Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. consult & now confused

Don't forget that the band can come off at any time, with bypass you are stuck really! So I don't think they can really say that the lapband causes problem....do they really know? They can takeit out if something goes wrong!

It is worth the extra expense and you recover much quicker from the op!

Nobody claimed otherwise. The band is a good surgery, it works. I'm about as pro-band as they come.

Being over priced is one issues in itself. Being a good idea is completely another.

The surgeon presented material about the more drastic surgeries and then announced that he was against the lap-band. He said that you couldn't lose much weight and that the band itself was criminally overpriced at $4500. He ranted on for at least 10 minutes about the "evils" of the band.

Was a bubble butt,

According to this post by serena, the surgeon giving the seminar said in so many words that the band was evil by ranting about the EVILS of the band. Presumably he would consider that something with 10 minutes worth of evils to rant about would itself be evil. That's what I replied to.

Please don't take this post as an invitation to debate. I simply want to clear up my post, by pointing out exactly whose (the surgeon's) assertions that the post was in response to and how I came to write a post about the band itself not being evil.

Happy posting,

Evilah

I have to tell you my regular doctor is the single best supporter of the lap band I've met thus far and he makes me (besides this web site) the most relaxed about this. His feelings are, why not have it if it's available and it's going to make you healthier and happier in the long run why not? He is a very cautious doc too about many other things such as meds etc. WE are starting the 6 month doc. supervised diet. He says try Weight watchers and just see what happens if you don't lose weight then.....The catch her is the surgeon who I wanted to do the surgery is the stickler...I think he is very loaded down with patients and is only taking the high risk cases. I'm borderline with a 37 BMI no co morbidities......? but I have family history that will work in lab band favor.

Please don't take this post as an invitation to debate. I simply want to clear up my post, by pointing out exactly whose (the surgeon's) assertions that the post was in response to and how I came to write a post about the band itself not being evil.

For the most part, Evilah, I was agreeing with you.

Bless your heart!!!! How unfortunate that, while making the biggest decision of your life, the person that holds the key is the same person putting doubts in your mind!! If your Dr. made the bypass suggestion because he's concerned about your health, therefore he thinks it's medically necessary to have the bypass, that's one thing. But to make the decision based soley on his preference, is to me, unethical.

Knowledge is key! Do a lot of research. Compare the band vs bypass (not only the surgical procedure, but the long lasting results as well). After you have exhausted yourself with message boards, websites, books, and possibly more seminars (hey. . they're free. . take advantage), you should be able to make a decision based on your needs, and which surgery fits those needs the best. No one (even the Dr.) knows your mind and body better than you do. It's your choice, and you have to be comfortable with it.

If your Dr. has made you feel uncomfortable with your decision, try getting a second opinion from a Dr. that is not associated with your current Dr.

Luckily, the seminar I went to (with Southwest Bariatrics in Austin, TX) was very informative. They were very neutral in comparing the surgeries. They offered facts only; no opinions. They answered questions openly and honestly, without bias. This is, after all, YOUR decision!!

Good luck, and keep the faith!! You will find what is best for you!

I've been watching videos on ITUBE of Docs who say the lap band is bad but without much substance to back up their claims really ...their only gripe is that after 10 years in Europe they are seeing that I think it's 40% of the patients are experiencing problems with the bad such as it's not working any longer and that's after 10 years. ASk anyone here and a decade free of weight issues is worth it's weight in gold. Of course the doc was thin and prob never had a weight issue!