Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Janet, did you hear me cursing you this morning? :P I set my incline up another degree to 6 and my speed up .2 points to 4.1. I'm pooped! Halfway through I was complaining "This is all Janet's stupid idea!".

But obviously I'm still alive to moan about it, and that's a good thing. :biggrin2: It's made me extra thirsty too, so I'm started on my first bottle of Water already. Have a wonderful day ladies. I'll be back with my clipboard a little later to tally up your water intake. :smile2:

Janet, did you hear me cursing you this morning? :mad: I set my incline up another degree to 6 and my speed up .2 points to 4.1. I'm pooped! Halfway through I was complaining "This is all Janet's stupid idea!".

But obviously I'm still alive to moan about it, and that's a good thing. :biggrin2: It's made me extra thirsty too, so I'm started on my first bottle of Water already. Have a wonderful day ladies. I'll be back with my clipboard a little later to tally up your water intake. :smile2:

Ruby you have me cracking up this morning :tongue::lol: a Great way to start the day - Yep we have to challenge ourselves - Its not that we can't it's we think we can't...

I am on my 1st 18 oz Fuze for the day - have to drink all this before I eat.

You are right about the brownine points - I like the hat idea :w00t: I need all the protection I can get and I love your hat Phyl - I can switch them during the day..:lol:- I think I am on a bipolar up swing - I am just so full of energy today !!!! I am just feeling my oats and on top of the mountain - Gosh I love when I feel like this - too bad I am at work - I could be home cleaning out the garage or something.

Calories yesterday 995... This is form you daughter in blue... :biggrin2:

Ok off to my desk - HAVE A GREAT DAY LADIES :P:thumbup:

CBL:thumbup:

Hey Everybody,

I didn't post last night cause I had to go make groceries. (Dats how we say it round here)

I bought a roasted chicken from the Wal-mart. I picked his bones cleaned, chopped up the meat, and mixed it with Tostitos Spinich Dip. It taste just fine.

I also had to cook some chicken breast I had defrosted yesterday.

I didn't get to the tub till 10:20.

Calories yesterday, I bit more than I want: 1100

Water, I didn't really count, but I drank like a fish all day.

Coffee 12oz, Water at least 48oz

I'll keep track today, How much water would you say is in the big mega mugs you can get from the gas stations.

Oh hell never mind, it's got 34oz written on the side of it. DUH:blushing:

I don't know if I ever told you girls, I do have blond hair and huge boobs.

Now I know my water daily is at least 68oz plus 12oz coffee for Breakfast, Water is never problem, I love it.

Phyl--You're always good for a smile! I'm so glad you're one of us!!

Another insane day today. I feel like I'm constantly on a treadmill that is going faster and faster with the incline getting higher and higher. The end is in sight, but about 2 weeks out yet. Until then, like Karri (?) my students are swirling about trying to make up a semester's worth of work. I don't even have time to shop for some clothes, which I desperately need. Poor DH is fending for his own food. I hope I make it. . .

Hang in there, Kid!! You'll make it!

We're rooting for you!

Janet, did you hear me cursing you this morning? :smile2: I set my incline up another degree to 6 and my speed up .2 points to 4.1. I'm pooped! Halfway through I was complaining "This is all Janet's stupid idea!".

GOOD JOB!!

:P- I think I am on a bipolar up swing - I am just so full of energy today !!!! I am just feeling my oats and on top of the mountain - Gosh I love when I feel like this - too bad I am at work - I could be home cleaning out the garage or something.

MUST BE THE HAT!!

Hey Everybody,

I didn't post last night cause I had to go make groceries. (Dats how we say it round here)

I bought a roasted chicken from the Wal-mart. I picked his bones cleaned, chopped up the meat, and mixed it with Tostitos Spinich Dip. It taste just fine.

I also had to cook some chicken breast I had defrosted yesterday.

I didn't get to the tub till 10:20.

Calories yesterday, I bit more than I want: 1100

Water, I didn't really count, but I drank like a fish all day.

Coffee 12oz, Water at least 48oz

I'll keep track today, How much water would you say is in the big mega mugs you can get from the gas stations.

