Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Disney World.... Help....

Hi all,

Looking for some advice. I had my sleeve surgery 10/3. On solids now and doing ok. Still trying to get all my Protein and Water in. But I'm still exhausted, I haven't started to excercise yet and never did before surgery.

I'm scheduled for a family vacation at the end of this month(cannot get out of), I also have a 7 year old I want to keep up with. I am renting a scooter. But I'm still concerned about my energy level just getting around the parks. Obviously, I'll bring my own cooler. Any advice is appreciated?

@@kekmom You are going to have the most wonderful time!! I absolutely love Disney World. Here is my advice, for whatever it's worth:

• Take a Camelbak with you so that you can sip, sip, sip your Water. Keep in mind that you can get Water refills all around the parks and they cost you nothing. There is also a wonderful First Aid station and they have beds in cool rooms; you are welcome to go there and lay down if you ever need it or feel dehydrated.
  • There are beautiful places to sit and watch people all around the parks. My favorites around the Magic Kingdom are near the Crystal Palace looking toward Cinderella's Castle and taking a ride on the Liberty Bell to Tom Sawyer's Island. In Epcot, you can choose the soft lawns in "France", the manicured gardens in "England", or the trickling fountain in Morocco. Magical.
  • We have tiny kids, so we get reservations for Breakfast in the parks for an hour before opening. That means we are in the parks before they even open, and deal with far fewer crowds. (I hate crowds.)
  • Being post-op, you may still have trouble standing in line. If you go to the Town Hall they will give you a Disability Access Card. It kind of works like a fast pass. There are kiosks around the park where you tell them what ride you'd like to ride, and they give you a time for that ride. It, again, saves exhaustion and will help you get through lines much faster.
  • With our kids, we go in the morning and then leave after the parade in the afternoon for a nap break, and then come back in the evening for parades and fireworks. If you want to avoid the crowds, park at the Polynesian Hotel and take the monorail over to the park. *Right* after the parade, jump on a ferry back to the Polynesian and watch the fireworks from the beach. It's free, it's gorgeous, they pipe the music over. Perfection.
  • Epcot is the most scooter friendly park. Animal Kingdom is the least so. Magic Kingdom is built on a hill (Fantasyland is at the top of the hill and it slopes down from there).

Just go and enjoy yourself. Your energy level is going to pick up so much in the next couple weeks, and you are going to have the time of your life!!

--Becca

Good luck and remember to have fun. I hope you have a wonderful time!

@@kekmom, they are not allowed to ask for any paperwork or notes because of privacy laws. They used to call it the Guest Assistance Card, but then that got abused *badly* and so they've made it a little bit tougher. (With the old card, you just went straight to the Fast Pass lines when you got there. People were actually hiring disabled people to go with them to get to the front of the lines. Makes me sick.) When you enter Magic Kingdom, the Town Hall is directly to your left. Go there and just tell them "I just had surgery and am unable to stand in lines, can I please get a Disability Access Card?" They will take your picture (so you can't sell it or anything) and it is good, I believe, for up to 6 members of your party but you will need to be with them. They will explain how it works to you, but it really is a lifesaver. They are so good about making sure that everyone, of all abilities, has a fantastic time. If you go the other parks, just ask the people at the entrance for Guest Relations and they will direct you to the place where you can get your card. Easy! ^_^

Hi. I did the exact same thing. My sleeve was on September 12 and we went to Disney less than a three weeks later. I wont sugar coat it for you. My energy level was a problem. I would completely run out of energy very quickly especially when waiting in line. I did not get a scooter but on the second day my wife went to guest services to see what could be done. They gave me a disability card. This allowed me and my party to check into a ride at the fast pass line and come back at the time for return without waiting in line. This was a life saver for me. So I could check into a ride and then find a comfy spot to sit to wait for the ride time to come. Make sure you stay hydrated while there. Have fun!