Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Guy considering surgery - need guidance

Hi. I'm 44 years old, male, 5'10", 218LBs, with a BMI of 31.3...technically..um...obese. I've peaked at 220 and the weight battle has been there since I was a teen. I've had some great stretches at losing it and keeping it off but here I am again. I have high-blood pressure (on meds) and pre-diabetic. Having a 3yo and a 1yo is currently taking away the time and energy I could use to exercise regularly. Then again, living in NYC, I do walk a lot.

Like many on this board, my family history does not help my cause and I know that the weight is likely to be a struggle for the rest of my life. I am tired of fighting and I want to be healthy and alive and active for my kids. Also, by eating less (post-op) my children will see me eating small portions which I think could be a good example for them.

Did the info session at NYU and it is likely, given my BMI, almost certain it won't be covered by insurance. The cost would be 24K inclusive of follow-ups and fills. Dr. Fielding or Ren.

I have some questions and concerns. Given my BMI of 31.3, which I think is on low end of the spectrum for most, is it too big of a step for me to get banded? Am I crazy for wanting this? Am I just being weak?

Also, my life is very food centric...social dinners, meeting the guys for steak, deep interest in food, etc... Emotionally, once banded, will I be able to get over this or will I miss it forever? Finally, I have read on this board many people struggling with post banding complications ranging from swallowing to reflux to not losing weight to regaining weight. I cannot get a true sense how common these are and thus, how likely this it to happen to me.

Any specific or general guidance/info you can share would be greatly appreciated. :help:

Thanks and congrats to all of you who have taken such a bold and positive step in your lives. :clap2:

- OlympusNYC

You have good questions but they are awfully broad for one post. Sort of like Banding 101: Past Present and Future.

The best thing you can do is spend time reading and searching on this forum. Your questions have been discussed quite a bit before, and you can get a lot of good information.

I'll add a couple brief responses. A BMI of 31 is pretty low for banding. It's not that you are "weak." There are too many reasons for being obese to just pin it all on personal weakness. The more pertinent question is, with a relatively small amount of weight to lose, does the risk-benefit analysis may start to shift away from banding. There are some risks to banding, and the usual line we have here is: Whatever the risks are, the risk you are taking by not losing weight is much greater due to heart problems, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. But in your case, this may not be true. It may not necessarily be in your best interest to get banded, from a strictly health perspective.

And by the way, there are options for self-pay that are much lower than $24K. You should easily be able to get it done for half that or less. Check out some of the threads relating to affordable cost and you'll find good info.

Still, people in your BMI range have gotten banded. You might want to check out a thread on here called "Lower BMI Bandsters." or something like that. I bet these issues have been discussed a lot.

As for life being food-centric, I think that is true for most of us, fat or thin. When the band is working perfectly and you are in control of your situation and working with the band instead of against it, it is possible to enjoy most foods and participate in all the food oriented festivities. You just need to eat much smaller portions.

If you have a habit of going out with your buddies for steak, and they are used to seeing you eat a 64 oz porterhouse, and all of a sudden, you are full after 4 oz, there is going to be some 'splainin' to do on one level or another. You can create a cover story, like, you are on a diet, or just tell all, or whatever. But it may be that friends and family will notice that your habits are changing. But that does not mean that you can't still participate in holidays and social life, etc. The bottom line is, life with the band is not about a lifetime of unfulfilled cravings and deprivation. The band is just a tool to help you get full and stay full on much smaller portions.

Shortly after surgery, while you are healing, you may experience hunger for a few weeks. But once you are "up and running" with the band, you should not experience much hunger.

So, this is just a small introduction. There is so much more to discuss, and so many other points of view from other people. If I were you, I would just start digging into past threads, and use the search function. And, this is not a criticism, but just a suggestion: when you do ask questions on the forum, try taking smaller bites. That way you can get more complete answers to specific questions.

Good luck sorting it all out.

By the way, I just noticed that my last post to you was my post #666. Coincidence? Maybe not. You should probably disregard everything I said. :biggrin1: :hungry: :heh:

Mark, that was a GREAT observation...LOL..I needed a smile right about then when I read that, and you did it for me...thanks...Deanna

Regarding the OP...talk to your doctor and see what he/she thinks...If all the co morbidities run in your family then it might be a serious consideration for you...

I doubt insurance will pay for the surgery but I do know you picked first rate surgeons if you decide to go ahead with it. Getting banded will in no way assure that you'll have no weight issues in the future and the social and emotional aspects of over eating are not addressed with the band. You will still need to diet and exercise. If you're a junk food eater (as opposed to high volume eater) keep in mind that simple carbs ease on down... banded or not.

Because your surgeons have done a lot of bandings, ask what the stats are on low BMI male patients and ask if you can meet one or two.