Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Hi Everyone,

I've been MIA for awhile... and they changed the look of the site!!! Not sure if I like the new look yet. Hmmm.

Anyways, as many of you know, my Dad has been battling cancer, and on early Friday morning he lost the battle. He developed an aggressive infection in his lung, which spread too fast to drain. So from diagnosis to death was a very short 2 months... not near enough time.

I am glad it happend before he suffered too much, but can't say I'm glad it happened this quickly.

The visitation and funeral were exactly what he wanted... all of his family came and reconnected, from Hawaii to the great North. All to Celebrate his life and his passing and going home to his Lord Jesus.

We just got back home from being in Ft. Wayne since Thursday, so I'm very tired and emotionally drained. I hope everyone is doing well.

Hi Everyone,

I've been MIA for awhile... and they changed the look of the site!!! Not sure if I like the new look yet. Hmmm.

Anyways, as many of you know, my Dad has been battling cancer, and on early Friday morning he lost the battle. He developed an aggressive infection in his lung, which spread too fast to drain. So from diagnosis to death was a very short 2 months... not near enough time.

I am glad it happend before he suffered too much, but can't say I'm glad it happened this quickly.

The visitation and funeral were exactly what he wanted... all of his family came and reconnected, from Hawaii to the great North. All to Celebrate his life and his passing and going home to his Lord Jesus.

We just got back home from being in Ft. Wayne since Thursday, so I'm very tired and emotionally drained. I hope everyone is doing well.

Kathy

I am so sorry for your loss. I wish I had the words to help you through this difficult time - I know how hard it is.

Please know that you and your family are in my prayers

I am happy that the services went as he would have want and that you had your family there to surround you with their love and comfort.

Rest and keep in touch when you catch your breath.. We are all here for you...

Prayers, Hugs & Love

Janet

Ok where is everyone !!!!!

I am making cream of pinto bean Soup - think i got it a little too spicy but it should be ok - I am hungry haven't had anything but a Protein Drink they gave me at the doctors office.. I even took the ham hock I use to cook with the Beans and chopped it up and put it in my magic bullet - the thing is still usefull since i have to go back to our original band diet after a fill.

I didn't go to they gym today - I know bad girl - but just needed to come home and relax.. My excuse ya'll want hear it......

Want to let my fill settle..... Hows that for an excuse :smile:

Ok I guess I will cruise the site and see who need my words of wisdom:tongue:

Will ck back later

Oh Kathy, I am so sorry. We are here for you--anythime you want to tell us a little more about him, or how you're feeling, we will listen.

Dear Kathy;

I am glad you posted. We've been worrying here.

My deepest sympathies in the loss of your beloved Father. I know he was very special to you and that you had a wonderful relationship. This will be what comforts you most.

(((hugs)))

Peaches

HI Janet;

I am seeing the surgeon on Feb 4th and I think we will agree on a Surg. date at that point. It seems like an eternity from now... I just have to sit tight and try not to eat the house.

No, I will not have to pay again ... it should all be covered. As the band is obviously faulty &/or damaged in some way. He dosn't want to repair it, but place a whole new band in there. But it means starting over with the 4 week post op diet and then the months of fills.... yuk.

I feel stalled, but I knew there were risks, complication rates (albeit low) I am just one of the rare statistics I guess LOL :smile:

HOpefully, after surg and recovery I may still make my ANNUAL July11th band date and be at my w/l goal by then.... (fingers crossed)

Peaches

Hey Guys :smile:

Bottom line, all NSAIDS could be detrimental to our bands d/t the fact that they can errode the lining of the stomach and that's all we need, something erroding from the inside with the possibility of the band erroding from the outside. That is a double whammy. So I personally will not take a chance on it, no matter what my doc would say about (he has never mentioned it and I have never asked but I do not need to ask).

Do you teachers on here ever feel like that? I know my sis is a English teacher and she constantly fights that urge...:smile:

Quick question. I suffer from migranes. I have never taken anything stronger than excedrin for them. Tylenol doesn't touch them. I did buy some children's motrin so that next time I had something that maybe might help a bit. If I can't have that, do you have any suggestions? I know...ask my dr. (and I will next time I'm in) but do you think once every couple of months will cause a problem? I only get them when I am reallys stressed out or my syatic nerve is pinching (like today). I'm wondering about an IMHO is all....

