Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Sorry I worried you...I have been in meetings all day. And I am exhausted. Major food demons today. I was hungry all day...not head hunger, but actual stomach growling hunger. I woke up hungry and could not shake it all day. Then they provided us food in the meeting today and I have NO idea how many calories I had. I didn't eat anything bad, but I get nervous (almost shaky) when I don't know the calorie count. I should have just packed my own lunch, but I figured I am not going to be able to hide from food my whole life. I had my plan going in...a grilled chicken wrap with no dressing and fruit. That is all I had too, but of course I have been trying to figure out how to figure out how many calories all afternoon. I am crazy and it pisses me off. SO I estimated 400 calories for the entire meal, but that was totally a random guess!

But anyways I will survive. I am very happy with my perfectly measured and weighed foods, delightfully portioned out in ziplock baggies and calculated to the calorie. I don't see weighing and measuring as a chore or as a diet...it just makes me happy. Kind of like Jackie's cleaning...it is what makes us happy! Needless to say though it wears me out worrying what I ate. Dumb...I know. Plus I an trying to decide which is the lesser of the evils. Maybe you all can help. I either have to add extra calories (fats mainly as I am getting in more carbs now) or I have to eat bigger portions. And yes being unfilled I can eat now eat pretty big portions. Not as big as before, but at least triple of what I could when filled. So I don't know which one is safer for me. The portion sizes scare me because that was my biggest problem before. I am afraid that I am going to be hungry so I have been going with the bigger meals. My argument/justification is that if I am going to eat more, I don't want to have a lot of extra, needless calories. I guess my biggest fear is that my portions are going to go up to the point that I can't control it again. I know that I can always have a fill that will prevent that but not until August. Guess I am just going to have to be VERY careful.

Other than that, my day was very uninteresting. I am exhausted though. Can't imagine how DH is feeling. RIght now he is working 2 jobs. 6AM - 10AM and then 1:30PM to 10PM. Next week it is worse... 4AM - 8/9AM and then 1:30PM to 10PM. Today was my rest day on the half-marathon training but then I have 2 consecutive days of running. I am getting more and more excited about it. It is so weird to think that 13.1 miles really isn't that far. I have complete confidence in myself. It is such a nice...but odd...feeling.

Well I honestly think I am going to go to bed. I will get back up when DH gets home, but the mornings are coming early!

OH and by the way...we had snow again today. It didn't stick around long, but I REALLY want spring to get here. I am freezing!

Hi,

Just a quick update as it's been a long day. . .the PS consult: MOST EMBARASING MOMENT OF MY LIFE--much worse than delivering a baby--i'd rather go to the dentist. I am a very modest person, and the thought of me standing naked while they're taking pics of my fat was more than I could take. OK, with that said, it sounds like my surgery will be much like Karri's. We'll see what the insurance says. I am still planning on M of A--come what may. I am hoping for late June/early July. The PS is not happy with that--he'd like me on maintenance for 3-6 months prior to surgery, but my window of opportunity is very narrow. Now I wait on the insurance and DH.

More later.

Hi,

Just a quick update as it's been a long day. . .the PS consult: MOST EMBARASING MOMENT OF MY LIFE--much worse than delivering a baby--i'd rather go to the dentist. I am a very modest person, and the thought of me standing naked while they're taking pics of my fat was more than I could take. OK, with that said, it sounds like my surgery will be much like Karri's. We'll see what the insurance says. I am still planning on M of A--come what may. I am hoping for late June/early July. The PS is not happy with that--he'd like me on maintenance for 3-6 months prior to surgery, but my window of opportunity is very narrow. Now I wait on the insurance and DH.

More later.

Did he say why he wanted you on maintenance? Is it just to see if you will maintain your weight? My doc doesn't want me losing anymore weight but would have done my surgery the next day if she could have. The reason she doesn't want me losing more weight is because they can only take a certain percentage of your body weight in skin and fat and she doesn't want to get close to that level. So I am not supposed to get below 150. So far I have managed to lose 3 pounds since seeing her, but I am trying to stop that as well. The next few weeks are going to be a test though because of the increases in workouts due to half-marathon training.

