Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Hi Everyone,

I've been MIA for awhile... and they changed the look of the site!!! Not sure if I like the new look yet. Hmmm.

Anyways, as many of you know, my Dad has been battling cancer, and on early Friday morning he lost the battle. He developed an aggressive infection in his lung, which spread too fast to drain. So from diagnosis to death was a very short 2 months... not near enough time.

I am glad it happend before he suffered too much, but can't say I'm glad it happened this quickly.

The visitation and funeral were exactly what he wanted... all of his family came and reconnected, from Hawaii to the great North. All to Celebrate his life and his passing and going home to his Lord Jesus.

We just got back home from being in Ft. Wayne since Thursday, so I'm very tired and emotionally drained. I hope everyone is doing well.

Kathy- I am soooooo sorry to hear of your dad passing. You and your family are in my prayers. Keep visiting and let us know how you are doing. Take care!

Janet,

I'm used to being bombarded with medical questions when ppl find out. I don't usually advertise because I don't want to come across as preachy or know-it-all. I am actually impressed with everyones' immense knowledge surrounding this surgery. It shows a high degree of research has gone into this thing before decisions were made. &s for your leg pain, it could be caused by exercise (growing pains), too little potassium if it is cramps, or ummm...(whispers) age. Ok, bedtime. Nitty-Night all.

Katrina - You are not preachy or know-it all at all - and Yes I bet you do get bugged with alot of questions - I know I bug my DIL as she is a RN too.. It's probly that age thing I just don't think of myself as old esepcially now with my weight loss.. Before I blamed it on my weight - now - I guess i will just have to accept the age thingie:frown: I promise no more bugging - (well unless it's an emergency and turly I would be calling the doc asap)

Weigh in today... depressing... 6/10 of a lb last week, only 2/10 lb this week! Think I will call Janet's doc and see if I can get a fill. Was going to wait until we get home in April, but not a good idea. Can't stand this slow agonizing pace!! 2.8 lb so far this whole month!! And it's making me grumpy!

Supposed to go to Quartzsite tomorrow and check out the big RV show, swap meets, etc. but it's so cold and miserable and now it's raining. Wonder if it's raining over there, too.

Neighbor's network has been down for two days so I just got back online late this afternoon! Another thing to be grumpy about! He has me on his network, so when he goes down, I'm out of commission, too! They're only allowed so many MB per day and when it's exceeded they get cut off. Last time it was my fault, this time they did it! At any rate, I MISSED my bandster buddies!!!

Phy - I was worried about you cuz you are here just as much as me :frown:

How funny that you posted this - last night as I was going to sleep - I was thinking about you - and thought - Oh Phyl hasn't mentioned about her restriction (guess I was thinking this cuz I got filled yesterday) and wondered how it was doing.. It can't hurt to call cuz it would be cheaper than flying home - tell Kristin you know me and dr bobbie too (wright's the last name) - but I gotta tell you - you may want to add a few more calories - I sort of ate on Tuesday nite (burritos 2 with extra cheese) cuz i knew i was going in for the fill the next day and would be on soup/liquids for a while - guess what - scale was down 3.5 this morning and ya yesterday didn't eat much at at - 1 pt drink - pinto bean Soup - sf fudgecicle - but that's not going to make for the calorie the day before - I agree with Marcy (at least for me and we are all diff) that you should have at least 1 day a week where you have more calories - 1300 to 1400 it may help your metabolism..

So Anyways....if you are interested the website is

MyDietShopz.com for e-Z Weight Loss, e-Z Shopping, and e-Z Prices

and I like it. There are also a bunch of products aspartame free (the proticcino is) for those who have problems with that. I have another cinnamon cocoa to try, their oatmeal, and tropical banana drink. I just thought someone might be interested.

Now...thanks to tivo...I'm off to watch Big Medicine!

Steph

Thanks for the website - My doc sell stuff too but they have a pretty good mark up - the only problem is i can't find the proti15 clear on line - can find the Soups - haven't tried it yet i got some cream of chick yesterday will have for lunch today - I will ck this site out - Thanks - Let me know about the banana -

Good Morning Gang - I see everyone gets on after I get off - I am going to get a complex :)

Karri - where are you - you are mia too much school work?? I wouldn't what a job that I had to do on my own time all the time - I understand every now and then but omg - you work 24/7 - Teachers are under appreciated

Well gang - I guess I know what restriction is - usually i have 1 to 2 cups coffee in the morning never been a problem - well this morning only could drink 1 and now sipping on a mocha protien drink they gave me yesterday - cuz I know that I'm going to have a hard time getting all my Protein in cuz I am getting full very fast. It took me a while to eat my 1/2 cup of soup last night - I don't know if I like being this tight - I will give it a couple of days and if it does loosen up - we go back an get a little taken out.

Well, I better get to work - I will ck back later ...

