Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Hey gang!

Come out, come out, wherever you are!!!

Chim I am still asleep at 4:14 a.m. :lol: I don't get up til 5 a.m and that's 8 your time :thumbup:

YEA!!! We are up an running... :tt2::thumbup::frown::thumbup::frown:

Well, how is everyone this mornng - I got to work a little early cuz i have to go get my teeth cleaned @ 8:15 - and as usual the first place I come is here once I get signed it - OMW we have like 2 diff sign ons and it takes forever to get going in the mornings - well not really but you know we all want instant gratification now a days.

Karri - I have been a little tight too lately - it's so funny sometimes I feel like I am loosing up and then the next time I eat - I am tight... I only got about 635 calories yesterday and not enought Protein - so I am drinking one of my clear Protein Drinks this morning and will make sure I eat more...

Chim - I really do love having a trainer - mine is a guy - x-body builder not bad on the eyes either :eek:

omw I guess with the lbs coming off I am looking at men more - when I said I have sworn off of them. Well I guess I was just in denial - cuz I was fat no one would be interested and now that I am not as fat (don't know if I will ever consider myself a skinny chick) my eyes are cking out the guys.. But again - I don't know if I want all the drama in my life - that comes with relationships.. Well lets say I am not shutting that door forever - Karri does your DF have an older brother - Oh I guess I should say an available father or uncle. I forget your age at times :eek: I am old enought to by your mom not sis :eek:

Linda - how is your band when you fly? Denise (athinerdenise) says that hers tighten up for about 2 days???

Ok well I got do some work before I leave in about 15 minutes - so I will ck back when I get back..

Good morning all! I am back testing yet again. I don't know why it is MY classes that get put on the burner. They don't tests history or business or art or band, but math gets put on hold so that I can administer. Maybe they think I just dodn't do anything anyways so why shouldn't I get sosmething done? GRRRRRRR. I think I'm a little ugly today. I will explain that in a bit.

Got on the scale this morning and it still looks like a downward trend. Not a ton but enough that I was satisfied. I need to get a digital so that I can really keep an eye on the numbers instead of just guessing. But on my scale I broke the 170 barrier. I know that the dr. scale is at least 6 pounds heavier than that so I'm not getting too excited....as well as the impending visit from TOM. But if I can lose another couple of pounds in the next week I'll be satisfied. I will have lost from last appointment even though then I was completely dehydrated as well as them taking 1cc out. I think that is a major victory.

I went to my PCP yesterday to talk about my meds and how I've been feeling and I mentioned that I was frustrated because I didn't seem able to get sad or angry when appropriate and that I wasn't feeling truly happy ever either. She suggested cutting the dose of the meds in half but after further discussion we decided to hold here for another couple of weeks to see if it levels out any. Then last night I went home and sat down with dh and had a long talk about a lot of emotional things and just bawled like a baby. And then got frustrated with my kids. So, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad one. I'm going to ride it out through the weekend and then call PCP to see what she suggests. I feel like I just went to my mechanic and said my car was making a ka-ching ka-ching noise and he looked at it and it didn't do it...and then I went home ka-ching-ing the entire way! Frustrating.

Last night dh and I decided that it is best for me to take at least a year, if not 5, off from teaching. While my kids are so crazy and my little one is a baby, I need to be mom all the time, not just when I'm not needed at school. I've been trying to come to a decision about it for about a month but couldn't commit to either way. Last night, I made the commitment...hence the boo hooing. Boss is gone today so I'm not able to talk to him about it. I will set up a meeting tomorrow. I'm going to be a raving lunatic tomorrow obviously!

I've also caught a cold. Yesterday it was just a runny nose and I figured allergy season was approaching but today it is exhaustion, sore throat, itchy eyes, AND a head the size of Montana. so.....cold. Just what I DON"T need right now. The only thing that could make this any more frustrating would be for TOM to visit a week or so early and show up today or tomorrow. I probably just jinxed myself!!!

Glad the site is up and running again. I was lost yesterday without it. I really wanted to talk to you all yesterday. I have more to say but this is crazy long enough for now...and I've got two more hours of testing so I can post it more later. Pacing myself might make the time go by quicker!!!!