Ruby - I wouldn't take the pills - tell them you are and keep going back complaining about the rash just so that i could get it covered by insurance. :scared2:

That's really naughty. :thumbup: And precisely what I think I'll do. :eek: The itching and the rash are annoying. But not so annoying that I can't put up with it for a little while. I mean, I put up with being fat for ages and that was depressing. A bit of red and itchy should be simple enough.

It's been a difficult day. I've been paying extra close attention to my hubby lately and have put my own needs in the background for now. I only got half of my Water in today. Bad monitor! :eek::eek: But my hubby is first and foremost in my mind. He works from home on his computer in another room and I've probably been smothering him a bit, constantly going in there to check on him. It wouldn't surprise me if he told me to bugger off and stop stalking him. :blushing: But he knows it's only because I care. And a couple of times he's needed my shoulder. So I'll keep doing what I am until I drive him insane. :lol: His mother's service is on Thursday in Toronto. There's going to be a small service there for her friends but she will also have a service in Edmonton for her family where they plan to scatter her ashes at the family holiday homestead. My hubby can only make one service and has chosen to go to Edmonton for the more personal one next month. Still, it will be a tough day for him on Thursday and I plan to take him to a Japanese garden or somewhere pretty for some reflective time for himself while her service is being held at the same time in Toronto. It's been hard for him and his emotions have been on a roller coaster since Sunday. But that's understandable and in a way I'm glad that he has me to lean on in this time of need. He's always been so giving of himself and while it's not an ideal situation it's comforting to me to be able to give back some of what he's given to me these past years.

Did he say why he wanted you on maintenance? Is it just to see if you will maintain your weight?

That's what I was wondering. I'm very interested in why as well.

I've had a few casual chats with the PS that did my boobs and he never indicated that there'd be a special diet before or after. He said he'd like for me to get an "all clear" from my lap band surgeon and consult together as to what to expect as far as port location, band size, etc but never discussed a time period of maintenance. :blushing:

Sorry I worried you...I have been in meetings all day. And I am exhausted. Major food demons today. I was hungry all day...not head hunger, but actual stomach growling hunger. I woke up hungry and could not shake it all day. Then they provided us food in the meeting today and I have NO idea how many calories I had. I didn't eat anything bad, but I get nervous (almost shaky) when I don't know the calorie count. I should have just packed my own lunch, but I figured I am not going to be able to hide from food my whole life. I had my plan going in...a grilled chicken wrap with no dressing and fruit. That is all I had too, but of course I have been trying to figure out how to figure out how many calories all afternoon. I am crazy and it pisses me off. SO I estimated 400 calories for the entire meal, but that was totally a random guess!

But anyways I will survive. I am very happy with my perfectly measured and weighed foods, delightfully portioned out in ziplock baggies and calculated to the calorie. I don't see weighing and measuring as a chore or as a diet...it just makes me happy. Kind of like Jackie's cleaning...it is what makes us happy! Needless to say though it wears me out worrying what I ate. Dumb...I know. Plus I an trying to decide which is the lesser of the evils. Maybe you all can help. I either have to add extra calories (fats mainly as I am getting in more carbs now) or I have to eat bigger portions. And yes being unfilled I can eat now eat pretty big portions. Not as big as before, but at least triple of what I could when filled. So I don't know which one is safer for me. The portion sizes scare me because that was my biggest problem before. I am afraid that I am going to be hungry so I have been going with the bigger meals. My argument/justification is that if I am going to eat more, I don't want to have a lot of extra, needless calories. I guess my biggest fear is that my portions are going to go up to the point that I can't control it again. I know that I can always have a fill that will prevent that but not until August. Guess I am just going to have to be VERY careful.

CHILL, Girl, CHILL!!!

It's going to be fine, REALLY!!

You're too disciplined to let this get away from you. You're going to be OKAY!!

Other than that, my day was very uninteresting. I am exhausted though. Can't imagine how DH is feeling. RIght now he is working 2 jobs. 6AM - 10AM and then 1:30PM to 10PM. Next week it is worse... 4AM - 8/9AM and then 1:30PM to 10PM. Today was my rest day on the half-marathon training but then I have 2 consecutive days of running. I am getting more and more excited about it. It is so weird to think that 13.1 miles really isn't that far. I have complete confidence in myself. It is such a nice...but odd...feeling.

