Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

I am scheduled to have surgery on May 21st! I am excited, but a little scared. Not sure what to expect. This is my question..........how bad is the pain during recovery? Is it reasonable to expect to go back to work in a couple of days instead of taking a whole week off?

I have been reading alot of the threads and I identify with so many of you. My difference is that I have had a previous gastric bypass about 13 years ago. I feel like such a loser for gaining the weight back! - but am blessed with two beautiful daughters to show for it! I have been struggling with feeling selfish for wanting this surgery so bad - I am a self pay. My husband said we will just have to treat it like a car payment and my life is more important. - I hope he still feels that way after a few years of payments! lol

Well, if any of you have had a prior gastric bypass or if anyone has any thoughts for me, I welcome the comments. Hope everyone is having a great day!

Christy

Welcome CAWalsh, and congratulations on your upcoming date.

I didn't experience very much pain after the surgery, except for the pain in my left shoulder that was referred from the diaphragm. I was banded the same time as a friend and she suffered much less with it.

As far as being selfish, I don't believe that you are. See this as an investment in your family. Remember, what's good for Mom is good for everyone. I'm sure your kids will want you to be a grandparent to their own children someday.

Congratulations.....I am happy that you have a surgery date set...that is great..I had some pain....not anything that was unbearable...I did take my meds, and I had so much gas, but the liquid gas-x took care of it....I couldn't go back to work after just a couple of days....I had to be off for over a week...but.....I am 54 years old....and I also had a hernia repaired at the same time I had the surgery...so....I think alot of the pain I had was from that and not the banding...I hurt in my back...

good luck...hope all goes well....

How do you get all the pretty stuff on your comments or replys??

Hello, I don't think you are being selfish at all, I think you are being a loving mother to want to be better ,and live longer, for your children and yourself. I have a quick question for someone, I need to lose about 140lbs, can I do that with the lap band, or would Gastric bypass be the one for me? If your pcp recomends you for lap band, is that what you have to get, or can the surgeon get the insurance company to pay for either? I'm not against the lap band, but i just want to make sure i get the right one for me, which ever it is. Thanks in advance for the help.

OMG! You just had surgery 2 days ago. How do you feel??? How long were you in the hospital??? I am hoping I will have surgery at the end of May or June. Tell me how your doing??? Any regrets yet???

OMG! You just had surgery 2 days ago. How do you feel??? How long were you in the hospital??? I am hoping I will have surgery at the end of May or June. Tell me how your doing??? Any regrets yet???

Yes, all in all, I am feeling okay. I am trying to get all my liquids in, seems to be hard, I feel overfull a lot. Crazy huh??? Anyway, I have been dealing with a headache and I am not sure if it is from the surgery or from my sinuses acting up. I do have seasonal allergies. Who knows! I was at the hospital by 6am and out of the hospital same day by almost 3pm. No regrets, just wish I could lay down comfortably. That seems to be an issue as well. Other than those few things, I can honestly say that I am glad I did this. Good luck to you and cannot wait to hear how you are doing. Take Care!