Kathy, we haven't met because I've joined this board from the decembers but I'm very sorry to hear about your father. I lost my dad a year and a half ago under about the same circumstances. 6 weeks from dianosis to funeral. I'm sure you are still spinning. Make sure you take care of yourself during this time. I didn't and pay for it every day.

Everyone else...I've been off board a lot more the last couple of days. It has seemed very strange, but I have been very busy with school and kids. My back is out again...as it always has done every couple of months. I go to the back cracker tomorrow and hopefully he will align everything and work out some of the kinks I have put in my neck. Semester exams were just too hard I guess. I think they are harder on the teachers in some ways than they are on the students. We care so much about them and the kids just take them.

On a positive note....I picked up "walk away the pounds" on dvd at Walmart a couple of weeks ago and I finally took the plunge and opened it up tonight. Honestly, I was going to sit and watch it to see if I liked it but felt guilty sitting there so went and changed and just dove on in. There are three workouts on the dvd. A 1 mile, 2 mile, and 3 mile. I made it through the 1 mile! Okay...honestly I had to stop a few times....but I didn't quit and sit down, I stretched and started back up. It only took 15 minutes or so and I think I'll try to do it in the morning before my shower. I think it will kick start my day and be better for me than groaning about how early it is when my 13 year old has to be taken to basketball practice at 5:50. I can come home and do that for 15 minutes and then hop in the shower. I'm hoping that it didn't hurt my back....actually it was probably great for it, just sitting here now that isn't.

So....I'm off to stretch my back some more and watch Big Medicine.

I said on Sunday I was going to have a great week and so far, so good. I'm on the downhill slide and it can only get better from here.

KathyB it's good to have you back again. My condolences for your loss. It doesn't seem that long ago at all that you shared the news of his illness with us. :smile: May he be at peace now.

HI Janet;

I am seeing the surgeon on Feb 4th and I think we will agree on a Surg. date at that point. It seems like an eternity from now... I just have to sit tight and try not to eat the house.

Glad you're getting things fixed up. Sucks that you have to go through surgery again though. :smile: But at least you know what to expect this time around.

HI Janet;

No, I will not have to pay again ... it should all be covered. As the band is obviously faulty &/or damaged in some way. He dosn't want to repair it, but place a whole new band in there. But it means starting over with the 4 week post op diet and then the months of fills.... yuk.

I feel stalled, but I knew there were risks, complication rates (albeit low) I am just one of the rare statistics I guess LOL :frown:

HOpefully, after surg and recovery I may still make my ANNUAL July11th band date and be at my w/l goal by then.... (fingers crossed) Peaches

Peaches

Maybe once your band is replaced you won't be needing months of fills - since you have a defective band that hasn't been holding them is the reason you have had to go so much - I have been lucky - I am on my third (which I really think I needed more mentally than phyically) and I'm good and restricted - and I have to go to postop diet after a fill - 1 week at each stage - but as you know I don't follow it to a T - but pretty close - heck most of my meals now are considered mushie to soft

I must be the only person on the entire site who still gets hungry - I read so much that when they have good restriction their hunger goes away - I still get hungry - just get full faster...

Well gs just came home and is hungry... be back in a few

Quick question. I suffer from migranes. I have never taken anything stronger than excedrin for them. Tylenol doesn't touch them. I did buy some children's motrin so that next time I had something that maybe might help a bit. If I can't have that, do you have any suggestions? I know...ask my dr. (and I will next time I'm in) but do you think once every couple of months will cause a problem? I only get them when I am reallys stressed out or my syatic nerve is pinching (like today). I'm wondering about an IMHO is all....

It sounds like your migranes are probably connected to your back problems. Do you notice a difference after your chiropractor visits?

Have you tried that HeadOn pain killer? You rub it on your temples or the areas where your headache is. My husband doesn't mind it, but I don't really like it. It seems to make my head feel tighter and tingles. Still, what doesn't work for me might work for you. And you don't have to worry about swallowing anything. :frown:

Kari,

Tylenol is not an NSAID. You should try that. NSAIDS won't immediately zap your stomach with a dose or 2 but taken every day and or frequently will most likely eventually eat holes in the lining of your stomach.

