Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Good luck to Bobberts Mom, Laurend, Cherrybomb, Abbey and Mrs Horne on your upcoming banding. I'm sure all will go well..:).... I'm a little upset today:mad:, I asked my DF what he REALLY thought my having this surgery and he had the nerves to say, " I think your taking the easy way out" I am soooooo tired of explaining myself to him, I just give up. He has no idea what it is to be overweight, he's 6"1 and 180lbs, not an ounce of fat anywhere, his mom is thin and so is his brother. He says, just take a walk every morning and you'll lose the weight on your own. If it were that easy I'd have a body like Beyonce. Sorry if I'm rambling, he just really ticked me off,:angry grrrrrrr

Yeah, and it's ticked me off, too. I am so flippin sick of hearing that this is the easy way out. You know, don't even try to make him understand anymore. I'm sure he has heard/read all the facts along w/you...and if he still thinks this is the easy way out, so be it. He will see that this takes just as much work and effort. It is not an automatic thing. The band is a freakin tool!!!!! Do we have to shout it from the mountaintops???

Ok...deep breath Cherea (my real name)...I'm okay.

Don't get discouraged b/c he doesn't understand. If he hasn't heard/read the facts, you can maybe leave some info in the bathroom (for some reading material, lol). But personally, I would just stop trying to force him to understand. You're only gonna drive yourself crazy in the process...and you'll miss out on enjoying your entrance into Bandland!!! WOOHOO!!!!

Welcome Grammarcoquette! Glad you've joined us and congrats on the date! We are glad to have you as a Lucky 7. Feel free to jump in anywhere. Wonderful group of people here. Ask away w/any and all questions!

Hey ya'll! I have a set date for July 17. I can't wait!! I am so excited and nervous all at the same time!! Good luck to those of you that are getting banded this week!! Please add me to the calendar and to the group of July lucky sevens!!

Hello Lucky# Sevens,

I have a choice on pre opt diet - 2 weeks of 2 Protein shakes and a lean cusine or 1 week of all Protein Shakes. Anybody have opinion on which will be easier to stick too? any body else going to Dr. Ortiz on the 24th?

Renee

Renee,

I was going to be banded w/Dr. Ortiz in June, but postponed last minute.(7/9 now) I chose the 7 day liquid last month and it was tortorous. This time I'm doing the 12 day 2 shake, 1 lean cuisine. I think it is MUCH more do-able. No solid food is very difficult.

AppleBlossom, Congratulations on your date! I will be joining you as well on the 9th. Looks to be a busy day of banding ... by my count ... 10 of us!!!!

Gracious! That's a lot of us. How Lucky!

AppleBlossom--hey, I'm going to Dr Ortiz on the 10th for pre-ops, surgery on the 11th. Welcome.

Mrs Horne--I'm glad you're well enough to post--sorry about the nausea.

I saw that :)...we should pass each other somewhere!

Same here. No kids yet, and I can only imagine how my pregnancy would be...if I even got pregnant b/c I have PCOS, so infertility would be a problem.

Another benefit of the band. Won't it be nice to have PCO's much more under control! Be careful....hee hee. I have PCO's and learned that some weight loss was all it took for us to quickly go from thinking I'd never get pregnant to a full house!

gladster12 and grammarocoquette, welcome to the Lucky 7's. We're excited you've found us. Lots of support going on in here so beware!!!

Cherrybomb, I sent a shout out to you last night before going to bed for best wishes on a speedy recovery after surgery. Hope you saw it. We couldn't forget you and LWesson for today.:mad:

Felicia, just wait until he sees what you have to do after this

surgey.:) liquids for so long, mushies for so long, excercise, weight training to name a few. None of this is easy. Give him a chance. He may be just recalling what others may have said to him about the surgery. It's a whole new game when he sees you at home, drinking your meals, and leaving him to go out and do you excercising. Don't ever expect an apology from him, becasue you probably won't ever get one, but expect him to change his tune a little bit at a time.

Mommiranda, Happy anniversary to you.:clap2: My 5 year is coming up in October. We have a trip planned to visit my grandmother in Florida. Can't wait.

dmtjet, I'm not on any time releasd pills. The only thing I've taken so far is the pain pills and pepcid. Sorry I can't be of more help to ya.

ckbw, you finally have a ticker. Love it.

wrangler, I remember those earlier childhood days.:cry I was always bigger too, but athletic, always stayed busy outside playing. Just wasn't enough. My spouse smokes too. Wish I could get him to quit.

Hope to hear from our other July 3 banders today. I know Laurend had to travel to get to where she was going for surgery, so maybe she'll be back home today. I haven't seen Abbey12477 post in a while. Hope she's still around.

Chimboree, very thoughtful and interesting question. It's fascinating to read everyone's replies, because even though we have so much in common, some have different histories and current feelings about themselves. I think it's truly wonderful some of us still feel hot and sexy at their current weight. Even when I was 130 lbs. I still felt too heavy, could have lost another 5-10 lbs. (I'm 5'7").

I was a perfectly fine kid until I hit adolescence and then always felt I was too heavy. I was heavier than the other girls - wore a size 13. But I never lacked for friends or male attention. I always liked boys and still do, at 62, and I'm in a wonderful marriage of 41 years, with 2 great daughter, with the first grandchild on the way.

But my body image has never been good. At college I got down to 130 lbs. from 160, got married at 21 and had my first daughter at 25. I put on 50 lbs., taking me to 180, but lost it within 5 months.

