Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will you still be hungry?

I have battled ALL of my life with hunger and emotional/impulsive eating. My dad told me recently (when I told him I was considering surgery) that I have always been hungry...from the time I was a tiny baby....They had to start me on Cereal really early b/c milk wasn't cutting it.....

My question is does the lap band help with feeling hungry? I just want the hunger to go away.....I feel so weak willed....I've tried and failed so many times, that I wonder if this is the final choice. I'm 5'6" and about 250 and gaining.....

Thanks for any input.

Hi lotsacurves,

Southernwoman here I know how you feel I roughly weighed the same when

I finally had had enough. This may sound crazy but the feeling of fullness and being satisfied with a smaller amount of food is total bliss! However what you probably already know if you have spent time reading any of the threads

is that the lap band is not placed around our brains. Karla (another me) wrote it best when she replied back to me with "attitude is a big part of the equation". I was blindsighted by the still overwelming presence of cravings.

I am so thankful that I stumbled on to this website it seems to be helping

me cope with this problem. I hope that it will be easier for you than it has for me. Also just a little side note my brother inlaw was the same way as

a baby apparently he was always hungry my mother inlaw told me she too

had to go to feeding him solids very early, and he is as skinny as a twig

always has been. Some people are just blessed that way I guess. My point

is the way you were as a baby does not entirely influence how you will be as an adult. Just hang in there YOU CAN DO THIS !

I find this hard to answer since I dont think I was inappropriately hungry before. I wasnt always ravenous - I was always interested in eating. It was head hunger.

The band has helped me eat less becuase I physically have to stop at a way smaller portion than before. I dont get hungrier because of this, the smaller portion is as satisfying as the larger once was. I do still get head hunger though. I had way less for the first 6 months and then it returned to normal. But its more easily satisifed than before. I've lost all my weight, something must be working, but its hard to figure how much has been me, how much the band and how much due to my running.

I am not near as hungry now, as I use to be...I still get hungry, but the band will only allow me to eat a half a cup...so that helps...once I eat that...I am full.....

I am 17 pounds from goal and I still get head hunger. Sometimes it gets very frustrating not being able to eat what you want and how much BUT my band makes sure that I can't do that anymore and that I am very thankful for.

I don't get that hungry all the time stuff like I use to. I still get hungry, but a few bites and it's gone. I have to admit that going down the road and smelling stuff still gets me at times!