Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I dont think it is "cocky" to be glad that you dont have the problems that others speak about...I think YOU were glad as is everyone that doesnt have terrrible complications...I think that is a really good point to look at too...Dont ever think that anything like this wont happen to you...it can and it might....just be ready to get to doctor right away and keep fighting for your rights as a patient....you shouldnt have to wait when you are is sooo much pain..Good luck to you...Deanna

I've only been experiencing being completely shut for one day and I too was banded last July. I think I had the same mentality because up until now I had no complications whatsoever. After this im at a point where I just want this crap out of me! No offence to those loving their band but after one day of PAIN and being really scared its like you just want relief nomatter what the cost. Thats how I feel after ONE day, so I don't know how you are making it after so many days like this one.

I just went through the exact same thing (see my thread in the Complications Section).

I have spent two separate days at the hospital. The first day I was so swollen that the only thing the surgeon could determine via xray for sure was extreme gastritis, but he did also see that I had slipped. I was completely unfilled and put on Clear Liquids for two days (by that point I had thrown up everything including tiny sips of Water for almost 72 hours), then full liquids for two days, then mushies. Mushies had me pb'ing again within hours.

Now that the swelling from the gastritis had gone down, and my band was deflated, I went in for another set of xrays yesterday. My stomach has herniated over my band and I have an esophageal stricture as well, which was caused by the vomiting.

I have an endoscopy tomorrow morning where they will check for esophagitis (which they basically know I have), ulcers, and abnormal cancer cells.

On Thursday I will have surgery to repair my herniated stomach and reposition my band. Then I get to start over. At least this time I get to start at 75 pounds down :-)

There is no reason for those of you that have closed up to have to have your band removed, unless it has eroded. However, get unfilled ASAP and stay on Clear Liquids until instructed otherwise. Do not risk any additional vomiting under these circumstances or a slip is PROBABLE if you don't already have one.

Also, a note to self payers (which I was). If your surgeon does need to operate and you have similar circumstances, most insurance companies will cover WLS complications. Request that your surgeon code the surgery as an "acute obstruction" and you will most likely be covered!! I have BCBS, by the way.

I just had my band put on (Friday) May 11. My stomach swelled shut right away. Horrible pain, vomiting, couldn't even keep saliva down went back to emergency room early Sunday morning. I knew enough to reallize I could get in real trouble if I was dehydrated so I was put on IV's, I'm 59 and the emergency room staff were concerned I might even be having a heart attack as the symptoms are similar (apparently women show different symptoms than men in heart attacks). It was finally determined band was too small and had replacement with larger band on Tuesday Morning. Just released today and have been able to keep liquids down. HURRAH! I am surprised to hear it can happen again! ARGH!. :faint: Very, very painful experience. I guess at least this way I can notice the signs earlier than I did with this initial incidence, I hope.

I can really feel your pain, truly. I too had instant relief when the band was replaced. I hope I will NEVER go through is again.

You are in my prayers.

Ange A

Surgery: May 11, 2007

This is a great website. THank you for sharing your thoughts.

Im all better too. I had a complete unfill this morning and it was INSTANT relief. Im on clear liquids for two days and full liquids for one day after that. They did the fleuro and my band was perfectly placed with no slippage. The doc attributed my problem to probably one of two things. I either ate something that irritated my stomach or have a virus that made my stomach swell. Either way after a few days I'll be back to a normal diet. I can get my fill back in 3 weeks. Wewww was I happy that everything went so well!

Karik

where did you go to get your unfill. I use Dr. Spiegel as well and am having major problems. I need an unfill immediately.

He is only in the office Tues and Thurs - so wondering where to go in the meantime. I am in Atlanta right now and will have to make an emergency trip home to do this.

Gosh you guys are put throught the wringer over there with your health system!

That sounds very scary, I dont really fear erosion or slippage but I feel extremely vulnerable to this type of thing happening. Thank goodness I tend to be quite immune to stomach viruses or if I pick them up, I get diarrhoea but often no vomiting. Yet, I'm terrified of it. I dread finishing my degree and being exposed to everythign when I begin teaching kids. I'm sure I'll be getting every cough and cold going round for a while, I can deal with that but not the gastro.

I keep medication to hand just in case.

I just had my band put on (Friday) May 11. My stomach swelled shut right away. Horrible pain, vomiting, couldn't even keep saliva down went back to emergency room early Sunday morning. I knew enough to reallize I could get in real trouble if I was dehydrated so I was put on IV's, I'm 59 and the emergency room staff were concerned I might even be having a heart attack as the symptoms are similar (apparently women show different symptoms than men in heart attacks). It was finally determined band was too small and had replacement with larger band on Tuesday Morning. Just released today and have been able to keep liquids down. HURRAH! I am surprised to hear it can happen again! ARGH!. :faint: Very, very painful experience. I guess at least this way I can notice the signs earlier than I did with this initial incidence, I hope.

I can really feel your pain, truly. I too had instant relief when the band was replaced. I hope I will NEVER go through is again.

You are in my prayers.

Ange A

Surgery: May 11, 2007

This is a great website. THank you for sharing your thoughts.

Hopefully that won't happen to you again, Ange. I wish you the best of luck!! It's hard at first, but after a few months of having the band, you won't even notice the fact that you're "restricted." You'll just see it all as a natural part of your life... because it will be.

I'm sooo glad you're feeling better, KariK!!!

Karik

where did you go to get your unfill. I use Dr. Spiegel as well and am having major problems. I need an unfill immediately.

He is only in the office Tues and Thurs - so wondering where to go in the meantime. I am in Atlanta right now and will have to make an emergency trip home to do this.

I would call a nearby clinic and see if they have anyone there such as a PA who could do it for you. Wouldn't hurt to try. I don't know where you should go in your neck of the woods however because Im not from TX, I live quite a few states away.. I just had my lapband placed by Dr. Speigel because of his experience and low rate of problems. Sorry I can't be more help. If you end up going to the emergency room and noone there is familiar with the lapband, tell them you have a port like much like a medi-port and you need them to remove Fluid from it. Anyone trained on medi-ports would be able to help you.

Glad to hear you are ok icuwalsh! It is the most horrible thing lol. I don't think anyone who hasn't experienced it could possibly understand lol.