GOOD AFTERNOON LADIES.............. I am just checking in today as I don't really have anything to say. Don't want to be MIA.

Kathy - Sorry to hear about your dad. Even though I know you miss him, take comfort in the fact that he isn't suffering anymore.

Janet- you are messing me up here. I am the Kari with one R. Teacher Karri has two R's.

ENJOY YOUR DAY. I'LL TRY TO CHECK IN LATER.

GOOD AFTERNOON LADIES.............. I am just checking in today as I don't really have anything to say. Don't want to be MIA.

Kathy - Sorry to hear about your dad. Even though I know you miss him, take comfort in the fact that he isn't suffering anymore.

Janet- you are messing me up here. I am the Kari with one R. Teacher Karri has two R's.

ENJOY YOUR DAY. I'LL TRY TO CHECK IN LATER.

Well you know me can't type or spell with worth poop - sorry about that - you guy are so close in your names :rolleyes2:

you are right, I have been MIA. I am soooo busy with school work. Being gone for the weekend to get the unfill totally destroyed my work time. Now my car is acting up. GRRRRR. I must have dropped a fair amount of size lately because I have gotten a ton of compliments at work. Most people know about the surgery, but some didn't. I have been doing ok when it comes to food. By dinner I can eat anything, but I am still tight in the mornings until about 3. Today has been horrible with food. I seriously have only eat 1 Protein Bar for a total of 140 calories. Yesterday I THINK I got to 800, but I worked off 450 at the gym. The scale is down to 178.5 but I haven't had time to change my ticker...or at least I don't think I have changed it. Janet age isn't the only thing that makes your memory go MIA. I have been really tired lately and I think it is because I am always on the run. I have been faithfully going to the gym every morning and for at least an hour after work and this is taking a chunk of time out of my schedule that I don't actually have. When I go home, I try to just spend it with my BF especially now. His work hours just got changed and he will start working 2:00pm to 10:00 pm Sunday - Thursday beginning the end of Feb. That is soooooooo terrible for us. I will not see him Monday-Thurs. More time for me too work on school work I guess. Well the lunch bell just rang and I need to get tests graded. See it is a never ending battle.

Quick question. I suffer from migranes. I have never taken anything stronger than excedrin for them. Tylenol doesn't touch them. I did buy some children's motrin so that next time I had something that maybe might help a bit. If I can't have that, do you have any suggestions? I know...ask my dr. (and I will next time I'm in) but do you think once every couple of months will cause a problem? I only get them when I am reallys stressed out or my syatic nerve is pinching (like today). I'm wondering about an IMHO is all...

I am definately going to refer you to your MD. I too suffer from Migraines and I take Midrin for it. They are few and far between and Midrin is a Migraine specific pill, and not a NSAID which don't work well on real migraines. Your headaches may very well be coming from your back problems which is another reason to talk to your MD.

KathyB-Great to see you back but so sorry to hear about your dad. I know what it feels like to loose someone you love so quickly. My heart goes out to you as my prayers for you go up.

With all the talk about Protein powders I have been meaning to ask if anyone has tried the Gladiator powder from smoothie King. This is one of my favorite places to "eat", even before this surgery. I crave the Protein Shakes they have and I use the powder to make my own very yummy protein shakes. They are so good. Taste just like a chocolate milkshake. And 45 grams of protein per shake. Totally awsome...

I am definately going to refer you to your MD. I too suffer from Migraines and I take Midrin for it. They are few and far between and Midrin is a Migraine specific pill, and not a NSAID which don't work well on real migraines. Your headaches may very well be coming from your back problems which is another reason to talk to your MD.

My headaches are usually long and dull when my back is bothering me. It starts in my low back and just works its way up until I can't even turn my head. That is where I was the last few days waiting for the chiropractor to get back to town. He comes to town twice a week. I wouldn't classify them as migranes but they occasionally become migranes. When I put myself under intense stress or am in a very uncomfortable position (large group of strangers for example) my migranes show. They hit hard and fast and normally I'm in the bathroom between shower and floor hoping they will work themselves gone. It is the aftermath that I use the excedrin for. Because they have never been frequent I haven't talked to my dr. about them. I will next time I'm in though....one of the biggest reasons is the nausea that comes with them and the "rememdy" is never pretty.

Thanks for the note, I will talk to dr. next time and stay away from motrin for now.

As for Protein powders, I haven't tried any but those I mentioned. I did go to a smoothie place in the mall around Christmas and they added protein to my smoothie, but since I am 5 hours from the nearest mall, that's not going to happen very often. I'll remember it though for when I do get to a smoothie place.

Went to the back cracker. Everything was so tight it wouldn't even pop! He did stretch and straighten things but I need to go back next week. My headache is gone though and I can nod and roll my eyes without pain!!! Can you imagine how hard it is teaching teenager when you can't roll your eyes without pain??? Now if THEY couldn't roll their eyes life would be good! My kids are so great though, they have been awesome! I know Karri is struggling some days, and I do too, but the kids make it SOOOOOO worth all the aggrivation. Karri--come visit. You'ld love it!

