Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Still surprising though to know that I am at a completely normal weight now. I have to admit that although I'm not normally vain, I do spend quite a bit of time admiring myself in mirrors these days! One of my favorite activities these days is to try on my older clothes! A lot of fun!

Brandy – Congrats on NORMAL weight… That’s so Great:biggrin:

1. I ran .5 miles straight for the FIRST time in my life.

2. I wasn't the fatest girl at the gym

3. I didn't feel like I was dying 10 minutes into my workout.

4. I CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK TOMORROW

Well after an hour at the gym I need to go get some work done.

Karri – Congrats on RUNNING – that a BIG accomplishment… :(

I have my love/hate relationship with the gym – I hate being hot and right now they don’t always have the fans going. I am a BIG head sweater – On Tuesday they had the fans going and I was only going to do 2 miles as I was feeling a little tired – well ended up doing 3.5 – cuz with the fans on I stay cooler and can workout longer – yesterday felt strong – but the fan’s weren’t on – after the 1st mile I was hot – 2nd mile dieing and really wanted to quit - and when I ck’d mileage is was 2.5 so I figured I could do ½ more mile – that’s only 2 songs.

By the time I finished my head looked like I just got out of the shower.

The name of the book is "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne. Talk about a book that really makes you think....

"Have you been large (big' date=' well, oh heck, all right...fat) pretty much all your life or did something happen later as an adult to cause you to start putting on the pounds?" [/font']

"Do you see yourself as large in your mind's eye, no mater how much you are loosing? or Do you see yourself as slender?"

Blue Eyedbaby –

The Secret – Well watched that show (oprah) and said to omg – That’s how I have been living my life – so for me it wasn’t a secret – I thought it was my original idea. I truly have always thought that there is a lesson to be learned from our life experiences and all the other stuff she wrote about – I guess I could have written this book in 92 and made a mint…

#1 – I weighed 3.12 lbs at birth – I was a preemie – I was a chubby kid during grade school – 8th grade weighed 165 and was considered the fat girl – looking back at pic’s I wasn’t that fat – but had 40 lbs on all my friends. High School 130 then in my mid 20’s started with the weight gain – 140 -160 – 180 by 29 206 – did various diets /drugs 200 – 180 – by 92 after parents died went to 230 – lost 30 – then for the last few years – got to 190 – 200 – 220 – 230 – 240 then 250 – alas lapband

As a child my family looked like Ozzie & Harriett – but it really wasn’t – My Mom always made the comment – such a pretty face – infact I was like in 4th grade and they had me on a diet (liquid diet meds) – all that did was make me a closet eater. My rebellious side comes out – tell me not to eat – I will eat ten times more..

#2 – Yes today I see my self thinner – as I have my size 12 jeans on – but 188 isn’t thin – ya it’s thinner than 250 – but not thin enough – so yes some days I do - some days I don’t – but heck look at the skinny chicks who are always saying “I’m so Fat” and they weigh 120 lbs and are 5’7..

I am so depressed as everyone else who's had their band 6 mos. has lost so well... 50 -60lbs... not me

Peaches – we aren’t in a contest here and really – it’s not about how fast it comes off but how long we keep it off – That will be the proof that this thing works – or should I say helps me keep it off – then I will know I am a success..

I'm not real excited about what seems like a big weight loss this week. Most of it will start coming back now that I can drink Water again. I Had a little unfill yesterday. I was close to needing an IV for dehydration. I hated to pay the money for it, and now I'll have to go back for a refill later, but I really had no choice.

Linda – You may not need any more in your band – since it was a slight unfill – maybe you will be at your sweet spot..

Ok gang - I wrote this all this morning - but it didnt post for whatever that reason is - just like the dryer always eats that one sock :rose:

Hope everyone is having a good Friday ....

Will Ck back later...

The reason DH is anal is cuz of his military background - was he a drill sergent:biggrin:

No, he wasn't a drill sergant... maintenance officer. But, yes, the military background is definitely part of his "issues"!! And I'll tell you something else I forgot about... he ran out of cigarettes several days ago! :( He says he's not going to buy any more. But he also says he's miserable and it seems like a month since his last one. I forgot that I was dealing with a little nicotine withdrawl and he can get pretty cranky when he's trying to quit. So I guess I better cut him a little slack. :rose:

Hi all,

Since Salsa invited me to read, I seem to have spent an extreme amount of time checking out this thread. I have to admit I did NOT read all 526 pages but what I did, I was impressed. I can't believe how unbelievably supportive you all are. And when you have to show some tough love, how loving it feels. No one gets upset that they are being picked on. You all have AWESOME attitudes.