Oh hell never mind, it's got 34oz written on the side of it. DUH:blushing:

I don't know if I ever told you girls, I do have blond hair and huge boobs.

Now I know my water daily is at least 68oz plus 12oz coffee for breakfast, Water is never problem, I love it.

Good Morning, Mango!

Hope everyone has a gREAT day!!

We have "Primetimers" at church this morning. I am supposed to try and get some games going but everyone just likes to sit and talk, so that should be a challenge! DH has already told me "the men just like to sit and talk. We don't want to play games!"

After that.... going to court with DGD.... her DUI from Dec. That should be fun..... NOT!!

3_12_23v.gif

10_1_112.gif

Questions for Karri, and anyone else crazy enough to run. :unsure:

I looked at the Couch to 5k workout schedule. And I'm thinking about it. I don't know if I'm serious or not yet, but I'll give the first workout a shot tomorrow and see how I go.

My questions:

Should the incline be set to 0?

How fast should I be running? Talk to me in percentages. 50% means I can still hold a conversation while puffing and panting. 75% means I can't talk but I'm not dying. 100% would be if I were running away from a hungry lion.

Questions for Karri, and anyone else crazy enough to run. :unsure:

I looked at the Couch to 5k workout schedule. And I'm thinking about it. I don't know if I'm serious or not yet, but I'll give the first workout a shot tomorrow and see how I go.

My questions:

Should the incline be set to 0?

How fast should I be running? Talk to me in percentages. 50% means I can still hold a conversation while puffing and panting. 75% means I can't talk but I'm not dying. 100% would be if I were running away from a hungry lion.

I can't say I am a runner - but trying it out - I would set incline on zero and I run at 5.0 speed - and as far as talking as you do it - I think that rule is for walking not running :huh2: I would say can't talk but not dying.

I fully understand the point – and I think we actually all agree on the basic principal but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the statement that “muscle weighs more than fat.” It does---- about 30% more! It’s not a myth. That is how a 225lb weight lifter can have only 18% body fat.

I don't know what other mean when they say "muscle weighs more than fat" but I do know what I mean --what a physicist (like Albert Einstein) means -and what my medical team means. It means that all the elements in the universe have unique weights for the same volume. A pint of lead, mercury, helium, oxygen, fat, muscle, and Water all have different weights. This law of physics is very important to me as I work my weight loss

plan because when I step on my scale and I lose very slowly or even gain a little when I KNOW that I have been eating and exercising well – that I understand that I have been replacing lighter fat with heavier muscle mass. It’s also possible that because of my time in the month or because I have been taking in too much salt, water (which is heavier than fat) is being retained. I also know that certain medications or hormonal changes can explain what is happening to me. I’m also know that if I’m going to be successful I can not use this understanding to kid myself because another reason I may have slowed or gained is because of what or how much I have been eating. When I consider all of this together I realize that I must be honest with myself but that I must also learn to be patient and gentle with myself. One way I can scientifically see if I am replacing heavier muscle with fat is to use a tape measure to see if I am losing inches. Another way is to go to a lab where they can accurately track my fat/muscle ratio.

Good morning all. I just thought I would check in. Missed my first class this morning because of an IEP meeting and then 1/2 of my second. I really feel like I need to be there because I want to be this kid's advocate and on mom's side, but it really throws my day into a dither. I have had a cup of coffee this morning but I'm now not counting coffee as liquid intake. Water and v8 fusion only. Oh...and iced tea. If I can't count tea I quit! It is my liquid of choice all summer and usually drink about a half gallon a day. I will still work on the 3 bottles of water, and maybe this summer will be different. Who knows.

Last night on the total gym I did my leg pulls and my arm pulls and then added in butterflies. Then I read that the first two should be the limit for the first two weeks for "non-exercisers". Do I fit that category? I haven't lifted weight for over a year. I know I've been walking so I'm not sure if I fit. My plan was to do it every night adding in one new exercise until I built up to the full 20 minute workout. That would take about a week because there is 7 exercises and I'm guessing I won't make EVERY night.