Have a great day all!!!!

Steph, You can always go back into teaching, but you can NEVER have your babies back. Not that there aren't joys in them growing up, but sometimes I do get sad thinking of some of the things I missed because I had to work when they were little. I guess everyone's different, but that is how I feel.

Speaking of my kids growing up, DS and DIL came over last night with new pics of their baby. Has anyone else seen a 3-dimentional sonogram yet? It is truly amazing! AND they told us that ITS A GIRL! So that was pretty exciting. They were sooooo happy. Now I have to resist the urge to go shopping (for awhile).

Janet--I didn't notice any increased tightening with flying. But I have noticed that when I get a cold it seems to tighten up.

I'm home today. This morning when I woke up I had a terrible headache, felt feverish, and every single muscle in my body ached. I took some Tylenol, and just now showered and got dressed. I still feel awful--achy and really tired--absolutely no appetite. I wonder what's up? With all the snow days we had this winter, I can't afford to cancel any more classes--I'm getting nervous as to how I'm going to get everything done in the next 6 weeks.

Well, this is long enough at the computer. As Janet says, "ck back later"

Hey Gang back from the dentist - I did pretty good for not having my teeth cleaned in over 5 yrs :confused: Gums are good.. :)

Steph - Enjoy your time off with your kids while they are young - I have worked since I was 17 (well back to school & worked in the afternoons) I did have about the 1st yr & half at home with my son.

Congrats on breaking the 170s :wink_smile: My doc scales is about 4 lbs heavier but I don't go by his weight I go by my scale.< /p>

Linda - Congrats on the little grandaughter to be - they are such joys...

Ok I gotta get some work done ck ya all later..

Okay...back.....damned tests!!!

Phyll -- travel safe. I hope all is going wonderfully and you stay out of the wind.

Karri -- You sound a little more in control of your teaching emotions lately. I hope the kids are behaving. It's spring and I know how crazy that can get. Spring break can come at a better time in my opinion. I hope you got to sleep in a bit. You spend so much time at that school sometimes I think you're crazy to go home at all :wink_smile:) I'm sorry you are still feeling too tight. I can't describe how much happier I am now that I'm not daily "cudding up". I hope it loosens for you soon.

Janet -- can I tag along in your purse to Trace?? I am in love. That voice, that tall, that skinny.....twitterpation at it's finest!! I hate "The Apprentice" but watched it all season so I could see Trace. I was crushed he didn't win. The choice was obvious and I understood it, but still disappointed. I've even shared with dh that if Trace came a knockin, it would be over! heheheee. If nothing else, I hope you bring pictures to M of Amer.

Speaking of that trip, did we decide on a place to stay? I need to call and make a reservation. I think DH might come with me but promises to stay out of my way while shopping. I am trying to talk to him about his weight issues and maybe this will be a good time for him to see that there can be success at large!

Well....7 more minutes and I'm done testing for today! Will talk to you all later.

Janet -- can I tag along in your purse to Trace?? I am in love. That voice, that tall, that skinny.....twitterpation at it's finest!! I hate "The Apprentice" but watched it all season so I could see Trace. I was crushed he didn't win. The choice was obvious and I understood it, but still disappointed. I've even shared with dh that if Trace came a knockin, it would be over! heheheee. If nothing else, I hope you bring pictures to M of Amer.

Speaking of that trip, did we decide on a place to stay? I need to call and make a reservation. I think DH might come with me but promises to stay out of my way while shopping. I am trying to talk to him about his weight issues and maybe this will be a good time for him to see that there can be success at large!

Well....7 more minutes and I'm done testing for today! Will talk to you all later.

Steph.

I didn't even know who Trace was prior to the apprentice - but OMW that is one big hunk of a man and i just am in lust with him... Ya you can come:)

I think the homewood suite - it's right across the street - I think chim has already rsvp her room - I gotta go back a few pages and double ck - I guess I need to rsvp to and book flight soon...