I am hoping you won't mind me joining in and asking you all for advice and talking about my victories and my setbacks. I know I can use some of your tough love as well as some of your encouragement. Would you all mind if I'm a "lucky loser"?

I'm going to start with my victory....drum roll please....

Since a stagnant 3 weeks, my scale has resumed downward progress. As good as that is, what is better is the renewed commitment to this I have started this week. I have been focusing on Protein and Water. My liquid intake was slumping and I was not eating in the right order. I also was snitching all the time. I guess a little here and a little there really does add up to SOMETHING! So, there has been no snitching and I've been getting in at least 80oz of Water the last three days. (actually the water thing wasn't hard the last couple of days since while I sit and the computer and read I continually sip...and that was a LOT of reading).

Today is my birthday and this morning my coworkers brought me a big cinnamon roll "cake" which I politely declined. Then my students brought me a cupcake "cake" and a Mt. Dew, which I thanked them for but declined. I did eat 1 chocolate chip cookie at lunch, but only after my yogurt and string cheese was finished. I am making shrimp cocktails and crab roll-ups for dinner so that I'm not tempted by cake and ice cream.

And my husband's birthday card this morning was addressed to his "beautiful CURVY wife". I have CURVES!!!! and they curve the right direction!

It really has been a terrific day.

No, he wasn't a drill sergant... maintenance officer. But, yes, the military background is definitely part of his "issues"!! And I'll tell you something else I forgot about... he ran out of cigarettes several days ago! :lol: He says he's not going to buy any more. But he also says he's miserable and it seems like a month since his last one. I forgot that I was dealing with a little nicotine withdrawl and he can get pretty cranky when he's trying to quit. So I guess I better cut him a little slack. :seeya:

Ya i guess you better - does that mean no more wine for you :lol:

what happened to your weight/chart ticker... I really liked that.

I am glad that you and DH settled your spat. :lol:

Oh my, something else we have in common, my DH is military as well and is also very particular about some things...

We once had a huge fight about HOW to squeeze the toothpaste!! Can you imagine? I am a tube squeezer and he likes to ROLL his tube up from the end. OMG... who the FLICK cares!!!

We now have separate bathrooms... but we can still manage the same bed LOL

Definitely can relate to the toothpaste. We each have our own separate tube!! LOL Last few spats have had to do with weighing and measuring my food. But, as I said in another post, I think I figured out what that is all about. He is denying himself smokes. So he's dealing with nicotine withdrawl. Plus, if he's suffering, he wants me to suffer!

Hi all,

Since Salsa invited me to read, I seem to have spent an extreme amount of time checking out this thread. I have to admit I did NOT read all 526 pages but what I did, I was impressed. I can't believe how unbelievably supportive you all are. And when you have to show some tough love, how loving it feels. No one gets upset that they are being picked on. You all have AWESOME attitudes.

I am hoping you won't mind me joining in and asking you all for advice and talking about my victories and my setbacks. I know I can use some of your tough love as well as some of your encouragement. Would you all mind if I'm a "lucky loser"?

I'm going to start with my victory....drum roll please....

Since a stagnant 3 weeks, my scale has resumed downward progress. As good as that is, what is better is the renewed commitment to this I have started this week. I have been focusing on Protein and Water. My liquid intake was slumping and I was not eating in the right order. I also was snitching all the time. I guess a little here and a little there really does add up to SOMETHING! So, there has been no snitching and I've been getting in at least 80oz of water the last three days. (actually the water thing wasn't hard the last couple of days since while I sit and the computer and read I continually sip...and that was a LOT of reading).

Today is my birthday and this morning my coworkers brought me a big cinnamon roll "cake" which I politely declined. Then my students brought me a cupcake "cake" and a Mt. Dew, which I thanked them for but declined. I did eat 1 chocolate chip cookie at lunch, but only after my yogurt and string cheese was finished. I am making shrimp cocktails and crab roll-ups for dinner so that I'm not tempted by cake and ice cream.

And my husband's birthday card this morning was addressed to his "beautiful CURVY wife". I have CURVES!!!! and they curve the right direction!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TWILIGHT & WELCOME TO OUR GREAT GROUP...

That's great that your scales are now moving in the right direction.