I have been wondering about the calorie tracking....on the daily plate it gives me my gross calories and then I track my exercise and that gives me calorie burn and then they subtract those and give me net calories. Like calories in/calories out. For my weight, height, and activity level, to lose 2 pounds a week they say I can consume 1180 cals daily....which is about the 1000 limit surgeon told me. Okay...so my question is, would you consider that 1180 NET cals like they do or 1180 gross cals. I've been sure to stay under NET (almost every day), but not always gross (okay, usually not gross). My difference looks like this since I've been tracking.

Mon: 1201/872

Tues: 1344/955

Wed: 1184/1184

Thurs: 1485/1485 (really bad day....slaps her hand)

Fri: 1250/1049

Sat: 985/985 (had I exercised I could have had a GREAT day, dangit)

Sun: 1352/1218

I'm not overly concerned because of my weight loss...it is dropping like it is supposed to. I do know, however, that as it drops it will get harder and I will need to revise. See Janet, I was listening....See Karri, I am making a plan!!!!

So, what is your advice. I would like everyone's opinion. What do you all think? And yes, I know I have to get those bad days under control. Finding it easier now that I'm doing something in the evenings besides tv. And honestly most of the calories are GOOD choices, just too much food. My carbs are higher but that's because I'm adding the Kashi and that adds Protein and Fiber so it is a toss up that I have chosen to accept.

Okay...time for lunch....gotta run. I'll check back in later

I fully understand the point – and I think we actually all agree on the basic principal but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the statement that “muscle weighs more than fat.” It does---- about 30% more! It’s not a myth. That is how a 225lb weight lifter can have only 18% body fat.

I don't know what other mean when they say "muscle weighs more than fat" but I do know what I mean --what a physicist (like Albert Einstein) means -and what my medical team means. It means that all the elements in the universe have unique weights for the same volume. A pint of lead, mercury, helium, oxygen, fat, muscle, and Water all have different weights. This law of physics is very important to me as I work my weight loss

plan because when I step on my scale and I lose very slowly or even gain a little when I KNOW that I have been eating and exercising well – that I understand that I have been replacing lighter fat with heavier muscle mass. It’s also possible that because of my time in the month or because I have been taking in too much salt, water (which is heavier than fat) is being retained. I also know that certain medications or hormonal changes can explain what is happening to me. I’m also know that if I’m going to be successful I can not use this understanding to kid myself because another reason I may have slowed or gained is because of what or how much I have been eating. When I consider all of this together I realize that I must be honest with myself but that I must also learn to be patient and gentle with myself. One way I can scientifically see if I am replacing heavier muscle with fat is to use a tape measure to see if I am losing inches. Another way is to go to a lab where they can accurately track my fat/muscle ratio.

Okay...as a chemist/physicist (yes I have degrees in both) I do have to say this one thing. 1 pound of fat = 1 pound of muscle. You are right in saying that a gallon of muscle will weigh more than a gallon of fat. But the statment that a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat is absurd. A pound is a pound! However, what IndioGirl was trying to say is that people OFTEN delude themselves into the thinking that just because they are working out but the scale is not changing that they are somehow miraculously converting their fat straight into muscle. It is very hard to do that. NOW if you are dropping sizes but the scale is not moving then the argument is valid...you probably are gaining muscle. So if your body is shrinking but the number on the scale is not, then you are converting your fat into muscle....however if your body is not shrinking AND the number on your scale is not shrinking then you are NOT gaining muscle...but merely maintaining your current weight.

One mistake A LOT of people make is that they start exercising and so they feel that they can eat more food. When they do that it equals out the extra calories they are burning and therefore no weight is lost.

Also it is a myth that you turn fat into muscle. Your body breaks down the fat and uses the energy as fuel for your body when you are not consuming enough calories. Then as you lift weights/exercise you create minor tears in your muscle. Your body uses energy to rebuild those muscles. The more tears in the muscle the more energy the body needs to repair them...hence the more calories you burn. Remember calories are nothing more then energy. We have just given them a different name (DOn't you love us scientists)

So you both have valid points

A pound of muscle weighs EXACTLY the same as a pound of fat.

A pound of muscle takes up less space then a pound of fat.