Here's the deal and what I'm finally realizing - I am and always have been a compulsive overeater. I managed my weight by dieting and mainly smoking; it was much easier to diet and control my weight (although I was always going up and down 10-15 lbs.) because of the smoking. But even with the smoking I could never maintain my weight - it always fluctuated, but I was never more than 150 lbs.

So the smoking camoflaged the fact that I was a compulsive eater. When I stopped, I put on weight, went to a new level. Tried fenphen, which was the only 2 weeks in my life I fet like a "normal" person who didn't think obsessively about food. But that incredible drug wears off too.

At age 49 I got back down to 137 (through Diet Center) but immediately started putting weight back on. My new level the last few years started hovering around 190. And now I'm at 210 and in Last Supper mode.

I have stopped working completely. Having a job masked to me the fact I was a compulsive eater who binges a lot - because the eating is much more controllable with a full time job and real workaholic tendencies - you just don't have as much time to stuff your face! Now that I'm not working I find that I'm in a wonderful mood all the time - I have no real stress in my life - and I have the time to see my patterns clearly. I don't know why I'm a compulsive overeater outside of the usual, genetics, food as friend and comfort, but I do know it's worse as I get older. I now have a CPAP for sleep apnea (which is just never comfortable sleeping with) and feel I'm on the verge of getting diabetes. Even though I've never had a good body image and have always struggled with low self esteem and chronic low level depression, I have always considered myself attractive, especially my face, and have never avoided looking at myself in the mirror until recently. Now I avoid it and am upset when I see myself.

I have been on every diet, taken every medication, even off label diabetes drugs. So I'm looking forward to July 17th, in fact, I can't wait. I think this surgery is the only hope I have of controlling these crazy cravings.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your stories. This kind of sharing is very helpful.

Gladster, welcome to the Lucky 7s! Make yourself at home. We will add you to our calendar, which I'll be updating later on today.

What happened to our fellow Lucky 7s that haven't posted in a while??? Evilah, who started this thread, where are you?

Well, I'll be back later today. I have an appt at 10am, so au revoir.

reconciler, thanks for sharing your story with us. It is amazing how we've all come from different backgrounds, different everything, but have so much in common still. Hearing anothers story always makes me feel more human, because for so long, I felt so alone. I would of never believed there were others going through the same uncontrollable eating issues as I was. It's nice to know I'm not alone, and I can find all the support I need to get through this right here, with all of you, that are having the same issues in life, and trying to overcome them.

So I'm having my first real Protein Shake today.:whoo: I started with 2 oz of skim milk, 1/2 scoop of chocolate powder, 1/2 scoop of vanilla powder, and some ice. Blend and um,um, good. The chocolate powder is a little overwhelming, tried it in chocolate pudding yesterday, so I decided to use the vanilla to even out the taste. It is very good. Later I'm going to try a vanilla.:clap2:

So the liquid diet isn't that bad, but remember, I had no pre op liquids, but I think the key is to keep it interesting. With my Protein Powder, I add in anywhere from 23 to 26 grams of Protein to a meal. I'm allowed 3 meals and 3 Snacks a day. So in reality, I'm only adding powder into 3 items a day. The other items I can eat without the powder.:clap2: Today I'm eating pudding with no powder.:biggrin1: Yesterdays chocolate pudding with chocolate protein powder was just a little too sweet, and runny.:phanvan But I did take a chunky vegetable Soup and added in a scoop of unflavored powder and blended in magic bullet. It was yummy. I think I actually felt satisfied because the soup had potatoes, and corn, and peas in it.:) But I blended it to a liquid consistency, and ate it slowly. Tasted great.

Hope everyone is having a great day.:mad:

I was asked last night was I embarrassed by my weight.

My answer was NO! I ask you now, Why should I be embarrassed? Does being heavy and embarrassment come hand in hand? I THINK NOT ...

Then I added that If I was working the street or going around stealing from people I would be embarrassed....

So i ask to you 'Are you Embarrassed by your Weight?

I was asked last night was I embarrassed by my weight.

My answer was NO! I ask you now, Why should I be embarrassed? Does being heavy and embarrassment come hand in hand? I THINK NOT ...

Then I added that If I was working the street or going around stealing from people I would be embarrassed....

So i ask to you 'Are you Embarrassed by your Weight?

Yes, totally, completely, all the time.

Yes, totally, completely, all the time.

Tell me why? Please ...

Hi everyone, I sort of introduced myself on the pre op thread but thought I would here as well.

My name is Mindy , Im being banded on July 16 in San Antonio Tx But Jorge Rincon MD . Im self pay its costing me $12,000 which includes all fills for a yr.

I love my doc he's amazing.

I cant belive this is almost here. I have been waiting for nearly 2 yrs for the money to get this done. My husband and I own our own concrete company so we have private health insurance , so self pay was always the only way for us. It would have happened before now but we had an employee ( Cousin actually too) who decided to steal $50,000 from us Feb , JUST the time i was prepared to get my surgery ! So that put the surgery off . I find out the Friday after surgery if he was indicted for embezzlement or not , so that will be a nice present LOL

Anyway ..... I am just outside Austin tx Married 7 yrs and have 2 boys, ages 6 and almost 15 ,(He turns 15 the day before my surgery ) .

That's all about me look forward to keeping up w/ everyone.

Love

Mindy