Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Baby steps...New beginnings

Hello All,

I'm a newcomer to the blogs. I've been reading different ones for a couple of weeks now and have found them very encouraging and informative. I'm 51 yrs. old and have been struggling with my weight basically all my life. I would say I'm a curvy girl with a lot of "Junk in the trunk"! Lol! When I look at pictures from years past I see how small I was, but yet in still they continued to refer to me a "Fat". My Dr. has been very supportive of me in my life for the past 23yrs, but now due to many health problems he has "Strongly" suggested WLS. I must say he has also been patient, with my weight loss journey, but enough is enough! We are in the process of getting all the insurance requirements together. I have been on Jenny Criaig, Weight Watchers, Fad Diets, and have even been to a Dr. for B12 shots! Now I look at my mortality and realize that I have to do something quick, fast and in a hurry.

I suffer from sleep Apnea, Fibromyalgia, lower back problems due to being born with Spina Bifida in my tail bone which cause pain constanly, carpel tunnel, arthritis, Lymphedema in my right arm due to surgery for Breast Cancer, which I'm happy to say I've been Cancer free for 10 yrs.!!! :) So need I say more. I'm a young person and need to feel the way I feel in my heart, and I know that WLS is what I need to do.

My plan is to have the Gastric Sleeve. I have been researching a lot of blogs and decided to order the Meal Replacements to give myself an idea of what to expect. I had been doing the Green smoothie Challenge and figured this would be better since it is what is required prior to surgery. So far it's not been too bad. I'm not hungry and haven't been craving bad things, but then my problem with my eating habits have not been eating too much, it's not eating enough and then eating everything wrong!

I am still going through my feelings about the surgery and I'm looking for support groups in my area as well as online to help me through the process which from what I'm hearing can take up to 6 months. In the meantime I will continue to do the meal replacements and continue to blog to get the needed support. Thanks for listening :D

I'm not sure if your PCP plans to refer you to a bariatric surgeon or if you will be researching this on your own. It's a good idea to attend a weigh loss seminar where you can get all the info and ask questions. Or in my case, I researched and picked my own surgeon and called and made an appointment for a consultation. I first made sure my surgery was covered by my insurance and that I was picking a Center for Excellence. Best on your journey to better health AND on being a survivor!

It's one of the best decision I've ever made in my life I would sooo recommend it I had the sleeve in May 2014 so in 5 1/2 months I've lost 80 pounds and just about to meet my goal!! So best wishes to you!!!