Steph, You can always go back into teaching, but you can NEVER have your babies back. Not that there aren't joys in them growing up, but sometimes I do get sad thinking of some of the things I missed because I had to work when they were little. I guess everyone's different, but that is how I feel.

Linda- You are so right about not getting your babies back. My daughter is a junior in high school and is setting up college visits already. We talked alast night about the one that she is most interested in. It is 3 hours away and I am feeling the empty nest already. I have always worked since my kids were little. For about 4 and 1/2 years I had to work 2 and 3 jobs because their father had problems with ulcers on his feet and infection in his feet from diabetis so I had to earn the money. I think back now and I missed so much. I only I knew then what I know now. I would have given up some of those 'extras' for them and been there more. :thumbup:

Speaking of my kids growing up, DS and DIL came over last night with new pics of their baby. Has anyone else seen a 3-dimentional sonogram yet? It is truly amazing! AND they told us that ITS A GIRL! So that was pretty exciting. They were sooooo happy. Now I have to resist the urge to go shopping (for awhile).

CONGRATS ON THE LITTLE GIRL!!!!!!!!!! They are soooo fun!!

Got on the scale this morning and it still looks like a downward trend. Not a ton but enough that I was satisfied. I need to get a digital so that I can really keep an eye on the numbers instead of just guessing. But on my scale I broke the 170 barrier. I know that the dr. scale is at least 6 pounds heavier than that so I'm not getting too excited....as well as the impending visit from TOM. But if I can lose another couple of pounds in the next week I'll be satisfied. I will have lost from last appointment even though then I was completely dehydrated as well as them taking 1cc out. I think that is a major victory.

Congrats on the 170!! I am envious of you. Your doing great. Hang in there!!

Last night dh and I decided that it is best for me to take at least a year, if not 5, off from teaching. While my kids are so crazy and my little one is a baby, I need to be mom all the time, not just when I'm not needed at school. I've been trying to come to a decision about it for about a month but couldn't commit to either way. Last night, I made the commitment...hence the boo hooing. Boss is gone today so I'm not able to talk to him about it. I will set up a meeting tomorrow. I'm going to be a raving lunatic tomorrow obviously!

Congrats for making the decision to be at home. Your children may not get it right now how much they want you there but they will when they get older. Of course I mean old enough to be on their own and looking back not a teenager. HAHA:lol:

I think the homewood suite - it's right across the street - I think chim has already rsvp her room - I gotta go back a few pages and double ck - I guess I need to rsvp to and book flight soon...

Janet- DH is maybe thinking of coming with me also so I may not be sharing a room. :) I am not sure about him comming though and like I said before I have no clue yet whether we will even be here or in Missouri but if we are here I will definately be there!!! :confused: I am actually trying to get a hold of the school to find out the drivers ed schedule so that I can set up our vacation this summer. I will let you all know as soon as I find out.

So far I have gained no weight from my birthday splurge. :thumbup: I have actually lost 2 lbs.

Chim congrats on the trainer. I need to get me one!!!:wink_smile:

Steph - I think that you are making a wise decision. Coming from a fellow teacher (whose kids do get tested!) I know the stress that just comes from the job. You have little ones at home that need YOU. Your students just need a math teacher. I know that sounds really hard, but almost anyone with a math license can do your job at school, only YOU can do the job at home. I knew that no matter what career I was in, it would be the major focus of my life so that was a leading factor in my decision to not have the little rugrats. Besides, I really don't like little kids. I am sure yours are great! Having dated someone that is bipolar it is important that they have a good family structure and being there for him will be important for both you and your son. If you are feeling torn between home and work, you are not being the best at either. Good job on the 170s.

Linda - When my best friend got pg right after high school we didn't know what it was going to be because she didn't know she had to ask at the ultrasound appt. However, we desperately wanted her to have a little girl so we had her baby shower and everything that we bought done in pink and purple, hoping we could wish the baby a girl. She figured that if it turned out to be a boy she could take everything back and just say that she had been told it was going to be a girl if the kid asked about the shower pictures. Well it turns out that all of our wishing had a happy ending and she did have a girl. Girls really are a lot of fun to shop for!