Well...off to walk my mile! Hubby even said he'd try it with me tonight. Life is so good!

I'll chk back later!

Brandy, you mentioned Slim Fast shakes for Breakfast. Do they keep you full? I'm just wondering since they are liquid and liquids going through the band.

What was your starting weight and how old are you if you don't mind answering.

Yes, the shakes do make you feel full! I really, really like them! My starting weight was 209.5 and I'm down to 151.5. I'm 48! My highest weight ever was 246.

Kathy, So sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my Mom to cancer and it is very, very hard to watch the decline.

Phyl, Your pics were great! Keep up the good work. It does get slow at times, but any weight loss each week is great!

All, I've been out of town so hadn't checked in for awhile. Took quite a bit of time this evening to catch back up.

To whomever asked the questions originally, I've been heavy since my teen years. Was 131 age 14-15, I believe. Lost some weight in high school, but don't think I got below 131 at that time. Lost down to about 121 while in college, but then regained it. Worked at Burger King for about five years through senior year of HS and college. Then, got up to 195 to 200, when I first got out on my own. Gained up to 246 when I moved to Florida and was on my own. Like someone mentioned, I would leave work and go through a drive thru restaurant to get fast food for dinner. Like an old friend, since I didn't know anyone in town, except my new co-workers.

Lost 78 pounds on my own in 1987. Then regained up to 210 or so. Then went on Phen-Fen and lost down to 130ish. Don't know how, but ended up regaining up to 226 when I went off the pills. Then lost down to 195 and back up to 210 and then down to 175 and back up to 210. Over and over and over again.

Then, although not morbidly obese, found a doctor who would do the surgery on me. Started pre-op diet at 209.5 and am now down to 151.5. Dr has been very impressed with my results. He thought I could get to 148.5 in a year. I hope to get to 125-130.

Oh, as to fills. I've only had two and the last one was in September. I declined one in December and still don't feel that I need one. I can eat most anything I want to, but am restricted and will easily start hurting if I eat too fast or don't chew properly. Don't know that I will ever need another fill.

I exercise regularly. Weight loss has slowed down, but is still progressing!

Good Morning Gang

Well Phyl must have gone to Quartzite (sp) - it's a little town in the middle of the Desert a lot of people go every yr - the have like a big swap meet,...

Karri - I am feeling you on being tight - I pb's on a fudgecicle last nite. I was able to get in about a cup of she crab Soup - but very slowly - the diff between me and you is I do get hungry - I most likely got 500 calorie & 57 pt

I am going to give it the weekend and see how I do - If I am not better by Monday will call to get some taken out.

Kari - How’s the biking & craving food going...? If I go back to the doc's next week I will ask them to copy the articles I scanned. I may even subscribe to the magazine - it's all about bariatic's - both bypass and band - but regardless of method we all have the same issues with food.

Steph - I am sorry about your back and headaches - When we had our last summer Olympics - I got in my pool and tried to do all the stroke (I did belong to swim club as kid won 3rd place in back stroke at 1 meet) well the butterfly threw my back out - I think that was my last time at the back doctor.. But have had siattic (sp) problems in the past so I feel your pain - Hugs.

Brandy how tall are you - My doc will do surgery I think if you are 75 lbs - but we have a new set of doc's who are plastic surgeons who are moving into the bariatic's movement - no insurance - no counseling - you go to seminar on Sunday and are scheduled for surgery by Friday - and in their own clinic not the hospital - I think I read that you only have to be 50 lbs over weight - They are going to give lapband a bad name imho - as they don't do the whole package - testing - counseling - nutritionist etc - we will see - they will end up being the Dr Adams (Kayne West Mom's PS who killed her by not doing all the pre op stuff etc) of lapband..

Katrina - since I am on liquids - I am drink my Protein - but I get sick of the sweet stuff - but I may have to look for that powder

Well gotta get to work - just wanted to drop in aand say Hi...

Talk to ya'll later

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NICOLE :redface:

Hope you have a great day !!!!!

Thanks Janet!! :redface: It truly means more than you know to have someone realize that!!

Sorry I haven't been on much. I have been reading a lot on here, just haven't had time to post. Things have been super busy around here. :) I'll give you all an update soon, I have some NSV's to report!!

~Nichole

Thanks Janet!! :redface: It truly means more than you know to have someone realize that!! ~Nichole

Yes I do baby girl - I came from a family where b-days were very important and always celebrated - it's your one day a year just for you - you shouldn't have to share it with anyone - like cooking dinner - it's your day - It's the one day a year that you should be honored for who you are - to be made to feel special cuz you are...

So if the family isn't acting like they should be - go out and do something just for you - Celebrate you....

xoxox

Janet