Another way to look at this. If you are 250 pounds with a very HIGH body fat percentage you are going to be MUCH bigger than some who weighs 250 pounds but is ripped like the Incredible Hulk. However, when they step on the scale they will get the same number.

A pound of lead is going to be smaller in size than a pound of feathers - Muscle (lead) vs Fat (feathers) - put it still just a pound - so you can not say that I didn't lose weight cuz I gain a pound of muscle in one weeks time - besides you build muscle on a cellular level and I am sorry your cells aren't going to multiply in a week period of time to build 1 lbs of muscle (well maybe if you take steroids but even then it's a reach)

The losing inches when the scales aren't moving - goes to the fact that muscle takes up less space than the fat does - so we are losing inches even if we aren't losing weight - they off set each other.

Yes a lot of factors go into what shows on the scale - but it all boils down to calories in vs calorie out and being honest with yourself on what you are actually eating and what your actual intensity of your exercises to be - not our perceived notions but actual evidence.

And as you lose weight you have to ramp up the intensity of your exercise cuz the smaller you are the less calories you burn that when you were your original weight... and the smaller you are the less calories you need to maintain that weight.

Good morning all. I just thought I would check in. Missed my first class this morning because of an IEP meeting and then 1/2 of my second. I really feel like I need to be there because I want to be this kid's advocate and on mom's side, but it really throws my day into a dither. I have had a cup of coffee this morning but I'm now not counting coffee as liquid intake. Water and v8 fusion only. Oh...and iced tea. If I can't count tea I quit! It is my liquid of choice all summer and usually drink about a half gallon a day. I will still work on the 3 bottles of water, and maybe this summer will be different. Who knows.

Last night on the total gym I did my leg pulls and my arm pulls and then added in butterflies. Then I read that the first two should be the limit for the first two weeks for "non-exercisers". Do I fit that category? I haven't lifted weight for over a year. I know I've been walking so I'm not sure if I fit. My plan was to do it every night adding in one new exercise until I built up to the full 20 minute workout. That would take about a week because there is 7 exercises and I'm guessing I won't make EVERY night.

I have been wondering about the calorie tracking....on the daily plate it gives me my gross calories and then I track my exercise and that gives me calorie burn and then they subtract those and give me net calories. Like calories in/calories out. For my weight, height, and activity level, to lose 2 pounds a week they say I can consume 1180 cals daily....which is about the 1000 limit surgeon told me. Okay...so my question is, would you consider that 1180 NET cals like they do or 1180 gross cals. I've been sure to stay under NET (almost every day), but not always gross (okay, usually not gross). My difference looks like this since I've been tracking.

Mon: 1201/872

Tues: 1344/955

Wed: 1184/1184

Thurs: 1485/1485 (really bad day....slaps her hand)

Fri: 1250/1049

Sat: 985/985 (had I exercised I could have had a GREAT day, dangit)

Sun: 1352/1218

I'm not overly concerned because of my weight loss...it is dropping like it is supposed to. I do know, however, that as it drops it will get harder and I will need to revise. See Janet, I was listening....See Karri, I am making a plan!!!!

So, what is your advice. I would like everyone's opinion. What do you all think? And yes, I know I have to get those bad days under control. Finding it easier now that I'm doing something in the evenings besides tv. And honestly most of the calories are GOOD choices, just too much food. My carbs are higher but that's because I'm adding the Kashi and that adds Protein and fiber so it is a toss up that I have chosen to accept.

Okay...time for lunch....gotta run. I'll check back in later

Looks like I am in Science Mode today!

First of all...I think that all liquids should be counted. If we go into the chemistry of the situation ALL of those products consumed are at least 90% water. Yes caffeine has a MILD dehydration effect, but if you drink 8 oz of coffee the caffeine is NOT going remove 4 oz of the water from your body! So therefore I would count it. I don't drink straight water except for when I am the gym. Otherwise I drink crystal light or diet V8 splash. I count all of those things.

As for the gross vs net thing...it is totally up to you. If you are losing weight at a rate that is happy for you then you should be happy. Let me tell you this...the calculations say that you have to burn an additional 3500 calories before you can lose a pound. However, even if you had a bodybugg and could account for EVERY movement you make, if it shows a 3500 calorie defecit you will most likely not see a 1 pound difference. You may see a gain or a 3 pound weightloss or anything in between. That is because your weight is WAY more complicated then just how many calories you consume. Yes you must burn more calories than you eat in order to lose, but water, hormones, and electrolyte balance will throw the scales totally off!