Steph - Yep, back to you. Just going down the list and replying. Teaching is going a little better. I have my moments. We are at the beginning of a new trimester so things are always a little easier then. I just had the kids turns stuff in so now I have my first pile of grading to do. That always makes life crappy, but I am going to take it home and do it tonight while I watch my DVR of biggest loser. I don't have to worry about not getting time to spend with DF anymore since he is at work.

Jackie - Sometimes shocking your system with all the extra calories makes it realize that it doesn't have to hold onto to the fat so tight and you acutally lose pounds. Cycling the calories is a good way to keep your body guessing and as long as most of the time we keep them low, we are good to go.

Janet - Glad to hear that the dentist went well. When I finally got insurance from my first teaching job in Vegas I went and had my teeth cleaned for the first time in 10 years. YIKES! My gums were not so good and they did root planing. OMG HOLY COW that hurt. They actually flossed my teeth with wire! They had to numb me to do it and then put me on pain killers for the next few days. I thought I was going to die. I honestly think it hurt worse that the LB surgery!

Edited by salsa1877

So I wrote this post on the August board that I post on too, and I thought I would share it here. Most of us seem to be doing alright with the little food demons, but I figured that it never hurts to get a little tough love message every once in a while. Besides, I know that we get a lot of visitors here and if anyone can make it through this entire post they might get some very valuable information. This was posted to a specific response, and I tried to edit out the details but some if it might seem really specific and it is, because it was addressing a particular episode. But I think you will get a good understanding anyways.

Okay...here goes the tough love. And this will be a long post!

Nope the brownies were not a good choice, but you ate them and now you need to move on and NOT do it again. You can't change what you have done but you can make better choices in the future. So the question is HOW IN THE WORLD DO I DO THAT? Well I will tell you that the answer is NOT going to come to you when you have a "brownie" (will now stand for anything that is not healthy for us for the remainder of this conversation) staring at you in the face. You have to have the tools and the mindset BEFORE that temptation ever comes up. We have to be ready to turn around at any particular moment and have a piece of brownie shoved in our face and realize that we are stronger than the calories, fat, sugar and peice of inanimate object that we are looking at. It gets harder as we have lost the weight and become a little more comfortable with our bodies. At first we were hell bent on getting losing, losing, losing. Well the newness has worn off and now we are just stuck with the realization that we will always have to fight the "brownies".

Alright I am all about being practical so here are some suggestions that I have.

1. Take a piece of paper (one that you can fold up into your wallet/purse/pocket ) and divide it into sections. You may have to write down everything and then rewrite it to get it to all fit.

a. Write down all the reasons that you had MAJOR, LIFE THREATENING SURGERY. Not the reasons that you wanted to just lose weight, but what caused you to make this drastic change in your life.

b. Write down where you think you would be health wise in 10 years. What disesases, illness would you have? What meds would you be on. Look at your family for "inspiration". For me my mom died at 53 weighing 350+ pounds and had heart disease, diabetes, sleep apnea and a whole host of other disorders. Within 10 years, I was going to be there.

c. Write down why you are more powerful than a brownie (this one is tough!)

d. Find some typical foods that you would love to eat (your brownies) and look up the calories and then find out how much time you would have to spend working them off in the gym.

e. Write down what about you makes you important enough to overcome your demons.

f. Now you are going to want to fit all of this on a piece of paper in bullet form so when you are faced with you brownies you can look at it and allow you to mentally fight the war that has just come up. If you can justify eating that brownie after looking at your paper, then eat it, but have no regrets, and do not dwell on it. Instead you have faced the problem UP FRONT and not looked back on it.