:lol:

Yes the little of this and that does add up - this is why I keep a food diary - I don't want to write down - 1 piece of candy 80 cal -0 portien - 15 chips 140 calories - heck it's easy enought to get to 1000 calories eating normal meals - let alone junk. Congrats on your renewed strenght - You can do this - you just gotta get the right mindset that this IS NOT A DIET - this is a lifetime lifestyle eating habit change for a healthier life. Truely - I don't miss the junk too much - I have found South Beach Protein Bars - 19 grm of protein for 210 calories - but I use them as my night time dessert - and i LOVE them - i just budget my calories to allow for such a high calorie snack...

Well, hope you have a GREAT birthday - and you are welcome here anytime you want - the more the merrier and I think we are a great group if i do say so myself - I have sent the spats on the other threads - we have never had one here... We are here for each other - good bad and in between.

:seeya:

Ya i guess you better - does that mean no more wine for you :eek:

:lol: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :scared:

Now wait just a cotton pickin' minute here, Girlfriend!! Those are fightin' words!! Why should I have to give up my wine just because he quit smoking!!??? I use a VERY small wine glass... like 3-4 oz. And never have more than one or two glasses each afternoon! Really! Honest! Never!

:seeya:

Anyways, how long do you think his not smoking will last????? I don't want to even try to count how many times I've been through this before! Then there's the 7 years I thought he'd quit when he really hadn't! Am I stupid and naive??? Yes, of course! I believed him and told everyone how proud I was when he'd really never quit! Then there was the day our youngest daughter took me aside and said, "Mom, haven't you noticed that every time Dad has to go to Safeway for something he comes home smelling like cigarettes???" :smokin: So I'm a little cynical about this whole quit smoking thing. And between him being grumpy with the nicotine withdrawl, not to mention the stock market whining and crying, please don't deny me my wine!! I will surely die! Or at least lose my sanity.:lol: I love you, anyway!

"Have you been large (big, well, oh heck, all right...fat) pretty much all your life or did something happen later as an adult to cause you to start putting on the pounds?"

Next question is "Do you see yourself as large in your mind's eye, no mater how much you are loosing? or Do you see yourself as slender?"

Well this story should show you exactly you crazy my mom was. And yes she was crazy, as she spent time in a mental institution.

I have been fat for as long as I can remember. I was put on a diet on my 8th birthday. My mom sat and ate my entire birthday cake in front of me and told me to eat my veggies as no one that was as fat as I was should be rewarded with goodies. (Mind you she was fat her whole life too, and died weighing over 350 pounds). So I turned to closet eating and admittedly actually would eat out of the garbage can at home. I know disgusting, but I always feared she would take away the food. Since that time I have been binging on food whenever the opportunity would arise. College was the worst because I lived alone and didn't have to hide the food. I remember my first year of college that I would go to each of the fast food restaurants and order the largest meal I could get and usually ended up eating at least 3 super/king/biggie sized meals for dinner. However I am very proud to say that since I have been banded I have not snuck one piece of food:Dancing_biggrin:. I dropped 50 pounds on Aktins, but skyrocketed by up and over my original weight when the stress of working in a gang ridden Las Vegas school caused me to turn to carbs, carbs, carbs. My worst day for eating in vegas consisted of downing almost 2 dozen krispy kreme donuts in 1 day.

As for my large sizedness, I still see myself as big. though last night at the gym, I started seeing that I wasn't as big as I was picturing myself. However, I mentally can't wrap my head around the fact that I don't have 100 pounds to lose anymore. It is so bizzare to me. I have been trying to lose weight for 20 years, so I am scared to get to the point that I no longer have anything to lose. I will lose a major part of who I am. I know, I am cuckoo, but you all love me, so it doesn't matter!:lol:

Hi, Steph and welcome to our group. AND, Happy Birthday! :smokin: :lol::seeya::lol:

This is a great group!

I had to give Janet a bad time about my afternoon wine... my vice!! But notice I was then hiding behind the couch because she's probably going to chew me out now!! LOL

Well this story should show you exactly you crazy my mom was. And yes she was crazy, as she spent time in a mental institution. I know, I am cuckoo, but you all love me, so it doesn't matter!

Karri- You are pretty sane if you ask me - I had a mentally challenged mother too (she committed suicide when I was 15 - found her on the floor with her wrist slit when I was 5 ) So from one to another who had mentally challenged mom's you come off pretty darn normal to me - you seem to know your issue and are working on them - We are pull your self up by the boot straps kind of girls - you gotta move forward..... Heck we all are a little crazy at one time or another in our lives. But hugs to you on how your mom treated you - that's pretty bad..