Okay I will be back shortly I have to finish this class!

Okay I want to finish what I was posting. LONG TERM: you have to burn 3500 calories to lose 1 pound of fat...but you can't expect that to show up on the scale immediately. That damn scale doesn't know the difference between fat or Water.

So in conclusion, you just have to find what works. If you need to lose faster you either need to exercise more or eat less calories. IN ALL HONESTY...Exercise burns very few calories while you are doing it...and unless you have a bodybugg or similar metabolic tester the estimates they give you on the machines or from a computer are not necessarily accurate. Especially if you have been doing the workout for a long time. This is why marathoners will gain weight sometime when they are training. Even though their calories stay the same their body gets very used to the motions they are doing and it doesn't take as much energy to do that any more. Think about when you are learning something new in school...it takes a lot of work to get it right the first couple of times, but then after a while it becomes easier and takes less effort...same thing for your body.

Okay I have got to get back to work...I hate grading weeks!

That sight is wonderful. i love that it does the calculations for u. I have a body bugg but it doesn't tell me what to do to lose. Thank you for the information. And yes this week i have flipped my meals (as suggested) and changed my workout so we will see. You girls must know what i need when i need it. You guys are always posting when i am thinking things. (maybe we are hitting the same problems at the same time) thanks girls

So I sent this email to my DH...love that guy! But now I am going to pose the same question to my wonderful family. I know ultimately the decision is mine, but I have learned that sometimes others can give you a perspective that you can't see. I get VERY tunnel visioned in life sometimes!

Okay so my foot hurts REALLY bad. I am going to go to the gym tonight and try the eliptical. If I can't do that I am going to ride the bike, but there is something that I want you to think about. I HAVE to do the run on Sunday. I paid for it and I am determined to do it. But more important then that I HAVE to do the marathon in Sunriver. Not because of money, not because of pride, but because it is something I have to do for me. That is my moment and my time. That is my gift to me for everything I have gone through. What I would like you to think about is this...I either want to run the entire 1/2 marathon or run/walk the full marathon. Honestly...do you think with this injury/fitness level that I can run the entire 1/2 marathon? If I can't run the whole thing I am going to feel like I didn't accomplish what I wanted. Or do you think that I would be more likely to be successful running/walking the full marathon. I can tell you right now that if I finish the entire marathon I will feel like I accomplished a goal even if I don't run the entire thing. We have to consider the training.

1/2 marathon - running (much shorter distances but running the entire time)

Full marathon - combo walking/running (much longer distances, but can do cross training: walking/running/biking/elipticalling)

My ultimate goal is to run a full marathon next year, but I am wondering if I am pushing myself too fast and too hard to get to the 1/2 marathon. Or am I just being a pansy and just need to run through the pain? I don't want to make excuses, but I want to be realistic and not set myself up for failure.

First, you guys make me hungry by talking about food...........now you are all over exerting my brain. I am a blonde, you know. LOL Give me a break. Gonna start my third bottle of Water so I should get it all in today. Gave myself a break today, went to Subway for lunch. I forgot to post my NSV yesterday. Anyway, when I was hospitalized four years ago, they removed my wedding rings and by the time I was released, my ring indentation had filled in and I couldn't get my rings on. They would slide over the knuckles but then go no further. Then, I put on the weight after quitting smoking. I tried them on yesterday. Slid right on, right where they are sposed to be. They even turn. Man, they feel weird. Got to get used to them. DH has too much time on his hands. Decided he needed a haircut and was too cheap to pay the price for a haircut. He gave himself a buzz cut...........Looks like a cone-head now. I told him I was too embarrassed to go anywhere with him till it grew out. Got to find something for that man to do. Hm-m-m-m maybe I can get him a one way ticket on a slow boat to China. Nah, he'd still have too much time on his hands.

MAKE GOOD CHOICES AND DRINK YOUR WATER. TTYL