Well I honestly think I am going to go to bed. I will get back up when DH gets home, but the mornings are coming early!

OH and by the way...we had snow again today. It didn't stick around long, but I REALLY want spring to get here. I am freezing!

I hear you!! No snow here today... after four consecutive days of it!!

Hi,

More later.

That does NOT sound like fun,

but all for a good cause.

Get it done ASAP so you can go to the M of A with us!!

Did he say why he wanted you on maintenance? Is it just to see if you will maintain your weight? My doc doesn't want me losing anymore weight but would have done my surgery the next day if she could have. The reason she doesn't want me losing more weight is because they can only take a certain percentage of your body weight in skin and fat and she doesn't want to get close to that level. So I am not supposed to get below 150. So far I have managed to lose 3 pounds since seeing her, but I am trying to stop that as well. The next few weeks are going to be a test though because of the increases in workouts due to half-marathon training.

Are you pursuing getting insurance to pay for this because of the back problems??

Phyl - My insurance said that I needed 24 months of documentation before I could get the Tummy Tuck. It is not worth it too me. I would rather work 2 years longer in my life then wait that long. I got financing with a REALLY good financing rate and I spread out the payments for like 60 months. While I have no intention of it taking me that long to pay it off I wanted to give myself the opportunity to pay off my lap-band and then pay off the TT quickly. I had my dad help me figure out what I could and couldnt' do. He is my unofficial financial planner. I lucked out that he is a bank branch manager!

Phyl - My insurance said that I needed 24 months of documentation before I could get the Tummy Tuck. It is not worth it too me. I would rather work 2 years longer in my life then wait that long. I got financing with a REALLY good financing rate and I spread out the payments for like 60 months. While I have no intention of it taking me that long to pay it off I wanted to give myself the opportunity to pay off my Lap Band and then pay off the TT quickly. I had my dad help me figure out what I could and couldnt' do. He is my unofficial financial planner. I lucked out that he is a bank branch manager!

Sorry!!

I asked you that exact same question last week, I think, and now I remember what you told me!!

Senior Moment.... you'll get there some day!!

:blushing::biggrin::scared2:

Phyl- I am there already! It is alright that you asked again. I didnt even remember that you had asked!

Okay I really have to go to bed now!

My connect was so slow for a while there - then had to go eat - Idol is a little boring - well I gotta see what David Cook does - He is my Fav..

OK Karri - I was just worried since you hadn't ck'd in all day...

You Band Mommy is going to give you a little talking to. I agree with Phyl - I totally get the being afraid - I really really do - but with all your exercise and training for the marathon you are going to have to do one of the 2 - #1 Eat HIGH CALORIE FOODS IN SMALL QUANTITIES - OR #2 LOWER CALORIE FOODS IN LARGER QUANTITIES - My vote would be for #1 so that you can still control your portion issues.

If you are hungry have a piece of fruit - or string cheese - you need the carbs for your training you need the fat for your skin and the tmi subject.. You are going to have to have energy to run 13 miles and you aren't going to get it from eating 1/2 cup of food.. And this statement - i am eating more that I was before the fill was taken out - Darling you were so tight that you couldn't eat - in something I can relate to how many cups of food do you eat per meal.

I agree with Phyl you gotta relax just a tad - were you this obsessive over eating prior to the band or is it the fear that is getting to you - Since I still have restriction and If I didn't KNOW that I would have problems - look at me now I am still trying to stuff my face even when I am full - that's one reason I got on the computer cuz I haven't finished my dinner - ate all my fish - 1/2 my Pasta (whole wheat 180 c for 1 serving) and haven't touched my veggies.. it's funny my band is tight at night - I wonder if it's the exercise - cus at lunch it isn't..

You are 100% more dislepend than me so chill a tad - eat some more fat you are going to do great - we are right here holding you up... Just don't go back to the foods that you ate prior to banding - those are your trigger foods..

