Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have sleep apnea! UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I was lucky. At the clinic where I had my sleep study they discovered my apnea right away (within 2 hours). I was fitted with the machine and was allowed to try it the rest of the night. I got my results within a week and within 2 weeks I met with home health care to get my machine. I rented it for I think 3 months and then my insurance bought me one. I sleep with it every night. Sometimes I get frustrated with it, but for the most part I like it. It is worth the trouble because I feel so much better. Good Luck.

There are so many sleep study center cropping up all over the country that you shouldn't have to wait very long.....if one can't get you in, try another (just be sure your insurance with play nice with them).

I was lucky. At the clinic where I had my sleep study they discovered my apnea right away (within 2 hours). I was fitted with the machine and was allowed to try it the rest of the night. I got my results within a week and within 2 weeks I met with home health care to get my machine. I rented it for I think 3 months and then my insurance bought me one. I sleep with it every night. Sometimes I get frustrated with it, but for the most part I like it. It is worth the trouble because I feel so much better. Good Luck.

The clinic I went to would have done the same but the tech said that I didn't meet insurance criteria meaning that she wasn't sure if I had it or not. She said the doctor who read the results would do several different mathematical equations to see if I had it. (how many apnea episodes I had per hour divided by plus minus blah blah blah HAHA) Anyway, I found out that everyone has sleep apnea but the 'normal' person has 3-5 episodes an hour and I had 7. In my opinion that should be ok but my surgeon says 'no you need the machine or he won't do the surgery so I am doing the machine so I can have surgery and as I said before....I honestly did sleep better and felt great the next day. It would have been nice to do it all in one night but that is ok. At least now I can say I am done and it is over with. :)

I was diagnosed over a year ago. I have no idea if it's mild or off the charts. My setting is 14. Since I've now lost 50 lbs though it seams too high for me....and in the too much information category...it fills me up with gas:eek:.... like i need more. I've put in a call the the company I go through to find out what to do.

oh and it took me 3 months to get used to the dang thing to begin with. I'd take it off several times a night and the mask broke my face out in a lovely rash the shape of the mask. I still break out with new masks....I hate it BUT it's the best I've ever slept. I'm a new person since having it and am very thankful for it. I'm hoping i wont need it soon....crossing my fingers anyhow.

Hang in there. it's a necessary evil.

Those of you who were diagnosed with apnea before surgery, did you have to wear your machine in surgery? Was it a big deal relating to the anesthesia/surgery part? The dr who did my pre-op eval said I did not check enough of the boxes to justify her ordering a sleep study. I'm worried about what if I do have it and they don't catch it before surgery. I snore and have daytime sleepiness but DH says he's never heard me gasping or stop breathing (but who knows if he pays attention). I guess what I'm asking is Will it be a serious risk for me to have the surgery if I do have undiagnosed apnea? Thanks.

mandi78,

My opinion.....and only an opinion....you told the doctor, make sure you talk to the anesthesiologist about your fear too. They are going to be doing most of the monitoring of you. They are not going to just stop monitoring you while you are waking up.

I was hooked up to ekg machine, oxygen, oxygenated blood monitor etc, in recovery till they wheeled me up to a room and they were taking my vitals and watching me closely. I have no other medical conditions that warrant extra monitoring other than the apnea. Maybe they are overly cautious but ask the surgery/anesthesiologist who will be doing your operation if they monitor this close.

I think your husband would be VERY aware if you gasped for air in your sleep. Have your husband listen to you some time before surgery to be sure.

Just my thoughts. good luck.

Hello all,

I'm going to be getting banded on June 12th. Can't wait. I'm hoping that I will be able to stop using my CPAP after I've lost some weight. Although, I have to say that since I got my machine (January 2007) I've never slept better. The only symptoms I had were very loud snoring (kept hubby awake) and being very sleepy all the time. My kids are 3 and 4 so I thought being sleep deprived was natural - ha-ha. My sleep study showed that I stopped breathing an average of 46 times an hour. YIKES!!

If you even think there is a possibility of having sleep apnea you should definitely get tested. It does all kinds of bad things to your body including heart disease. It also runs in families so there's a good chance that some others in your family might have it and not even know. I've told everyone on my dad's side of the family because they are all snore heavily.

You do get used to the mask. It took me a while but now I won't even think of sleeping (not even a nap) without it. The difference is fantastic.

Good luck to all.;)