Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico Bandsters and Texas Fills

Guest g103859

Guest g103859

Anyone ever go South to have the band? Anyone go to Dr Kuri, what was the experience? What would you do differently?

Anyone know of Drs in Texas that perform fills for Mexico Banded Patients?

I am still in my research stages of this surgery. Any help and guidance is much appreciated!

Oh wow g10...these ladies will give you lots of info on going to Mx. I myself was banded here, but there is lots of info on this site as to lots of others' experiences, pluses and minuses to going to mx. I'm sure these ladies will take good care of you!! Good luck and let us know what you decide or if we can help in any way!

Katie

I was banded locally by a dr. who doesn't accept other patients. But I wanted to wish you best of luck on your journey. Please research, research, research. There is so much to learn. Please keep us posted.:cool:

I went to Mexico and had an Inamed(lap band)

If you go to Inameds site www.lap-band.com

and click on surgeon locator in your area a list will come up and you can call all of the docs in Texas to see if they take Mexican patients. Many docs in the US will not take Mexican patients and if they do they charge and high price ( some don't)..but arranging your aftercare in your area is so important if you are not planning on going back to TJ for fills. I have read about many patients who have been banded in Mexico to only find out they can not get aftercare in their local area. My experience in Mexico was great, no regrets. I live in Southern CA so going to Mexico for my aftercare is fairly easy.

Guest g103859

Marie,

Thanks! I have talked with Dr Spivaks office. Tell me about your experience.. Did insurance cover it and if you dont mind what insurance do you have? He is only about 3K more than Dr Kuri!

How long did it take before you got in for surgery and what did you have to do to get your surgery - any certain criteria?

Any advice you can give is welcomed..

R

Guest g103859

Thanks Michelle.

Dr Kuri is who I have been talking with. I live in Fort Worth, Texas and was hoping that someone around here would be willing to do the fills. I am not getting insurance to pay for it. I dont meet their criteria. BUT my insurance is changing for 2005 so maybe it will then. Dont know.

I just registered at the lap band site so hopefully I can get a list of Drs that will do it.

I appreciate you! I just dont think that after a while I could continually afford to go to San Diego for fills. !

Hey, girl, have you checked w/ Betty (Iluvharleys)? She's getting banded on Monday w/ a great dr. in your area. She's going as a self-pay and can answer a lot of your ??

My dr. has a very informative website (and it also discusses self-pays). I love him and his staff. I have United Health Care (PPO). But everyone's health insurance is different. You have to check out your specific policy and it's specific exclusions. I was first denied, appealed, then 8 months later got my band. (Most don't take that long. Not sure what the hold up was.)

Are you absolutely sure that you don't meet insurance criteria for the band? You might want to double check. If you're planning on self-pay, that should really speed things up, no matter who you decide to use.

Best of luck to you and please keep us posted!:cool:

Guest g103859

Betty please write me about Dr. Provost(msp) - I would LOVE to visit with you!

Marie - I have annual renewal for insurance. I currently have Cigna HMO and they will not cover it. We have tried. My BMI is below 40 and I have not been on a structured monitored Physicians diet for 1 year. I am looking at renewing our insurance with UHC PPO or PPO Plus one has a deductible of $400 and the other has a deductible 1000 - so far the exclusions have not been identified. I probably will not know until the year begins. I do know that no matter what after the deductible I will pay 80%.

Do you know which insurance you have with UHC?

I have heard that UHC no matter which plan you have unless specifically excluded covers it and they are great about it! That makes me excited! I just dont know which one to choose. My husbands company is putting the plans together now wo I will probably have no idea until it is too late :cool:

I am on lots of boards hoping someone has any insight!

O.K., I have pm'd my dr. website to you. I'm not advertising for him. But he has an excellent pre-op questionnaire that asks you all about previous attempts at weight loss. I'm sure there are things on there that you have done and have forgotten.

Have you pm'd Betty (Iluvharleys) and asked her for info.? She is great at collecting info.

Best of luck to you!:cool:

Guest g103859

Marie,

What does PM mean ? :cool: newbie question I know sorry! I really appreciate you!

Rachel

No problem. PM means "Private Message." (Sorry, I forget that I had to learn that too!) It should just pop up on your screen when you're on this forum. But sometimes it doesn't. To check it manually, go to the top and click on "User CP", then click on "Private Messages." It will tell you if you have any unread PM. Then just click on it and read.:cool:

Guest g103859

Betty,

I have not received the PM yet, I look forward to it though.

I appreicate your help!

Rachel

wannabe banded