TO YA ALL LATER, I HAVE TO GO MAKE MY BLADDER GLADDER.