Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Sure if I Got my First Fill or Not

I was getting my first fill 6 weeks post-surgery. The doctor said he was giving me a 1.5 fill. I was lying on the table and he had me sit partially up a few time to help him find my port. He then inserted the needle. It was in there quite a while and burned a little bit. He then withdrew it and then reinserted in and said something like “that’s it.” It burned a bit again. Then I felt liquid oozing on me and the doctor said “Don’t worry, it is not coming from you. I just had extra liquid.” The needle felt like it was still in me when this happened. After I saw the needle was out, I asked if any liquid got into me and he said “yes, I just had extra liquid.”

Afterwards, I asked him about the post-fill diet instructions. He started handing me written instructions, then stopped and started to say something, then he said “never mind” and to follow the instructions and give it at least two weeks to see if I feel a difference. It seemed like he wanted to tell me something and then changed his mind.

I am not too confident, that I got a fill. I think maybe the liquid never got into me and was just spilled on my skin. Maybe he was going to tell me that and then changed his mind. I don’t feel any differently although it is only 2 days after the “fill.” Am I just being neurotic? I asked the doctor once if I got a fill, I don't want to ask him again.

Did you ever get “extra liquid” spilled on you during a fill?

Never, all the liquid in there usually went directly in the port and then my nurse throws out the seringe.... and it takes her less than 5-7 seconds to find my port everytime.

I know about the neurotic part. At one point I needed a tiny unfill and afterwards I obsessed over whether the surgeon may have given me another fill instead of taking some out. One thing I can say is that it usually takes me several days for me to feel it. For me the fill has to settle in and that take four days or so. My doctor has no post-fill protocol and I also obsessed over that. Other people were reporting being on all liquids, etc. and I always felt kind of hungry. But it has all worked out fine so now I can "believe" in it all and not worry so much about everything.

If it's a fill- you know it. They jab that needle right into your stomach to the port. There's no way not to know

In the beginning, you won't feel a restriction and be ravenous until they fill it to close to your sweet spot.

If you want to see how they do it and how much fill you have or are getting ASK the doc to show you before/after he fills you.

Personally, I watch what's going on rather than stare at the ceiling.

the more inquisitive you are at the more you'll be 'connected' with your band.

Oh gosh u guys r a help. Had first fill yesterday. Cant get much down except liquids. But soooo hungry. Like hungrier than ever since i got banded 6 weeks ago. Started worrying but sounds like pretty normal ????

I got my 4th fill dec.1 and was doing fine until yesterday when i i tried to ear dinner. Its like everything i ate was getting stuck. Does thar mean i need to have some taken out