Linda - I could totally relate to standing naked infront of the doctor - but this is their job - you aren't the 1st ex-fatty they have seen - I know that doesn't help but it's only a moment in time - next year at this time you will be so happy -

And I REALLY WANT YOU AND JACKIE TO COME TO M of A... I am going to guilt you guys into it :lol::lol::lol:

Phyl - Yes I am a bad girl :thumbup:- you guys just don't know about my bad side - I could be a crook - but I am afraid of Jail :lol::lol: I will tell you all in person how bad I was - but I am not posting it on the internet for the world to see - there was a thread once that said - What would people be surprised to know about you .... I almost posted but - really don't want that kind of info on the web :tt2:

Ruby - As stated above - I can come up with great ideas - heck you pay for the insurance and IMHO our surgeries (ps) should be covered by insurance as we have lost all this weight due to trying to get healthy and the residual fat and skin left behind is a mental problem for us which could cause us to gain the weight back..

Hugs to DH us who have lost our parents totally get his pain - for those who still have yours - call them right now and tell them you love them..

(omw I am an old jewish mother aren't I - no offense I think I was jewish in my prior life:tongue:)

Oh Karri - my investment broker is in Bend OR right now (he travels to offices who needs his help) - Edward Jones - he said you are like right next door - he told me about the snow -

Oh ya Phyl I was hot - I will send the heat your way - I hate being hot when I exercise and they had cleaned the ceiling fans last night and forgot to turn the one above MY treadmill on - I asked the manager about it but they didn't have anything to reach up there and the ladder was too big to bring out with the gym being full... My x made fun of me about exercising with the fan on me - he said that was the whole purpose of exercise is to sweat - but the stupid man didn't know that that's only Water weight and not fat and as soon as you drink a glass of water the weight is right back- I think pple who wear those plastic suits (and they still do I have seen it in the gym) are so STUPID....

ok my obsession with eating one more bite is gone - LUCKY #7 thank you

and it's 9:19 and so I gotta go make coffee and get ready for bed.

Karri - You will be ok -Hugs - We have faith in you and that in it self should hellp carry you thru - It does me - your guys faith in me helps keep me on the straight and narrow..

Oh ya Ruby - I have gotten my water for the last 2 day :tt2:

Sweet dreams - See ya all tomorrow....

Janet - Once again, it really scares me how much we are alike. When I read Ruby's post I was thinking, Hell No I wouldn't take those pills, just say I did, and nope they didn't work. I was even thinking what I could do to make the rash horrible before I go to the doc. Do you ever think how much money we saved our freakin insurance companies by getting this band, that most of us had to pay cash for?

Ya'll keep talking about pictures, what pictures? :tt2:

Janet - Once again, it really scares me how much we are alike. When I read Ruby's post I was thinking, Hell No I wouldn't take those pills, just say I did, and nope they didn't work. I was even thinking what I could do to make the rash horrible before I go to the doc. Do you ever think how much money we saved our freakin insurance companies by getting this band, that most of us had to pay cash for?

Ya'll keep talking about pictures, what pictures? :tt2:

Great minds think alike :thumbup::lol:

Got to the picture brag thread - it's under our main page July 2007

Ok I am really going to get off this computer !!!!

The reason the PS gave for having the weight be stablized was that he feels that prolonged dieting depletes nutritional reservs and delays healing. My counter to that is that I've been taking Vitamins and other supplements all along, and I can go back to Protein Shakes if necessary. I think I can convince him to do it as soon as I lose about 15 more pounds. I just have to find the cash if insurance won't step up (again!). He said that sometimes insurance will cover a panniectomy (tummy tuck), which only removes skin below the belly button. That solves the rash problem. He said that's about a 1 1/2 hour procedure. However, an alternative is a more extensive procedure called abdominoplasty (aka body contouring) which extends around to the sides and (in my case--and Kerri's i think) a vertical incision to the breastbone. That's a 3 hour procedure, and he quoted me about $8500. He said that insurance sometimes pay for the panni, but not the abdominoplasty. The other option, which in no way can I consider, is a complete lower body lift in which the incisions run completly around to the back. This would remove all the excess skin from the back and lift the buttocks as well as all of the above. That would be a 6 hour procedure for the low price of a little over $19K.