2. Another possible tactic. I know that you are having a tough time getting your calories down. One thing that I have found that helps me is by eating the same foods that I like but with some simple substitutions and by finding ways to remove some unneccessary ingredients. For example. I make this dessert that had 1/2 cup of frozen berries, 2 TBSP of Cream cheese and 1/2 cup of granola. The cream cheese had 60 calories and I thought..."I wonder how this would taste if I didn't put the cream cheese in it". I tried it and guess what, I couldn't even tell that it was missing. Same thing with meatloaf. Instead of eating it with ground beef now I substitute grond chicken. As long as I keep all of my veggies and other healthy fillers in, I can't tell the difference. I really learned this from Subway. I found that if I went in and ordered a foot long sandwich (obviously pre-band) and got all this deli meat and cheese and then pilled it with my favorite veggies that I all I could really taste were the veggies anyways. So first I got rid of the meat and then the cheese, and the taste of the sandwich hardly varied at all. This is what I do all the time now. I will always fix something first and then think what can I do to lower or eliminate the calories without harming the integretity of the dish.

3. This is the one that everyone is going to hate. WE JUST HAVE TO HAVE WILL POWER SOMETIMES. Yep the age ol' dieting nightmare. Our will power will not always be perfect, but we have to be able to stand up to ourselves and tell ourselves no. Before this surgery I couldn't tell anyone NO, including myself. So when my stupid head told me that I needed to go to Carl's Jr and get 2 big hamburgers and eat them in the 4 minutes it took me to get home so that I could look famished for dinner that was going to be served in 30 minutes...I never said no. NOW, I am comfortable saying no. It has helped me professionally, personally, and mentally. I thought that everyone would hate me if I said no, but now they no longer just expect things out of me. And I don't just give in to all of my brain's wishes. That is making me a better person.

4. Talk about your surgery. I have to honestly say that one of the greatest factors to my success is the fact that I have been open and honest about the surgery. I don't care what other people think about me. Go to 1A of this email and that should show you why there is nothing to be ashamed of. The more you talk about the struggles and successes of your surgery the less likely people are to shove food at you. We have one lady in our science department that brings in treats every week. After the 2nd week of school I told her about my surgery and not ONCE has she come in and offered me the food. She told me, if you ever want it, you may have some, but I don't want to push something on you that you obviously don't want. Yesterday at the staff meeting, the administration gave little food baskets to everyone for all there hard work during scheduling. However instead of a food basket I got a nice card signed by all the administrators, because the know that a food basket is pointless to me. I don't feel singled out, I feel very blessed that these people care enough about me to know what I need. Some people can't make these connections on their own and they need you to school them. You need to POINT BLANK tell your family member/friend, I love to visit you but for me, I CAN'T have this food here. Tell them that they are really putting a barrier between the two of you if they are constantly is serving you this food. Iknow this is tough, but I had to do it with my dad, my BF, and my brother. I asked them if they would offer a beer to a recovering alcholoic. All of them said no, and then I said then why in the hell would you offer me a cookie!

Wow I knew this would be long, but I had no idea how long. If there is any advice in here you don't like. Think about why you don't like it. Is it because it is hard...well guess what CHANGING is hard, but maybe just try part of it. If you don't like it because it goes against all of your moral beliefs, then ignore it. I will never know and it will not hurt my feelings. Even if you came back and said "Salsa you are full of crap and are an idiot" I would think " her loss!" and keep on lovin' ya. This is what friends are for. We have to be here during the good times and the bad. We have to be able to look (or type) at the other person and say "stop being an idiot" If we don't do that as friends, really we are no better than an enemy.

Good luck.

On the DH issue in July - Phyl's Dh is comming so if Step & Jackies come the guys can hang out together. We should get them talking now so they will know each other :lol:

Excellent dissertation Karri !!!!

I love the will power reference - yes damn it we need will power even with the band - We are not that friggin weak we really aren't - we don't give ourselves enough credit.

On some other thread - I posted that I kept a food diary counted calories and pt grms - got response I refuse to diet - I don't do those things !!

My reply - was I wasn't dieting I was eating healthy and the reason for the food log, and counting was that for me it was a learning tool - cuz as a fat person I didn't know what a portion size was - to me a portion was that foot long sandwich not 1/4 of that sandwich - so I needed to count calories weigh and measure food until I learn what a correct portion was and hell I never knew that there was 7 grms of pt in every ounce of meat and if you don't count how are you going to know if you are getting enough Protein? ?