What's the most I have eaten at one time well the 1st thing that stands out that I really remember was I ordered 2 super size submarine sandwiches and ate them both on a Friday nite. These are big sandwiches - I did not eat them ate all at once but thru the course of the evening they were gone. Made brownie batter and ate it raw in bed (and I wasn't in the raw )

I know that I have fished stuff out of the trash to eat - that's why the xmas cookie I threw away - I made sure that they were unwrapped and contaminated by the other trash.

We do love you - and props to you for no more sneaking... I guess my problem is since I don't have a dh or bf - I don't have to sneak - but that in itself isn't good either cuz I could and would eat anything and everything I wanted in the privacy of my own house..

Well Karri from your Band Mommy hugs and kisses to my little girl..

I'm the kind of Mom that will try and make you feel better about yourself not worse...:seeya:

I had to give Janet a bad time about my afternoon wine... my vice!! But notice I was then hiding behind the couch because she's probably going to chew me out now!! LOL

Phyl – I was teasing you that cuz you told me once that DH let you have your wine – if he could have a ciggy - Imho you gotta have what makes you happy in moderation – it’s not like you are drinking a gallon every night if you were then Karri & I would have to become the Alcohol cops on your butt – and you would be throw in the rehab house..:lol:

Janet - I am from Michigan. Nowhere close to TJ

Phyll - YES, by all means, give the man some slack. I just finished losing the 60 pounds I oput on when I quit smoking. Four years ago.

Katrina - Was I always fat? No. I wasn't skinny but I was normal. I put on the requisite 20 pounds after marriage but I could live with that. It was after my first daughter was born that the weight went on. (I only gained 8 lbs). My hormones went whacky.......no periods.........weight went on....and on...and on. The dr. told me that my hormones probably is what was adding the pounds, and then again it could be the pounds that was causing the hormone imbalance. Finally, got pregnant again.........(Only gained 3 lbs)......then the weight went on....and on and on......Then, baby #3 (lost 3 with her)...Finally ended up around 230 pounds whech I held steady for years and years. (that baby is 22 now) I didn't really see myself as FAT.

Then four years ago, I came down with Legionaires disease and almost died. Quit smoking and put on an additional 60 pounds. Depression set in..really down....finally the saw the huge woman in the mirror and decided to take control. I AM GOING TO DO IT. I AM GOING TO FIND THAT WOMAN I USED TO BE........IF IT KILLS ME.

Twilite- Welcome. The more the merrier. and the more support we have.

Karri -

Good for you in joining a gym. There isn't one close to me and besides, I have a knee that needs to be replaced and it is absolute he!! to walk any distance at all, let alone RUN. GOOD FOR YOU!!! I have to settle for my exersize bike and pedal for my exersize. Haven't missed a day yet, but some days, I've only gone around 11 miles. I aim for 30.

ANOTHER WEEK GONE BY. A COUPLE MORE POUNDS LOST BY ALL OF US. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. LET'S WATCH THOSE scales MOVE DOWNWARD.

I MADE IT TO ONEDERLAND THIS MORNING!!!!

DANCE! BOOGIE ONDERLAND! HA! HA! DANCE!

BOOGIE ONDERLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!:lol::Dancing_biggrin:

I sang this song at the top of my lungs when I made it to Onderland myself. Am I showing my age with Earth, Wind and Fire? :lol:

Congrats jackie! :seeya:

Karri- You are pretty sane if you ask me - I had a mentally challenged mother too (she committed suicide when I was 15 - found her on the floor with her wrist slit when I was 5 )

What's the most I have eaten at one time well the 1st thing that stands out that I really remember was I ordered 2 super size submarine sandwiches and ate them both on a Friday nite.

Phyl – I was teasing you that cuz you told me once that DH let you have your wine – if he could have a ciggy - Imho you gotta have what makes you happy in moderation – it’s not like you are drinking a gallon every night if you were then Karri & I would have to become the Alcohol cops on your butt – and you would be throw in the rehab house..:lol:

Nah, I'm not ready for rehab yet! I just had my one little glass tonight. I know you were teasing... that's why I had to tease you back! DH doesn't know this, but for a while there last year, every time I knew he'd bought another pack of cigarettes.... I would go buy lottery tickets....$5-10 worth!! He HATES it when I buy lottery tickets! It was my little secret GOTCHA!! I don't know what i would've done if I won big money!!! It would have been "fess up" time!! LOL

I'm so sorry to hear what you and Karri had to go through with your moms. I remember as a child fearing that I was going to have to suffer something horrible because I felt so blessed with the family that I had. We were by no means well off, but I had two parents who loved me, a hard working Dad, three little sisters and I felt really lucky. So i would always worry that something bad was going to happen!