Tylenol is truely the safest for your stomach.

Janet,

I'm used to being bombarded with medical questions when ppl find out. I don't usually advertise because I don't want to come across as preachy or know-it-all. I am actually impressed with everyones' immense knowledge surrounding this surgery. It shows a high degree of research has gone into this thing before decisions were made. &s for your leg pain, it could be caused by exercise (growing pains), too little potassium if it is cramps, or ummm...(whispers) age.

Ok, bedtime. Nitty-Night all.

Kathy,

So sorry to hear about your Dad. That's such a difficult thing to go through even when you have the Peace that comes with knowing he's gone to a better place and that he is free of any suffering.

Headaches.... I've been troubled with intermittent "travelling" headache for the last couple of weeks... been mostly in one spot on the left, today it moved around to the right! Not bad, just persistent annoying ache.

Weigh in today... depressing... 6/10 of a lb last week, only 2/10 lb this week! Think I will call Janet's doc and see if I can get a fill. Was going to wait until we get home in April, but not a good idea. Can't stand this slow agonizing pace!! 2.8 lb so far this whole month!! And it's making me grumpy!

Supposed to go to Quartzsite tomorrow and check out the big RV show, swap meets, etc. but it's so cold and miserable and now it's raining. Wonder if it's raining over there, too.

Neighbor's network has been down for two days so I just got back online late this afternoon! Another thing to be grumpy about! He has me on his network, so when he goes down, I'm out of commission, too! They're only allowed so many MB per day and when it's exceeded they get cut off. Last time it was my fault, this time they did it! At any rate, I MISSED my bandster buddies!!!

Just one more thing....

I am not a Breakfast person and my dietician said that if I was going to insist on not eating b'fast that I needed to have something with Protein in it regardless. I don't know about everyone else but it has NOT been my favorite task. So I asked a friend who had bypass done what she has been doing for Protein. She gave me a sample....

The drink is called proticcino. She got it from her bariatric center. Well, she said she had found it cheaper online so after I tried it and liked it, she gave me the website. The nice thing about this site is that any order under $70 is just $7 shipping...which really isn't that bad compared to some of the places. Also, if you order more than $20 you can pick three free samples.

So where is this going....well I LOVE the proticcino. It comes pre-measured in a bottle and you just add Water and shake. It isn't thick like a lot of shakes, more like thin milk. And I LOVE it. Well I went to sit down to watch Big Medicine and decided to treat myself to one of the free samples I ordered. It is amaretto cocoa. It has 80 cals and 15g protein. I was a little short protein today at dinner because I filled up so quick. It is AWESOME!

I know Salsa was talking about only being able to drink right now and this is something warm and indulgent and GOOD FOR YOU! or as good for you as snacking goes. AND I get my chocolate fix and it doesn't taste like fake chocolate like all those "diet" chocolate bars do.

Anyways....if you are interested the website is

MyDietShopz.com for e-Z Weight Loss, e-Z Shopping, and e-Z Prices

and I like it. There are also a bunch of products aspartame free (the proticcino is) for those who have problems with that. I have another cinnamon cocoa to try, their oatmeal, and tropical banana drink. I just thought someone might be interested.

Now...thanks to tivo...I'm off to watch Big Medicine!

I have to share my good news with my Lab Band friends: My son and dil stopped over last night. They said they wanted to borrow our snow blower but the real reason was to show us a sonogram pic of our 9-weeks-gestation grandchild! I know they've been working on this for the last year, and I am so happy for them (and for me!). I suspected she was pregnant when they were living with us over Christmas and she didn't have any alcohol to drink but I figured they would tell us when they were ready. Last night was the night!

Lindaa- CONGRATULATIONS GRANDMA!!! 36_1_66.gif You are gonna be one HOT GRANDMA.

---Quote (Originally by peaches9)---

I am experiencing lost restriction after each of my fills.

The restriction lasts for 2-3 days then WHAM empty.

My doc says I'll have to have a new band installed as the original is obviously defective...

I am anxious to hear if this has happened to anyone else and how you are doing now??? Peaches

---End Quote---

Peaches- I am so sorry to hear you will have to go through surgery again. Keep us posted. Take care of yourself and remember we are here.

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb113&pp=ZKxdm005YYUS