Ok I gotta get back to work - ttyl :unsure::tongue:

On the DH issue in July - Phyl's Dh is comming so if Step & Jackies come the guys can hang out together. We should get them talking now so they will know each other :lol:

Oh, wow! It would be great if some other guys come. I've been worrying about that

... like how to escape!!

:tt2::thumbup::eek:

Excellent dissertation Karri !!!!

I love the will power reference - yes damn it we need will power even with the band - We are not that friggin weak we really aren't - we don't give ourselves enough credit.

On some other thread - I posted that I kept a food diary counted calories and pt grms - got response I refuse to diet - I don't do those things !!

My reply - was I wasn't dieting I was eating healthy and the reason for the food log, and counting was that for me it was a learning tool - cuz as a fat person I didn't know what a portion size was - to me a portion was that foot long sandwich not 1/4 of that sandwich - so I needed to count calories weigh and measure food until I learn what a correct portion was and hell I never knew that there was 7 grms of pt in every ounce of meat and if you don't count how are you going to know if you are getting enough Protein? ?

Ok I gotta get back to work - ttyl :unsure::tongue:

Just arrived at our son's in Mountain View. I was about to post this morning when I got kicked offline.

. I think because DH had plugged in my GPS!

Have a safe trip home Phyl, don't be too much of a back seat driver for your hubby LOL

Is he good on the road or does he get 'crabby' while he drives? My DH is fine as long as I don't ask to stop and pee, or see a historical site along the way... He is a point A to Point B driver...

My tummy is still tender, I put on a girdle today, may give me more support... I only took 1 pain pill yesterday, and I think I may take another before I head off to work.

I went grocery shopping this a.m. picked up a box of frozen chicken and though Augh!!! not smart incision really pulling. :unsure: But that's a good thing as i am sure its a sign of healing...

When can I go for my first fill???? Do I have to wait for all bruising to subside???

Sounds like you're recovery is going fairly well. Glad you're out and about, but better not overdo!!

I'm not the backseat driver.

.. I AM THE CO-PILOT!!

First thing in the morning DH sets up my command and control center on the dashboard! My laptop is there, GPS plugs in to USB port and I navigate using MS Streets & Trips! The only squabbles we have come when he wants me to look at a

PAPER MAP!!

Gimmee a break!! I'm a techy grandma and I HATE paper maps! By the time I find the right page in the Atlas, I've taken my eyes off the road for so long that if we were about to make a wrong turn, it's too late! And the print is too small to see anyway!! With my laptop, I can zoom in so close I can see where the ATMs are!! For real!! I do a good job of keeping DH informed of where we are and how far to the next turn, exit, or whatever! And when we get lost, he gets to blame it on me!! Which he would do anyway, so I may as well take the heat voluntarily!

Steph.

I didn't even know who Trace was prior to the apprentice - but OMW that is one big hunk of a man and i just am in lust with him... Ya you can come:)

Speaking of rooms, Lindaa have you booked a hotel room yet ? Are we still rooming together???? What was the price we settled on?

Weird day today, I called my Lapband clinic to see if I could get my first fill. The sec. checked witht eh OR nurse the fill nurse was on the phone, and she said sure come at 1:45 so its a 2 1/2 hour drive to Toronto from where I live. But it was a nice day so I was excited!!!

I get to the clinic and the fill nurse comes out into the waitng room. Oh, I can't fill you, you have to wait 2 wks from Surg. date.... if I give yu a fill today you could have band slipage and I won't be held responsible... I freaked!!!! So now 5 hours later in the car and a bag of peanut M & M's later... I am anesthetized... sh!t.

Phyl--you are just too much. I am so glad you are part of our group! I can't wait to meet you and DH in MN this summer.

Karri--great post! I'm going to copy it and send to my sister who is getting her band next week. I'm worried about her. I think she's thinking this is going to be easy.

Steph--I hope to be where you are by the end of the month! The 160's seem so much better than the 170's! I actually made an appointment for a PS consult for the end of the month. I'm hoping to get rid of my belly this summer, so I figured now's the time to get the ball rolling.

I think I'm back among the living tonight. Have no idea what the heck that was this morning, but we don't need to do THAT again!