There were some rocky years with my Mom, but, just normal stuff. I was the oldest so on Saturdays I had to scrub the kitchen floor on my hands & knees, clean the bedroom I shared with my sisters and change all the sheets, clean the bathroom and vacuum and dust the living room. I could've had it all done in a short time, but I was a great procrastinator even then, so I'd drag it out all day. And we'd bicker and fight about it because Mom would be nagging me all day to get it done. But when I look back on it, it was good discipline. My Mom is still alive, 86 1/2 yrs. She's suffering right now because she knows she's about to lose her only sister, my Aunt Genny, who is about 8 yrs younger than her but very sick with cancer.

I can't think of anything really outrageous that I've ever eaten at one sitting. I know I've put away four doughnuts on more than one occasion. One of my "things" was Campbell's Franco American Spaghetti!! I could eat a whole can of that, no problem, along with one or two hot dogs. I've always eaten too much and all the wrong things, but no really bad binging.

Someone, I think Peaches, asked what happened to my weight graph. I got rid of it because it was so big... and because everyone was talking about not wanting anyone to know how much they weighed and there was my weight out there for everyone to see!! So I ditched it last night.

Jackie - Congratulations!!!!

Karri - Great Job on the Exercise!!!

I also have a mom whose been to the whitecoat academy, 3 times.

The first time, I was 9yrs. I think that has a lot to do with my panic attacks. But she ain't never deprived me of food. Your story was so sad, and I thought my mom was a @#&*! If I lived around you, I'd throw you a birthday party.

Phyl - It's medically proven wine is good for you. Your adding years to your life. It's as necessary as your Vitamins.< /p>

Twilight - Welcome and Happy Birthday!

I'll tell my life weight story tomorrow. It's late and I gotta go to bed.

Thanks to Ruby I'm dancing my way to the tub with.....

Dance, ance ance Boogie Onederland I eee I eee eyeeeeee

Thank you all for the congrats and words of encouragement. I am so happy to be a part of this group!! scale was down another pound today. I am now 197. OMG if I am dreaming DON'TWAKE ME UP!!

"Have you been large (big, well, oh heck, all right...fat) pretty much all your life or did something happen later as an adult to cause you to start putting on the pounds?" I was not always big. I was very thin and curvy up until my first baby at 18. After she was born I came home weighing 155 lbs. I thought I was FAT!! Then I worked at it and lost 20lbs of that and then got pregnant with my second child at 19. (Yes I was young I know. I was married when I was 18 to my childrens father.) During pregnancy I went up to 201 lbs. After my son I lost a little weight but then I went up to 212 and stayed there for about 6 years. Then I went through this whole thing with my husband being terribly sick and having infection in his feet from diabetic ulcers and he couldn't work, I was working 3 jobs and going to school, and trying to take care of 2 kids. (I do not blame him in anyway because let me tell you he suffered terribly feeling inadequate as a man) All these things going on in my life at once and I just quit taking care of myself and didn't eat much. I lost 82 lbs. Felt great but honestly hadn't done it the right way. I was taking these pills I had bought at GNC called Thin Agains. They were great for keeping me on the go and they took my appetite away. Then the kids dad passed in 2003 and I started to eat. AND EAT AND EAT!!! I ballooned up to 275 lbs. That is when I decided on the band.

"Do you see yourself as large in your mind's eye, no mater how much you are loosing? or Do you see yourself as slender?" I never really seen myself as fat. When I looked at pictures I would be so ashamed so I would avoid pictures to avoid the truth. When we would go out then I would notice my weight because I would compare myself to the other women. Then we just stopped going out and it wasn't really 'in my face' so much. I started to 'hide' and jsut didn't want to do much with other people anymore because I was so ashamed on one side but in denile of just how big I was. I still find myself comparing myself to other women when we go out now. I still try to just 'fade into the furniture' if there are alot of thin women in our crowd. I love to hear a compliment here and there but not someone to just go overboard and really compliment and make a big deal out of it. It is a big deal for me but it is also a VERY personal journey that I am on. My victories are kept to myself and then shared here because I know you all understand how I feel or what the vicories mean to us.

I say again, I am so glad to have all of you to take this journey with. You all mean so much to me.

Ok off my soap box now. I am so freakin weepy this week. 0002006A.gif LOL