Ruby--I've been praying for you and your DH. It sounds like you're doing all the right things. This is a time to focus on family and tell them how much you love and appreciate them. That is how God heals these hurts--through the love of others.

The reason the PS gave for having the weight be stablized was that he feels that prolonged dieting depletes nutritional reservs and delays healing. My counter to that is that I've been taking Vitamins and other supplements all along, and I can go back to Protein Shakes if necessary. I think I can convince him to do it as soon as I lose about 15 more pounds. I just have to find the cash if insurance won't step up (again!). He said that sometimes insurance will cover a panniectomy (tummy tuck), which only removes skin below the belly button. That solves the rash problem. He said that's about a 1 1/2 hour procedure. However, an alternative is a more extensive procedure called abdominoplasty (aka body contouring) which extends around to the sides and (in my case--and Kerri's i think) a vertical incision to the breastbone. That's a 3 hour procedure, and he quoted me about $8500. He said that insurance sometimes pay for the panni, but not the abdominoplasty. The other option, which in no way can I consider, is a complete lower body lift in which the incisions run completly around to the back. This would remove all the excess skin from the back and lift the buttocks as well as all of the above. That would be a 6 hour procedure for the low price of a little over $19K.

Ruby--I've been praying for you and your DH. It sounds like you're doing all the right things. This is a time to focus on family and tell them how much you love and appreciate them. That is how God heals these hurts--through the love of others.

I have heard that insurance companies will pay for the panni and you just pay for the rest. My TT (the abdominoplasty) will cost me 9580$ total for the doc, surgery center, and anesthesiologist. She quoted my 6 hours on the surgery as it is going to be extensive. Her concern to was nutritional quality which is why I have been eating more variety of foods and lot more fruit, veggies and carbs.

As for the food thing...I know I need to relax, but it just doesn't seem possible right now. Yesterday was just a very bizzare day. No exercise because Tuesdays are rest days and I have to take rest days seriously or I could do damage by over working the muscles, I sat on my butt ALL day in meetings, and I was starving the whole day. Today I didn't wake up hungry. Yesterday I literally was hungry ALL DAY. But I guess now I am really going to have to listen to my body. You are all right...I can't expect to eat 1500 calories a day and be running 12-40 miles (at peak) a week. I kind of wish that I had a body bugg to gauge how much food I needed. Right now it is all guess and check and that isn't my style. Then I did the dumbest thing of all...I stepped on the scale this morning. Up 2 pounds...Now it doesn't count becuase it is not weigh in day and there is no way that it can be fat. Afterall I haven't consumed 7000 calories total in 3 days, let alone 7000 ADDITIONAL calories. It is most likely Water weight as I have been very bloated and gassy from all the carbs I have been eating. You see I am not kidding when I say that my body doesn't like carbs.

Well I have to get back to my test grading. Thanks again for putting up with my whining yesterday. I was freaking out, but I am slightly better today. Still think that I have to eat a heck of a lot of food though.

Oh and I am eating 2.5 to 3 cups of food at a sitting. So seriously 3 times what I was eating while filled (at a normal level...not ultra tight level). However, it probably is about what a "normal" non-overweight/foodaholic would eat. I am not heaping my plate to any nonbanded person's standard, but it still seems like a HUGE amount of food to me. Just imagine tripling the amount of food that you normally eat! It really isn't as easy as it sounds. This is all a head game and I am losing right now. However I will figure it out and be just fine. I have all of you and soon DH will be home in the evenings which is my hardest time.

Check back later.

When I read Ruby's post I was thinking, Hell No I wouldn't take those pills, just say I did, and nope they didn't work.

That did cross my mind. But I went to see her on a day where the rash was driving me insane. MOST of the time it's just annoying. But once in a while there are days where I want to scratch and scratch and scratch it till it bleeds. Then scratch it some more. :tt2:

There's one cream that I have here that I tried when looking for something to clear it up that makes things a lot worse. And I'm prepared to use it if need be to get the rash started again just for another visit, then clear it up. Then start it again. So I have a couple of options. But I just hate those insane itchy days and that's what stops me a lot of the time. Guess I'll have to suck it up if it means that much to me. :thumbup: