Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have sleep apnea! UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I just got my results of my sleep test today. I have mild sleep apnea. :( I really honestly was not surprised but very disappointed. Just another problem caused from my weight but also another reason for me to get healthy for myself. My daughter has told me for about the last year that I snore really loud and sometimes I wake her up because I 'gasp' for breath like I can't breath. Funny because I don't ever remember waking up but they said I woke up several times through out my study.

I am waiting to hear from the Dr. Office as to when I will be going again to getting 'titrated' with the machine.

Anyone have the machine and was it hard to get used to? I am actually looking forward to it in a small way because they told me I won't believe the difference in the way I will feel after having a peaceful night of sleep with no apnea episodes.

Anyway just needed to tell someone. Crossing my fingers that my endoscopy and echo cardiogram are ok. ;) Have endo tomorrow and echo in a week.

Thanks everyone

It's bad news in sense to learn that you have sleep apnea, but it is also something to Celebrate. I can't begin to tell you how much better I felt after I started sleeping with a CPAP. I did not even know why I was tired all time, and why my heart was having irregular beats, etc. Once I got the CPAP I started feeling much better almost immediately. I don't know what your symptoms are but if they are anything like mine, getting a diagnosis of sleep apnea is reason to celebrate. There's a real chance that your quality of life can improve a lot in the near future.

Thanks for the feedback Marjon!! Sounds like they must be right by your comment. I am hoping that it will help with me being sooooo tired all the time. All I ever want to do is sleep and I never feel like I get enough. Turns out....I'm not!!!

My symptoms are I am tired ALL the time, snoring, gasping for air and constantly repositioning in bed at night. My daughter is the one who noticed the gasping. I didn't even know that I do it. She has woke me up several times and said 'what is wrong mom' and I had no idea what she was talking about. She kinda freaked me out a few times because I would wake up, you know you feel like someone is watching you sleep, and she would be standing right next to my bed watching me.

She lost her dad when he was 35 to complications from juvenile diabetis so she is VERY over protective of her mom. Thank goodness for her because I never would have thought about sleep apnea. I was going to test a long time ago and never did but once I started really pursuing the lap band it was a requirement so I had to do it. I am thankful I did and now I am looking forward to seeing what a REAL nights sleep is like. HAHA

;)

Thanks for the feedback Marjon!! Sounds like they must be right by your comment. I am hoping that it will help with me being sooooo tired all the time. All I ever want to do is sleep and I never feel like I get enough. Turns out....I'm not!!!

My symptoms are I am tired ALL the time, snoring, gasping for air and constantly repositioning in bed at night. My daughter is the one who noticed the gasping. I didn't even know that I do it. She has woke me up several times and said 'what is wrong mom' and I had no idea what she was talking about. She kinda freaked me out a few times because I would wake up, you know you feel like someone is watching you sleep, and she would be standing right next to my bed watching me.

She lost her dad when he was 35 to complications from juvenile diabetis so she is VERY over protective of her mom. Thank goodness for her because I never would have thought about sleep apnea. I was going to test a long time ago and never did but once I started really pursuing the lap band it was a requirement so I had to do it. I am thankful I did and now I am looking forward to seeing what a REAL nights sleep is like. HAHA

;)

Yeah, my wife is the one who noticed that I stopped breathing. She said that sometimes I stopped breathing for 30 seconds at a time, and woke up gasping. And the amazing thing is, I resisted going to the doctor about it for quite a while. Scary. She finally talked me into it.

I slept for fifty years without a cpap and now I go no where without it, yes I fault the machine for several months at home and woulld keep it on a few hours and then throw it off sometime in the middle of the night but eventually it started staying on all night and now, always sleep with it always. but hopefully i will lose it after being banded may 2, and this weight problem goes away hopefully it will too and maybe it wont.

I had not slept well for years....chronic insomnia....but fell asleep every time I got in the car or sat down on the couch, even at my desk more than once!

I hated the sleep apnea test.....worse than the stress test or the shrink eval!.....but it's the best thing that ever happened for my health (next to the LB, of course!). The very first night I had that contraption on, I slept all night......I couldn't believe it. After that, I couldn't wait to go to bed and grab that ugly thing and cuddle up to it!!

But, better than that...it was temporary!! After losing about 50 pounds, I gradually started sleeping without it and now it's packed away in a box. But while I needed it , it was wonderful.

And....even better than that.....I talked DH into getting a test and he's now on oxygen and CPAP and sleeps much better.....and so do I because I don't have to listen to him snore any more!! And I also used to lie awake wondering if he was going to start breathing again.

It's all been a positive thing at our house. I wish the same for you!!

It's bad news in sense to learn that you have sleep apnea, but it is also something to Celebrate. I can't begin to tell you how much better I felt after I started sleeping with a CPAP. I did not even know why I was tired all time, and why my heart was having irregular beats, etc. Once I got the CPAP I started feeling much better almost immediately. I don't know what your symptoms are but if they are anything like mine, getting a diagnosis of sleep apnea is reason to celebrate. There's a real chance that your quality of life can improve a lot in the near future.

Ok so you had an irregular heart beat because of the sleep Apnea? Im asking because my husband is finally going on monday for an assesment. (I already know he has it). But i was thinking that the dr told him he had a slight irregular heart beat when he was at the dr. Has that gone away now that your being treated for the apnea? Can you tell me what the CPAP is and what it does. Im just as excited for him as he is. I hope this can really change our life. Can you tell me if this sounds typical and if so do your syptoms improve afterwards: He falls asleep very easily sitting up on the couch, recliner, toilet. Yet he is very restless at night and snores so loud I have a hard time sleeping. He also gasps for air where it sounds like hes choking. He also has acid reflux, can that be caused by it or is that something unrealated to the apnea. He is overweight and Ive tried to convince him to have the surgery but he wont. Hes scared of going under the knife as he says. Please any and all info is greatly appreciated. Thanks Paula

Ok so you had an irregular heart beat because of the sleep Apnea? Im asking because my husband is finally going on monday for an assesment. (I already know he has it). But i was thinking that the dr told him he had a slight irregular heart beat when he was at the dr. Has that gone away now that your being treated for the apnea? Can you tell me what the CPAP is and what it does. Im just as excited for him as he is. I hope this can really change our life. Can you tell me if this sounds typical and if so do your syptoms improve afterwards: He falls asleep very easily sitting up on the couch, recliner, toilet. Yet he is very restless at night and snores so loud I have a hard time sleeping. He also gasps for air where it sounds like hes choking. He also has acid reflux, can that be caused by it or is that something unrealated to the apnea. He is overweight and Ive tried to convince him to have the surgery but he wont. Hes scared of going under the knife as he says. Please any and all info is greatly appreciated. Thanks Paula

Paula-

They told me that I will be ALOT less restless at night and that I will not be so tired at home. I am the same way your husband is. I toss and turn and gasp and snore at night and have restless sleep but during the day I am so tired. If you have irregular heartbeat DUE to sleep apnea I was told that it would correct that over time because you will be getting a steady flow of oxygen and will/should not have apnea episodes (stop breathing)

I also have acid reflux. Have had it for years. To my knowledge it has nothing to do with the sleep apnea because I know I did not have that for the last 10 years but I have had the other.

The band may improve the acid reflux but I was also told that sometimes it can make it worse. (God forbid I hope this doesn't happen to me!!!!) In the past when I have lost substantial amounts of weight my acid reflux has gone away totally but when I gain the weight back it comes along with the weight. I am hoping that the band will help both of these.

Good luck with your husband. :(

Hi. I found out that I have obstuctive sleep apnea before my lap band. I am on a CPAP and I use it faithfully. It has changed my life. It is a little hard to get used to, and there are a variety of masks to choose from. Take time to find the right fit for you. I have so much more energy! It has helped with my weight loss and my outlook on life. I am a better mother, wife, and worker. Good Luck!

Melissa

I just did the sleep study last night. It was the WORST night of my life - lol!

I have an appointment with my doctor to review the results next week but the tech told me she was surprised someone with such bad apnea had no idea.

Fuck!! I feel like I sleep fine?!

I'm scared of the CPAP and my insurance is about to change - I hope it will all be covered.

I just got my results of my sleep test today. I have mild sleep apnea. :D I really honestly was not surprised but very disappointed. Just another problem caused from my weight but also another reason for me to get healthy for myself. My daughter has told me for about the last year that I snore really loud and sometimes I wake her up because I 'gasp' for breath like I can't breath. Funny because I don't ever remember waking up but they said I woke up several times through out my study.

I am waiting to hear from the Dr. Office as to when I will be going again to getting 'titrated' with the machine.

Anyone have the machine and was it hard to get used to? I am actually looking forward to it in a small way because they told me I won't believe the difference in the way I will feel after having a peaceful night of sleep with no apnea episodes.

Anyway just needed to tell someone. Crossing my fingers that my endoscopy and echo cardiogram are ok. :( Have endo tomorrow and echo in a week.

Thanks everyone

Hi Jackie, i also have mild sleep apnea, i was banded on april 23, 2007 lost about 18 pounds or so i got my machine at home, and let me tell i still cant get used to it its a terrible feeling to wear it, but since i lost weight my husband tells me that i dont snore any more, so the weight has all of it to do with it, did you have surgery already?:nervous

i hear you it was the worst nights of my life and i have mild sleep apnea and i hate to use the cpap i cant stand it, but i've lost about 18 pounds and my husband says that my snoring went away so hopefully i wont need it because i hate it hang in there

Hi Jackie, i also have mild sleep apnea, i was banded on april 23, 2007 lost about 18 pounds or so i got my machine at home, and let me tell i still cant get used to it its a terrible feeling to wear it, but since i lost weight my husband tells me that i dont snore any more, so the weight has all of it to do with it, did you have surgery already?:nervous

ivonea

No I haven't had the surgery yet. I am still in the process of all of the pre op testing and all that. I should be done with all of this in the end of June or Mid July. After that we will submit to insurance and I am hoping I can have surgery in August.

I just did my second night in the sleep clinic to titrate to the machine 2 nights ago. I honestly have to say that I slept ALL night. I haven't done that in years. I was not uncomfortable with the machine or mask and I felt very rested the next morning. They told me that t hey will send the results to my doctor and he will prescribe my machine at the setting that it needs to be set at. I am hoping that I can get the same kind of mask and that it goes as well at home as it did there the other night.

I asked the tech the other night if sleep apnea is pretty common and he states it is. He told me everyone has some sleep apnea but the 'normal' number of apnea episodes in an hour are 3-5 and I had 7 so really mild is VERY mild. He told me that I will probably not need the machine once I have the surgery and loss so weight but he couldn't guarantee that and I understand that but I can hope. HAHA. Anyway he also told me that even though my apnea is so mild the surgeon that I am having requires me to have a CPAP because it will help with the healing process and the already high risk because I am obese. I don't mind that either because I am thankful my surgeon is being so proactive instead of reactive if something were to happen or go wrong. He told me to think of all the pre op testing as the most invasive medical physical I will ever in my life have. He said they will look me up and down, inside out and around and around. I guess I am very thankful that he is being so careful.

Good luck with your apnea and hopefully after some more weight loss you will not have to wear the mask anymore. Have you tried different masks? I started with a mask that just covered my nose but I couldn't use that because I am a mouth breather at night so then I used a mask that covered my nose and my mouth and I was fine.:clap2:

How long did the whole process take?

It took me so long (over 2 months) to get an appt for the sleep study in the first place, I'm nervous about how long it's going to take to get ANOTHER appt. THEN wait to get the machine.

The last visit of my supervised diet is in mid-June. I want to be able to submit to insurance RIGHT AWAY.

How long did the whole process take?

It took me so long (over 2 months) to get an appt for the sleep study in the first place, I'm nervous about how long it's going to take to get ANOTHER appt. THEN wait to get the machine.

The last visit of my supervised diet is in mid-June. I want to be able to submit to insurance RIGHT AWAY.

they called on april 27 to set up my first appointment for May 10 and then I called on May 21 to set up my next appointment and I got it for the very next night May 22. I was lucky I guess. Some people say it takes so long to get into both nights. The surgeons office couldn't believe how fast I got it all done and they got the results the very next day after both nights.