Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Removal Details

Hey everyone,

I posted a while back about some issues I am having with the band. I have decided that having it removed was the best thing for me. I havent told my doctor yet, but we have been discussing the discomfort I've been having. I am set to have an x-ray this week to try to figure out what is going on. Whether he finds something seriously wrong or not I am gonna ask him about removing it. I'm kinda worried about him trying to talk me out of it or refusing to do it. Im also concerned that my insurance will refuse to pay for it. Anybody else "volunteer" to give up their band or am I the only weirdo:) ? Ive been trying to find specific information about the removal process with little luck. I was hoping those who have had it could give me some insight. When researching the band everyone touts about it being easily reversible, is this true? Once removed does everything go back to pre-band state? Any permanent after-effects? Is the surgical procedure, hospital stay, and recovery time similar to having to having it put in? Im a big crybaby when it comes to pain so I kinda want to know exactly what to expect with any medical procedure. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks for all the support.

Hey everyone,

I posted a while back about some issues I am having with the band. I have decided that having it removed was the best thing for me. I havent told my doctor yet, but we have been discussing the discomfort I've been having. I am set to have an x-ray this week to try to figure out what is going on. Whether he finds something seriously wrong or not I am gonna ask him about removing it. I'm kinda worried about him trying to talk me out of it or refusing to do it. Im also concerned that my insurance will refuse to pay for it. Anybody else "volunteer" to give up their band or am I the only weirdo:) ? Ive been trying to find specific information about the removal process with little luck. I was hoping those who have had it could give me some insight. When researching the band everyone touts about it being easily reversible, is this true? Once removed does everything go back to pre-band state? Any permanent after-effects? Is the surgical procedure, hospital stay, and recovery time similar to having to having it put in? Im a big crybaby when it comes to pain so I kinda want to know exactly what to expect with any medical procedure. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks for all the support.

What discomfort? What is going on, specifically?

Inamed claims that surgeons are quite clear that the stomach will go back to a pre-banded state over time. Days/weeks. The recovery for band removal is easier than placing a band. Hospital stay is typically (in the US) an outpatient procedure. Some docs claim it is more difficult to remove the band because they need to remove all the scar tissue so the procedure takes a little longer. Some don't remove the scar tissue and just remove the band.

If you don't have a medical necessity for removing it and if it is considered an elective procedure, insurance may or may not pay for it. Alexandra would be a better one to direct that question.

Hi BBW,

I had my band removed (UNvoluntarily) on April 9th. It was an outpatient procedure and I was home in a few hours. The next day I felt absolutely fine, and after a few days of liquids for healing I felt 100% normal. It was a lot easier than the initial placement surgery. No residual restriction, sad to say, but no other aftereffects of any kind. My doctor said even if there is internal swelling or anything else it all should be resolved in 4-6 weeks.

As for your insurance covering it, that's doubtful unless (as Bubble said) there is a medical reason for it to be removed. That's something to discuss with your doctor. There may in fact be a medical reason for your discomfort and unhappiness that you haven't found.

Thanks for the replies. I am having some soreness in the port area. Especially when I try to lay down. Its nothing major, some days its a little irritating though. My reasons for wanting it removed have more to do with my personal issues than a physical problem. My doc didn't do the original surgery. He said that my port was put in an unusual place (near my ribs) and has offered to reposition it after we get the x-rays. But instead I would rather him just take it out. I was thinking the pain and the odd position of the band could be my "medical" excuse for having it removed.

Really think this through. Maybe if you unfill it for a while or even get the port repositioned before you decide to remove it would be better. Take your time please

How has your weight loss been? You may not want to get into your personal reasons for having your band removed, but just think about all the reasons you had the band put it in the first place. A little discomfort that your surgeon has offered to fix doesn't seem like enough of a reason. If you tell us a few more details we may be able to help better. Whatever you do, we will support you through the process, but just make sure it is really the best decision and not one made after a short period of frustration with the band. Because we all have those days/weeks!

I've taken out some bands, it's sort of like if you get a cut on your skin and have to go to the ER to get it stitched up. After the stitches are removed, the skin isn't really the same, but for all intents and purposes it is. When I remove a band I usually just cut it and slip it out of the tunnel, leaving the sutures in as you can't tell they're there and they don't affect the function of your stomach at all. Only takes me about 20 minutes to yank one.

Dr. Trace Curry Cincinnati, Ohio

Got a question? Ask the doctor at Trace W. Curry, M.D. Lap Band Surgeon :: Home

Participate in our forum--> Trace W. Curry, M.D. :: Index

513.559.1222 / 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: If am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

I loved how DrC put the "yanking" one in there...LOL...made it sound like you could almost do it yourself...

Maybe you should try going to someone who is trained in bariatric counseling and talk about it...maybe you just need a rest.. I know that I myself have had a few days where I am VERY nervous and anxious about having this band in me that I can not just get rid of....sometimes it takes A LOT of reading and looking at before and after pics to calm me down and realize that I DID MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE...I dont know...I sure hope that those feelings go away altogether one day...Deanna..Good luck in whatever you and your surgeon decide to do that is best for you!!!!! Thats what this is all about right? What is best for you for a healthy long life!!!!